Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Stone Vertical Epic Ale Live Tasting - Thu, Nov 15 @ 12pm PT

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Todd, Nov 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Feb 24, 2011 Wyoming

I have only tried the 11 11 11 vertical, I do like hearing about these other beers.

2. GoGators

GoGators Aug 5, 2010 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I love Greg Koch but not digging the Unabomber look.

kingcrowing and suspect like this.
  3. Keffa

Keffa Jan 8, 2009 Ohio
    Beer Trader

SPOILER ALERT!

Do not scroll down if you want to keep your Vertical Epic 02/02/02 as a surprise for yourself.

This was posted on Stone's Facebook 7 minutes ago (12:23 PST):

[​IMG]
    Stone Brewing Co.
    Just cracked open a Stone 02.02.02 Vertical Epic Ale bottle, initial thoughts: tasting honey, tart aroma, complex with nice spice characteristics.

4. jtmartino

jtmartino Dec 11, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

I'm betting 2/2/2 doesn't taste nearly as good as their FB posting makes it sound. Unless, of course, it got WAY better in the last few years.

It's a 7.5% Belgian-yeast witbier. You can't really expect much. I thought it was bland, boring, and developing into a muted mess when I had it back in 2009.

But there's no way in hell I'd turn it down, given the chance to try it again. :)

5. leedorham

leedorham Apr 27, 2006 Washington

Wow, they should have prefunked or something. This thing is awkward so far.

drewba, ShogoKawada and dogfish90 like this.
  6. Gushue3

Gushue3 Jun 10, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Great to see Greg burn that cicerone to his left, guy seems like a d-nozzle

bifrost17 likes this.
  7. JRod1969

JRod1969 Nov 23, 2010 New York

Am I too late to make the Last supper joke with Greg loooking like Jesus?

robinsmv likes this.
  8. BobCobb

BobCobb Jul 10, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

All of a sudden I feel like Lebron's "The Decision" was Oscar-worthy.

suspect and crushedvol like this.
  9. JRod1969

You know when an addict hits rock bottom and admits he has a problem? I feel like this might be the ah-ha moment of my beernerdness as I was just asked what I was doing and hearing myself say watching a live feed of 10 dudes I don't personally know drinking beer and talking about it felt like the lamest thing in the world. On the other hand, it might just be beer envy as I am currently drinking diet Coke.

afksports, ant880, tronto and 4 others like this.
  10. JRod1969

Did they just "bogart" my Last Supper reference?

11. TheBigEast

TheBigEast Oct 21, 2004 New York
    Beer Trader

The 02 bottle's value is going to go up after this tasting - the fear has always been that it would not hold up but that has not been the case at least with this tasting.

12. SubpoenaDeuces

SubpoenaDeuces Feb 3, 2011 California

crazy beats strong every time.

libbey likes this.
  13. robinsmv

robinsmv Jun 24, 2010 Florida

I think they did, and they stole my shaving the beard joke

14. floraday

floraday Mar 8, 2009 California

What's up with no ladies getting the evite?

15. leedorham

leedorham Apr 27, 2006 Washington

They were only interested in the opinion of one demographic.

drewba and floraday like this.
  16. herrburgess

herrburgess Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

I think you now have your answer to the question: who geeks out most ridiculously? People are actually tuning in to watch a livestream of other beer geeks drinking old beer. Amazing.

17. jl28r1

jl28r1 Jan 10, 2011 Texas

That was pretty cool, I hope there are more things like this in the future.

18. grilledsquid

grilledsquid Jul 10, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

I didn't get to see the live feed. What did the cicerone say and what Greg's response?

19. ImperialStoat

ImperialStoat May 20, 2009 Ireland

I think I did too.

20. herrburgess

herrburgess Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Why? Because that is what an entire segment of U.S. craft beer culture has become: Bildungsphilister. Aside from the ridiculousness of the "event" itself, it is all about exclusion and not inclusion. Alienating to "those who have invested major time...into acquiring a vertical of their own"? What about to those who are just getting into beer? Those with limited funds? Is this beer advocacy?

The group involved in this preliminary stunt, as well as those waiting in the wings to replicate it, are not trying to be beer guides, in the tradition of, say, Michael Jackson, who would travel to various beer destinations, drink what the locals are drinking, and invite anyone and everyone watching to do the same; rather they are self-appointed, self-important "experts" drinking (and brewing) beers specifically and exclusively for themselves and their ilk.

What really puts this over the top, however, is that they broadcast this "once-in-a-lifetime experience" live, on the Internet, in an effort to showcase what can only be seen as their self-importance...all the while equating it with the greatest, most ambitious brewing achievements in history. Unbelieveable. And truly, truly sad.

21. Gushue3

Gushue3 Jun 10, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Greg called him out on some tastings he was tooting his horn about. Nothing gigantic but perfectly placed. Well done Jesus Koch

22. rousee

rousee Aug 13, 2004 Massachusetts

I really enjoyed watching the whole thing. The chat room was fun but annoying too. Made me want a beer asap !

23. JohnGalt1

JohnGalt1 Aug 10, 2005 Idaho
    Beer Trader

So does anybody know WHAT the 12.12.12 is going to be?

24. SpdKilz

SpdKilz Jan 8, 2009 Illinois
    Subscriber Beer Trader

FeDUBBELFIST likes this.
  25. FeDUBBELFIST

FeDUBBELFIST Oct 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

The question that I replied to was asking why have this tasting on 11/15/12 as opposed to 12/12/12. My point was that Greg and company are 'damned if you, damned if you don't.' Both sides can't possibly be pleased (as evidenced by this thread alone). And I was giving a view from each side of the sword.

26. DunnDiego

DunnDiego Apr 28, 2010 California

This was like a special "Pre" tasting to the actual event that will be happening on 12-12-12. Just for Hot Shots and Big Wigs (and friends of Big Wigs... I'm looking at you Stephen!) ;)

I'm going on 12-12 and I'm pretty excited, as I've only tried the '07 and up. Sounds like the consensus was that the '05 was the best/most complex/held up to the aging.

27. Travisnin

Travisnin Oct 10, 2010 Idaho
    Beer Trader

This is what I heard
    Stone 12/12/12 will be a dark Belgian abbey-ish ale brewed with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, sweet orange peel, clove (only a little!), and rosehips

28. beerFool28607

beerFool28607 Feb 22, 2012 North Carolina

Did that ever happen?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe