1. Introducing the Respect Beer® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to add-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Stone to Release Espresso Totalitarian Imperial Stout

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by SoCal_Matt, Mar 8, 2019.

1. SoCal_Matt

SoCal_Matt Disciple (320) Jul 13, 2014 California
    Trader

[​IMG]

Per Stone's various Instagram accounts, they will be releasing Espresso Totalitarian Imperial Stout in both six packs and 22 ounce bombers. Available at Stone locations this weekend, with their main account saying national distribution next month.

Personally, I'm super excited for this one. I know that a lot of members have posted in various threads wishing they would bring back the Espresso IRS from 2013 (myself included) and it appears that they have heard the pleas. While it's not exactly the same beer, it will hopefully just be as good as the original from 2013. Very happy with the six pack format as well. Hopefully, Stone will put out more re-releases like this in the future (Old Guardian, etc.). This is a great move on their part IMO.

2. Ronmarley1

Ronmarley1 Initiate (87) Jan 20, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

It’s already in Ohio; bought a couple of cans yesterday. Made a special trip just to buy it.

3. SoCal_Matt

SoCal_Matt Disciple (320) Jul 13, 2014 California
    Trader

That's crazy but lucky for you! It's always perplexing to me how "non-local markets" get beers before the area right around the brewery. Firestone Walker is probably the worst offender of this phenomenon.

4. Ronmarley1

Ronmarley1 Initiate (87) Jan 20, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

Mine are from Richmond, by the way. Now, if we could just get the Ruination Sans Filtre in the buckeye state...

5. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Devotee (466) Mar 19, 2012 California

Interesting. I haven't bought anything from Stone from over a year. May have to actually reconsider...especially if they bring back OG and Double Bastard.

Hoppedelic and SomethingClever like this.
  6. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,397) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

With Stone being in Casper now, I hope to see it on the shelves. .

7. Obsidian81

Obsidian81 Initiate (41) Mar 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I'm really looking forward to this beer. I love coffee stouts, and I thought Totalitarian was absolutely awesome.

8. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (460) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

I'll do a drive by of TW Norfolk tomorrow before/after Makers opening, hopefully they got this in. Loved Totalitarian, can only get better with espresso

Hoppedelic likes this.
  9. RacerX5k

RacerX5k Disciple (334) Feb 11, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Of course I will try but the regular beer stinks, I had one and that was more than enough. Yes they need to make the original icon and the 2013 Espresso version again. Sometimes change doesn't work.

thegodfather2701 likes this.
  10. waltari

waltari Initiate (64) Jan 28, 2016 Georgia

I wouldn't go that far, but I was not impressed by it to say the least.

11. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (460) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Not yet at Norfolk TW... so got some Jackie O's/Ballast Point/Ninkasi stuff to keep me company.

12. HopsAreDaMan

HopsAreDaMan Defender (636) Jul 28, 2015 Missouri
    Society

I think the base beer is amazing, and if I remember rightly the last time I had it, I thought it was a quintessential RIS.

I had the base beer at 3 and 6 months old, respectively; both were amazing. I think the base beer is one of those beers that really benefits from a bit of age--esp. given that I believe this recipe is basically the same as their original RIS which is known for benefiting greatly from aging. However, coffee stouts don't usually maintain the coffee flavor for long, and so in my experience are best consumed within 6 - 12 months, if not earlier (although SMS is an exception and was still amazing at two years old).

I remember that their Americano Stout was really good as well.

I am looking forward to trying this coffee version of their Totalitarian RIS.

13. MaltheadWeirdo

MaltheadWeirdo Aspirant (222) Nov 18, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Society

I liked it quite a bit last year. I was glad that someone made a stout that was thick and rich without being roasted to the point of burnt.

14. EmperorBatman

EmperorBatman Initiate (40) Mar 16, 2018 District of Columbia

Does this mean that they will be doing another release of Totalitarian without the addition of espresso?

I find that the Totalitarian did very well after a year of cellaring, but I fear that won't be the same if there is coffee in the brew that could oxidize and go stale.

15. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (304) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

I would not age the one with coffee, that never works for me. IRS/Totalitarian ages beautifully though.