Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Stores messing up prices to your benefit.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jwheeler87, Mar 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bnuno

bnuno Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

this is a large chain store so i guess thats why i never point it out to them. if it was a mom and pop store i would probably point it out. not to say thats right but thats how i justify it! lol

ESeab likes this.
  2. zstef99

zstef99 Initiate (40) Dec 25, 2008 New York

From the sound of this thread, stores need to train their employees to monitor their POS customers. :wink:

antzman and craigo19 like this.
  3. Hanzo

Hanzo Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

That's not wrong at all, if they have UJ as an option go for it.

Where I would have a problem is if they are trying to move product that is closing in on its best by date and that is why they are in the mix six section and you go grab fresh stuff out of other six packs and toss it in your mix six pack. (others have said this may be the reason they are willing to take a loss but you can't be sure unless you check dates).

4. HokiesandBeer

HokiesandBeer Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Yup agree 100%

5. megamass

megamass Initiate (0) Oct 30, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

$6.99 so came out to $3.50 each not bad

6. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,014) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Supporter Beer Trader

Yeah- that was a distributor mistake, not the stores; they were just adding their usual markup. I kept on seeing them sit there like that for a month before they were all gone. Probably picked up 4-5 myself in total over the course of that time.

7. Finn18

Finn18 Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2012 Georgia

Liquor store down the street from me was trying to get rid of some of his stock, and had 4 packs of the Sam Adams imperial series for $4.99. I got the Stout, White, and Wee Heavy. Got what I paid for with the last two, but the stouts are still fresh and drinkable!

Also, not beer, but the same guy had a 5L box of cheap Chardonnay for $4.99... that's about 1/3 the price of Franzia. Different store (my old work) accidentally marked 1.75L bottles of Captain Morgan from $25.99 to $15.99.

8. jmw

jmw Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2009 North Carolina

Ah yes, another honest soul in need of personal justification. Stick it to the man. That'll never roll back around on ya.

9. BeastLU

BeastLU Disciple (326) Dec 20, 2012 Virginia

I would bet the reason they were in the pick six was because someone had already made one a five pack by jacking one for thier mix six. When somebody does this, theres really nothing else to do with the five beers except try to get some money back on them on the pick six.

Anyway I got a a Mikkeller red and white christmas for 4.99 in January.

10. bnuno

Beer Trader

I bet that is exactly what happens, i know i have bought a few sixers of UJ and when i got home realized someone replaced a few of them with Pale 31 which is much cheaper. Hate when that happens!

11. bnuno

Beer Trader

haha, good point

12. Seanvino

Seanvino Aspirant (248) Jan 5, 2009 California
    Subscriber

A small chain of grocery stores use to put 6 packs of Sierra Nevada on sale for $6.99 each for the Super Bowl. Now the Pale, Porter & Stout were regularly $8.99 while Bigfoot was $10.99 but was included in the sale. I asked the clerk stocking the cooler if Bigfoot was suppose to be on sale too. He replied "yes, crazy huh!" or something like that. They did two years in a row but are now out of business:slight_frown:

13. El_Zilcho

El_Zilcho Initiate (70) May 3, 2012 Virginia

$2.99 Bombers of Great Divide Yeti at Fresh Market. Fresh Market opened up in this shopping center where there has been a privately owned bottle shop for years, really the only one in the area. Fresh Market had signed a no compete clause and tried to get the bottle shop kicked out, so I had no problem purchasing these from those bastards. It was priced at $2.99 for over a year I think, though they were usually out of stock. I'm not sure what the final word was, but right now the bottle shop is still there.

14. HKUSPC40

HKUSPC40 Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2012 Washington

Reported. :slight_smile:

15. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (632) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

So you stole the Cantillon basically? Thats a real DICK move. You knew the price but neglected to tell them you put the expensive beer in a cheaper 4 pack holder. Where do you work so I can come rip you off.

Enjoy

audioserf likes this.
  16. t_shaw

t_shaw Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2013 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

FBS for 4.99 a four pack just popped up down the street from me. needless to say itll keep me occupied til KBS

17. kpacedo

kpacedo Initiate (99) Nov 24, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Are people seriously paying $13 for a 6 pack of union jack?

18. RedneckBeerz

RedneckBeerz Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2011 Massachusetts

Walked into my Total Whine yesterday (3-1-2013) and asked the guy behind the counter if they had any special brews (they always keep the limited stuff behind the counter) and he walked me over to 2 cases of Founder's Breakfast Stout (thinin to myself WTF this isn't a special release) and he says "$4.29 a 4 pack" . Me thinky to mineself "is this dude crazy??". He said "yeah we are closing it out". Me says "load em up pardner", and so it is/was/were. Cheers !!

19. craigo19

craigo19 Disciple (330) Oct 12, 2009 Michigan
    Supporter Beer Trader

After hearing all of these stories makes me think that my 12 pack of Ruthless Rye for $11.19 at Kroger is not much of a bargain. Oh well, I patronize bottle shops where the staff know the prices and products, so it's a good trade off.

20. njhopspop

njhopspop Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2010 New Jersey

At this very moment I can go to my local shop and get a 4 pack of Sixpoint 3beans for $4.99. One of the guys that I'm friendly with there tipped me off when he came across the price tag. He told his boss about it and he said, "No, that's not a mistake, that's what we're selling it for. Huh? Oh, okay!

21. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Zealot (596) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

When Oskar Blues hit Ohio there were a couple of places selling Ten Fidy for the price of Old Chub, $8.99. Honestly, as good as it is 4 cans for $13.99...I realize I've paid more for a 4 pack of bottles BUT it would be nice to have the Ten Fidy in a tall boy like the Dale's for $13.99. It was nice to get Ten Fidy in a growler when it was 1st hitting the shelves...that growler spoiled me for sure stuff was pretty damn epic.

22. imbrue001

imbrue001 Aspirant (213) Aug 6, 2010 Pennsylvania

Dominion Oak Barrel Stout
    price + tax = $8.79
    pay with a $10
    receive $8.79 in change

ummmm...

Raime likes this.
  23. FlakyBiscuit

FlakyBiscuit Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2012 Pennsylvania

When DFH worldwide stout first hit the stores here, I picked up a bottle at the supermarket to try. The price was $2.99. I did not argue because I never saw it before. Damn, I should have bought it all. What a deal!!!

24. TheFightfan1

TheFightfan1 Meyvn (1,242) Dec 3, 2008 Pennsylvania

A couple of years ago I bought a case of 90min and paid for a 60min. All and all a saving of around $20.

25. mcrago

mcrago Aspirant (281) Oct 6, 2012 Indiana

Me too (as I'm walking out the door with it)...

26. Northlax3

Northlax3 Initiate (85) Aug 19, 2012 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

At the store I work at, there were 6 packs of Flying Dog Double Dog for $8.99. I pointed it out to my manager AFTER buying a 6 for myself (I get it at 7.49 anyways).

the next day the 6 packs were $9.99. Still WAY below what they they should be selling at.

So if anyone wants some 11.5% 6 packs at $9.99, stop in!

27. Jadjunk

Jadjunk Meyvn (1,441) Dec 6, 2009 Georgia

A certain grocery franchise in my area doesn't think to ever change their price tags on SweetWater's winter seasonals, so I usually get two packs each of Festive Ale and Happy Ending for about $8.49. This is also the same store that got some vintage La Folie and sold it to me for $2.99 a bottle due to a sku error.

28. Holsie

Holsie Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2012 South Carolina

Always point it out. If they correct it--you did the right thing and it demonstrates that you value the business more than a couple of bucks. If they don't, you still did the right thing and get a deal. Your local beer guy WILL remember the next time you go in. Although I rarely frequent them, a big store will almost never correct it because it isn't worth their time.

twowheelssoar likes this.
  29. dmeadows

dmeadows Initiate (0) Aug 6, 2002 New York

I love the honesty and integrity in this thread. And people wonder why they they don't get the KBS when it comes in. Karma, baby. Karma.

gameface23 likes this.
  30. Spleeb

Spleeb Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2008 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Found some Older Viscosity for $6.49next to some bottles of Old Viscosity at $8.99.

dianimal likes this.
  31. bnuno

Beer Trader

Yes. Where I am it's only found in a few spots and is usually $11-13. Even at bevmo. I won't buy it a lot but will treat myself every now and then.

32. MadDogMD

MadDogMD Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2013 Arizona
    Subscriber

A couple years ago, Total Wine had St. Bernardus Christmas marked for $2.99 for a couple days. I think between me & my 3 friends, a few cases were had. It was changed soon thereafter.

33. Newbiebeer

Newbiebeer Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2012 Connecticut

DFH world wide stout for $1.50 a bottle. New cashier..hallelujah!

maxcoinage and Raime like this.
  34. allouez86

allouez86 Initiate (197) Jan 24, 2009 Wisconsin

Friend of mine got two bottles of 3F Golden blend for $10 each. I've seen it at many stores in three different states, never for less than $25.

35. brawleys

brawleys Initiate (0) May 7, 2004 North Carolina

As a very small retail store owner i cannot tell you how much we apreciate it when a customer points out a grossly mispriced item. We all make mistakes, high and low. Those dollars matter alot and are how me and others like me feed our families. Thanks to ya'll. Its what BA's typically do and its good karma.

36. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,020) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Bought a bottle of Stone Vertical Epic 06.06.06 the other day for $8.50

37. ParchedNeedBeer

ParchedNeedBeer Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2011 California

On 2 different occasions I found a store that had put the Russian River Damnation 23 at the same price as regular Damnation. I had a great time buying Damnation 23 for $4.50 a bottle and stocking up.

dianimal likes this.
  38. deadonhisfeet

deadonhisfeet Poo-Bah (1,505) Apr 23, 2011 Kentucky

Found several bottles of oak-aged La Trappe Quad for $4.99 each. I had seen it two other places for at least $15 a bottle. I brought it to the owner's attention, but he wasn't concerned (apparently, even at that price they weren't moving). Of course I bought one.

39. TheBrewo

TheBrewo Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2010 New York

I try to be honest, especially with places/breweries I like. I was at Three Floyds yesterday and they charged me for 4 beers when I was buying 5, but since they rock, I was happy to speak up.

brawleys likes this.
  40. BrettHead

BrettHead Devotee (479) Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

I've reported wrong prices before at a grocery store and they usually don't even bother to change them

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.