Stone signed for Alabama

Discussion in 'South' started by StuartCarter, Jun 20, 2013.

1. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Apr 25, 2006 Alabama

I don't have any inside knowledge on when the product will be hitting the shelves, but Alabama will soon have Arrogant Bastard available :)

xxcarpxx and Dracarys like this.
  2. Dracarys

Dracarys May 28, 2013 Alabama

Hopefully they bring their ridiculous bomber prices with them.

3. xxcarpxx

xxcarpxx Jan 13, 2011 Alabama

Glad we're getting Stone.... I had heard they was going to be one of the first new breweries we got in, when the big bottles passed..guess that info was wrong..but I'm really surprised it took this long..

4. GoblueMS

GoblueMS Feb 24, 2009 Mississippi

AL is one of the higher priced venues available to me. BUT I will continue to enjoy the availability!! Bring Stone on! I happen to be in south Louisiana right now, and will probably buy a case of Ruination from Calandro's in BR if the price is not prohibitive.

5. cvm4

cvm4 Apr 27, 2011 Mississippi
    Beer Trader

Agreed there... 2 1/2 hours to NOLA or 3 1/2 hours to Bham. Definitely different selections available but Bama's prices + tax is a breath taker.

6. StuartCarter

Looks like August-ish for Stone products to hit the shelves.

Also looks like Victory will be joining them....

Starkbier and Dracarys like this.
  7. deesonic

deesonic Jul 29, 2004 Alabama

You may remember the state ABC had a strong aversion to the word "bastard" being on labels with the troubles Founders had with Dirty Bastard and Backwoods Bastard. They finally backed off and let those through, but I can't remember if that was before or after the bombers came. Seems like 50% or more of Stone's offerings have some variation of the word "bastard" in the name. Also, breweries don't just willy-nilly jump into new markets, especially the bigger name breweries like Stone. Stone's decision to come to Alabama has been close to a year in the making now. Alabama is a franchise state when it comes to beer/distro contracts. Distributors have the power to make or break a brand with breweries having very little control over their brand once they sign over to an Alabama distributor. Breweries have almost no way to break contract and choose a new distro either. Breweries have to be very careful coming here. I'm glad Stone finally found a distro they are comfortable with and am very happy to see them coming to market.

PS. Dig the Chuck Shuldiner avatar. I'm a big fan.

xxcarpxx likes this.
  8. Buff0910

Buff0910 Jan 20, 2013 Alabama

Finally, been hearing for months they were still deciding on a distributor. Now if we can get Lagunitas, Dogfish, Weyerbacher, and Brooklyn we'll be set.

9. StuartCarter

Lagunitas will be here sooner rather than later.

Dogfish: don't hold your breath. They withdrew from a lot of states, we ain't gonna see them any time soon.

Weyerbacher: wouldn't be surprised to see them soonish.

Brooklyn: they were here, then withdrew. No idea what the story behind that was, no idea if we'll see them again.

Buff0910 likes this.
  10. Buff0910

Stone will be a major win for us regardless of who joins them. I will love being able to pick up IRS and Enjoy By at hop city. Dogfish I could care less about really. Lagunitas and Weyerbacher will be great gets to go with Stone. I actually wrote to Firestone Walker to tell them to keep us in mind when they expand again and got a response saying who knows what 2014-15 holds. Now if we can get Deschutes too (with FW) I will be ecstatic.

xxcarpxx likes this.
  11. Dracarys

Assuming we don't lose anyone, I'd be content for a while bringing in Lagunitas and getting Cigar City back.

xxcarpxx likes this.
  12. xxcarpxx

xxcarpxx Jan 13, 2011 Alabama

Thats my biggest want, is to get Cigar City back... Oh how I wish I could get Jai Alai on the shelf, everyday...

13. deesonic

deesonic Jul 29, 2004 Alabama

Rumor is Lagunitas is signed with a distro, but not announced yet. Could be wrong though. Some other comings and goings in Alabama...

Anderson Valley is pulling out of market.
    Brooklyn is relaunching soon.
    Cigar City MIGHT be relaunching soon or at least putting out an Alabama only release of some kind.

14. goldenpeanut

goldenpeanut Apr 11, 2006 Alabama

I can confirm that CCB will be releasing an "Alabama only", hopefully this fall, because Ron and I are a part of this project. It is a collaboration between Wayne Wambles (CCB head brewer), Jeremy Pate of Folklore Brewing and Meadery (to release this fall) and Ron and Sharon, founders and head of the Moola Brewclub of Dothan. Wayne and Jeremy were the first members of our fledgling club. This collaboration is to celebrate the legalization of homebrewing and how we all met through beer 15+ years ago and where we have all ended up because of it. It will be a small batch, distributed throughout the state, in draft , 12oz cans and will be served in the tasting room in Tampa. The recipe was created by all of us and has been finalized, label is being created to be submitted for approval, and hopefully will be brewed in late summer.

Cheers,
    Sharon

15. StuartCarter

just heard that Lagunitas have signed as well :)

xxcarpxx and Buff0910 like this.
  16. EgadBananas

EgadBananas Mar 18, 2009 Louisiana

All of Stone's bombers are $4-$5 for the year rounds, and $6-$8 for the high ABV seasonals/one-offs...I'm having a hard time figuring out why that's considered expensive...especially when they're all great.

17. Dracarys

Ridiculous as in half the cost of pretty much every bomber I can find here.

18. EgadBananas

please enlighten me as to what you're buying that costs $2-$4 a bomber in Alabama? Cuz looking at your distribution, calling Stone expensive by comparison is a load of shit.

19. Buff0910

Bro, I think u are misunderstanding him. He is saying Stone's prices are ridiculously cheap when compared to everyone else. No need to be a dick.

20. EgadBananas

Not being a dick, bro. I definitely did misunderstand his use of ridiculous. "Ridiculous" tends to be used in reference to higher priced beer, which naturally confused me about the statement.

My apologies for the confusion to Dracarys.

xxcarpxx likes this.
  21. mrw1zard

mrw1zard Apr 5, 2013 Alabama
    Beer Trader

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe