Strangest requests you have heard in a store

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by NotHereForGold, Apr 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NotHereForGold

NotHereForGold Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2015 Wisconsin

Just got a call seeing if we carried "Hopgoblin" from Flatrock Brewery in Ohio. Seeing as I am in Wisconsin and the fact that they don't distribute to my knowledge I thought it was a little bizarre. Dude sounded mad on the phone when I said we didn't have it.

Have you guys ever heard some strange requests like that when in a store?

2. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (430) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

I don't work retail, but have been nearby often enough hearing people asking for every beer on the "best of" lists. Heady, Dark Lord, Pliny (both of them) Cigar City, Surly, and on and on. Being in Massachusetts, none of those are distro'd here. reactions when informed of the fact range from, "oh well" to utter rage, being called a liar and worse. Once the employees threatened to call the cops on the guy.

3. MarshallBirdhouse

MarshallBirdhouse Devotee (401) Feb 19, 2013 South Carolina
    Trader

"You guys keep your Van Winkles in the back?"

4. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (13,048) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Perhaps he is not really into craft and doesn't understand distribution limitations. I didn't when I got started, it was one of several revelations. I tried to find Orkney Skull Splitter in South Dakota after having it in Missouri, and finally realized that breweries have to be able to support the volume, and distributors need to have an idea there will be a demand.

5. TheBEERStory

TheBEERStory Initiate (0) Jul 26, 2008 Illinois

You get asked for everything, if someone has had something, somewhere, they just believe it is available everywhere. They aren't into beer enough to understand distribution. In Illinois, I get asked for New Glarus at least twice a day, and they don't get "why you just can't order it". And yes I've been called a liar when I have said something isn't available in IL, because they "know" it is.

6. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,416) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

I wonder why those folks that know so much don't already have a source.

7. bobv

bobv Poo-Bah (3,877) Feb 3, 2009 Vermont
    Society Trader

8. Jay_P22

Jay_P22 Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2016 Virginia

The other day I was in a store and I heard a guy guy ask where the bud light was.

9. offthelevel_bytheplumb

offthelevel_bytheplumb Devotee (402) Aug 19, 2013 Illinois

A guy once asked me for some good heferweiser recommendations.

10. bbtkd

Society Trader

Must have been from Wisconsin, wanting a smart cow...

11. Kb024

Kb024 Initiate (141) Jun 11, 2015 California
    Trader

I asked the girl at bevmo why do they have E-40 malt liquor in the craft beer section?? She didnt understand the question and she was going to go ask a manager or something... i jus walked away. But its right in between the Firestone Walker and Elysian. I see it every day and it looks really out of place.

12. anormal

anormal Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2007 Colorado

there's lots of these if you work the retail side of the beer biz.... my personal favorite is the woman who asked me if i had dales pale ale in bottles. i told her that they don't bottle anything and they actually pioneered canned craft beer. according to her she had seen the bottles before and she told me that if we didn't have it that was fine but it was unacceptable for me to lie to her about it so she left.

13. Bgonzo

Bgonzo Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2014 Kansas

I get that request at least once a week. I also love the customers who walk in with a copy of the BA top 50, hand me the list and ask " can you show me where these are on your shelves". Can help but chuckle!

14. woodchipper

woodchipper Meyvn (1,022) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut

You guys that work with the public should get a medal or something. I can't even imagine how I would handle some of these requests. Pretty funny sitting here reading them in a thread though.
    Related- I was in the Craft Beer Cellar across for Pro Pig in VT last week. I was checking out with a great haul late on a Saturday and some guy comes up and asks "do you have Heady?". The employee says they get their allotment on Wednesday and it all goes same day. So I asked "how many times a day does that happen?". "I can't even count that high".

15. HeyItsThatGuy

HeyItsThatGuy Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2016 Illinois

Nothin' to do with beer, but I was once in an Express clothing store when I overheard this strange and aggravating woman asking for the store's coat hangers. That's right, their COAT HANGERS. Me and five other customers just stood their watching as this woman vented her frustrations at the store manager for not letting her have any of their coat hangers...... again, COAT HANGERS! One of the weirdest shopping experiences I've ever had.

chicagobeerguy, Caj1, cello and 9 others like this.
  16. MFMB

MFMB Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2015 Idaho

I'm always asking if they got Heady... I'm in Idaho...if I ask enough maybe it will come to fruition :wink:

SammyJaxxxx, Brolo75, 5thOhio and 7 others like this.
  17. bbtkd

Society Trader

Not at a liquor store, but recently asked a waitress at a local restaurant if they had any stouts. She said the only stout they had was a porter. I didn't say a word...

18. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,908) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

It took me a few seconds, but I got it. :wink::grinning:

19. mudbug

mudbug Defender (617) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon

When I was traveling the US the midwest was like "What kind of beers do you have? Oh we have everything, Bud, Bud light, Miller.......)

20. urethrafranklin13

urethrafranklin13 Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2014 Michigan

My favorite was a lady asking for Bella Hopstack,middle of august, it was her husbands favorite. I told her bells Hopslam wasnt available and she countered with "you guys should carry it, it a very popular beer". a woman complained to corporate because i refused to carry gumball head for her, the fact that it wasnt available in Michigan wasnt a good enough excuse i suppose.

21. Craftbeernewb

Craftbeernewb Initiate (0) Feb 22, 2012 Missouri

Not beer or a liquor store, but when I was in Vegas, I asked a cocktail waitress what bourbons they had. She said the best they had was Crown Royal....

22. meefmoff

meefmoff Devotee (468) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

This one's maybe not strange, but definitely amusing given the location.

I was on a trip to VT and made a visit to a bottle shop that had come highly recommended here on BA. I knew I wasn't there on a day when I could score any of the "big boys" so I was just buying some of the other lesser known stuff. So I'm waiting in line to checkout, and 3 or 4 customers ahead of me I hear a woman ask about when something was coming in, and the clerk says "Not sure, but it could be as soon as this afternoon". I immediately think that maybe something special is getting delivered that day after all, and excitedly ask the clerk what he had been talking to her about when I get to the counter.

"Oh, she just wanted to know when we were getting more Not Your Father's Root Beer in. I can't keep that shit on the shelves".

Hmmm, not quite what I was hoping for..... :slight_smile:

23. PrestigeWorldwide

PrestigeWorldwide Defender (635) Sep 22, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

@Pardinho you need to tell your Bell's Oberon story here. Absolutely classic, but I wouldn't do it justice.

24. Boosully

Boosully Initiate (136) Apr 8, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

I know it is not beer but I worked in a furniture store in college. Almost weekly, I would get a call or a customer in the store who would ask if we sold "croutons".

25. JayWhitson

JayWhitson Crusader (794) Feb 25, 2015 Montana
    Trader

Worked at Applebee's and we had some steak on the promo. Customer asked me what 'succulent' was. I told him it's an adjective describing the steak. He said "...yeah I don't want any of that."

26. connecticutpoet

connecticutpoet Poo-Bah (2,183) Jun 10, 2004 Connecticut
    Society

I once saw a guy standing in front of the craft beer shelf ask an employee where the "good beer" was. The employee (someone I talk with from time to time) said "What are you looking for?" The guy said "Coors."

As he turned the guy around to the coolers he shot me a look of such despair... the dude had been staring at Stone Imperial Russian Stout, Oaked Arrogant Bastard, and a bunch of Berkshire Brewing bombers. On the shelf below were a bunch of Founders brews.

27. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,880) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

Once a week someone will ask if we carry Heady Topper...I'm in South Carolina.

28. thgreatrandini

thgreatrandini Initiate (0) Jun 26, 2014 Pennsylvania

About once a month someone walks in with a "top 10 IPAs " list from some trend chasing publication. It used I make me chuckle, but now...just...rub my temples...

29. Hyptochrons

Hyptochrons Meyvn (1,373) Jul 12, 2015 Massachusetts

one guy in front of me in line spent like 5 minutes talking to the people at my local beer store.... "I tried Julius the other day, whats the closest beer you have to Julius?? and after they spent a good minute or so making recommendations of some quality IPAs .... I tried Haze the other day, do you have anything like that?"

-_-

30. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,645) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

"Do you have any Happoshu?" (Oh, wait... that was me.)

31. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Defender (612) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Trader

I once witnessed a guy asking for Barrel Aged Abraxas in a local shop. He didn't believe the clerk that its only sold at the brewery and sells out immediately so I stepped in, he didn't believe me either.

Also seen people ask for Heady (in Missouri) and Bourbon County/variants long after release.

32. PSU_Mike

PSU_Mike Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2013 Pennsylvania

"Do you have any that haven't been refrigerated?" I think it was Southern Tier 2X

33. Number1Framer

Number1Framer Initiate (141) Mar 13, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

And now for a story from the opposite side of the retail counter: I can remember returning home to Wisconsin from a trip to Colorado and asking every shop around me if they could order me in Bootstrap Brewing's "Insane Rush IPA" since I had it out west and loved it. Afterwards I took to the web and learned a few things about how distro works. One place was nice enough to at least call me back to let me know they couldn't get it. The real tragedy was that I was staying in Boulder and never hit up Avery or Left Hand during my trip.

34. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2010 Arizona

I have a good friend in the retail end. I stopped by his store one day to pick up some beer and shoot the breeze. This guy comes in wanting to know where his Pliny and other RR Sours were. Being in Arizona, my friend told him they don't distro here. The guy goes all offended and accuses him of hiding them in the back for his "buddies". I tried to explain to the guy that he wasn't kidding and that he would have to drive over to California to see if he could find any. The guy said he had come all the way here from Wisconsin and he wasn't going to Cali. Then he told us what we could do and stormed out. Strangest conversation I have been a part of in awhile. My buddy said people come in all the time asking for beers from Trillium, Tree House, The Alchemist, etc. You would think people would do a little damn research.....

35. deford

deford Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2013 California

Lets go easy on the newbies....

36. Squire

Society Trader

And have patience with the oldies.

37. stompilator

stompilator Initiate (0) Dec 23, 2014 Texas

"I need some beers that are in green cans. Preferably no stouts."
    *refuses half of my recommendations for reasons beyond my comprehension*

38. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,993) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Yeah some of these remind me when I first started drinking good beer. I usually thought most of this and never said it out loud to a clerk, distro knowledge was craft beer 2.0. But patience, some of these could be wives trying to do their husband a solid. I could see a wife having someone print off a top list of beers and going in search of it. So if you're a clerk or shopper, just help them out, then you can come here and tell the story.

39. captaincoffee

captaincoffee Poo-Bah (1,778) Jul 10, 2011 Virginia
    Society

I'm not sure why anyone expects average beer drinkers to know the distribution of various breweries. 99% of people don't know this stuff...basically everyone who doesn't spend time on sites like this. Dude likes beer. Dude hears there is some great beer X out there. Dude goes to local shop and asks if they have X. This seems 100% normal to me and what everyone here would have done prior to becoming obsessive beer geeks.
    I won't give the a-hole customers a pass, but if the request has to do with beer, and they are nice about it, then there shouldn't be any complaints.

40. Squire

Society Trader

If color is the priority sell her some Fosters Ale, or Dos Equis, and you might have made a customer.

mahler, connecticutpoet and bcp5296d like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.