Stouts/barley wines in the fridge

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by -Rick, Feb 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Rick

-Rick Zealot (519) Dec 22, 2014 Massachusetts

Is there any real downside to keeping good stouts in a normal fridge, rather than on a shelf/fidge set at say 55 degrees? -Assuming that they will be drank within 6 months to a year. Not looking to age them multiple years. Thanks for the help. Cheers!

2. tkdchampxi

tkdchampxi Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2010 New Jersey

It WON'T hurt the beer.

If you plan on drinking them within 6 months, then there is no problem with keeping them in the fridge. Cooler temperatures will only retard the qualities of aging, but that can sometimes be a good thing, if you don't want the beer to change.

Many stronger beers are best served at cellar temperature, however, so the beer may benefit from being left out slightly before consumption if it is being stored in a cold fridge. Again, depends on the beer.

mig100, -Rick and Iamjeff6 like this.
  3. Iamjeff6

Iamjeff6 Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2013 Virginia

This.

I know I have a tendency to start drinking big beers too cold, I tend to let them sit out for a while or I "warm" the glass with my hands.

4. HighWine

HighWine Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2010 Illinois

Only downside is that the flavors of the beer will be preserved longer.

5. JoelClark

JoelClark Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2014 Idaho

Could not agree more on both notes! For drinking, I let refrigerated beers sit on the counter for about 20 min. before opening, then pour them into room-temperature glassware. That typically brings the temp. to proper cellar temps.

meckl9 and tkdchampxi like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.