Strangest requests you have heard in a store

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by NotHereForGold, Apr 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David_Deas

David_Deas Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2016 North Carolina

Unfortunately, there is no similar option for something like a Julius or a Heady Topper most places on the map. I'm in North Carolina and we don't have anything remotely close to those types of IPA's on our shelves.

BrettHead likes this.
  2. conoraugustine

conoraugustine Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2015 North Carolina

I work at a beer stote in north carolina. People have asked for focal banger, heady topper, and julius. The most frequent silly question is I constantly get people asking about bourbon barrel aged beers but they expect to pay only a few bucks. Stuff like this doesn't bother me, just makes me smile.

3. conoraugustine

conoraugustine Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2015 North Carolina

This makes me so mad. I have to explain to customers 5x a day that it doesn't matter

nortmand and anormal like this.
  4. Abbbp

Abbbp Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2013 Texas

Do you have any BC Bramble Rye in the back?
    <a serious question at a Texas beer store (note, Texas didn't get bcbs until 2013) in 2014>

5. DannyS

DannyS Initiate (0) Sep 20, 2007 New York

I'll bet you a hundred bucks the tasting room crew at work have been asked more than once for beers from entirely different breweries completely unrelated to us. Knowing those guys and how they'd each react makes the prospect pretty amusing.

Also on a slightly related note, not the fault of the customer by any means, but it's always a bummer whenever I'm filling in a tasting room shift and someone comes in looking for a rare sour or long-kicked pilot batch, and I've gotta explain how our sour releases and pilot batches work, shooting down their hopes. Good chance to talk up our other beers though.

mikeinportc and connecticutpoet like this.
  6. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,348) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Sometimes there is. Right now the store where I work has Prairie Phantasmagoria DIPA and it's pretty hazy and dank. I agree that the local options are rarely hazy like the New England IPAs but sometimes we've got some Omnipollo or Grimm (usually draft only so only available in growler) available that can fit the bill. Not trying to contradict you, just saying it's not always a futile effort.
    The one I can't stand is when an older person comes in asking for me to make them a mixed 6-pack of local beers they can take back home to their kids or significant other or whatever. I always make my first recommendation something in a can because 8 times out of 10 they say "but nothing in a can." Ok, I guess your beer geek loved one will never know they were this close to trying Burial Skillet but you thought they'd have a problem with it being in a can.

Anyways, this thread has derailed from strangest requests to most annoying requests so let's get back on track:

This one time a guy came in saying "I had this beer in Mississippi, can't remember what it was but it was great." Of course I immediately say "Maybe it was a Lazy Magnolia beer? Do you remember anything descriptive about it?" He's drawing a blank so I ask "What color was it?" he says "It was dark, like almost black and went really well with a cigar I was having." I pull out my phone and search and, by process of elimination, figured out what it was and it was a stout with some adjunct, coffee I think (can't remember if it was Lazy Magnolia or something else) and he goes "Yeah, that was it!" I tell him "That brewery doesn't distribute here but maybe I can find you something comparable." He goes "Yeah, it tasted like flowers! Do you have anything like that?" I was perplexed. I go "Um, you mean maybe it was floral like an IPA?" He says "No, it tasted like dandelions or some other sweet flower." Now, I know taste is subjective, but I've never heard of a stout reminding anyone of flowers. Either the cigar was severely fucking with his palate, he was confusing it with a different beer or the brewer had totally botched the beer but sold it anyway. Since this is Mississippi we're talking about, I'm gonna go with the latter.

7. David_Deas

Before the Heady it wasn't cool for beer to be in a can. When the Heady was pronounced the best beer in the world and people saw that picture of a canned beer, folks were confused for a long time.

8. gobuccos

gobuccos Initiate (0) Apr 28, 2014 Ohio

Beer store I frequent had a customer ask if they had any older Expedition Stout in the back. Beer manager pulled out a 6 pack of 2014. Customer asked if it was on clearance? Manager told him no, it is not. Needless to say, I grabbed it because the hipster did not want to pay full price. I know their store room is dark and cool. Needless to say, it aged well.

9. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,416) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Internet

10. connecticutpoet

connecticutpoet Poo-Bah (2,183) Jun 10, 2004 Connecticut
    Society

Were you the guy I called last night asking about Tree House before I knew they were brewery only? :stuck_out_tongue::astonished: Can't believe I never heard of them before and they're so close to me.

NotHereForGold likes this.
  11. BrettHead

BrettHead Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

And when hearing this the vast majority of people asking for said beers will walkout without buying anything.
    That's been my experience at least. Doesn't matter what IPA's you can recommend them.

Immortale25 and NotHereForGold like this.
  12. BrettHead

@Immortale25 Omnipollo is currently being brewed at Crazy Mountain and all that awesome haziness of their beers is gone :slight_frown:

13. montman

montman Devotee (415) Mar 10, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

Not really crazy...but just makes you wonder...
    Around Christmas time, I overhead a older woman while on the phone with someone, ask a total wine employee if they had some KBS. Which caught my ear as it doesn't sit here past the single day around April it delivers.
    The total wine employee called someone else in the store to ask if they had it in stock. Someone more familiar with beer said no, then the woman - I assume relaying a message from the person on the phone - asked "yeah but do you have it hidden in the back?"
    Sadly the answer was still no.

14. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,883) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

I love this thread, two more and I'm out

It might be a South Carolina thing, because I've never heard it anywhere else, but people refer to ciders (Woodchuck, Mangers etc) as cider-beers...annoys the shit out of me

It's always a woman looking for Kalik, starts off the conversation with..."we were just on a cruise"...Gotta rub it in, huh?

15. deleted_user_1007501

deleted_user_1007501 Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2015

It seems like a lot of folks around my area either have no interest in rare beer, and if they do, they more than likely know if it is distributed here or not.

I get tons of people asking if we have any 3 Floyds, but half the time we actually do have some. And if we don't, I will know a couple places around that definitely do.

16. AWSBeerDude

AWSBeerDude Initiate (0) May 24, 2005 Massachusetts

Not really beer related, but earlier today someone asked me if we recycle batteries.

Beer_Economicus and aufie like this.
  17. Squire

Society Trader

Well, batteries, beer, both start with a b.

18. stickboy1125

stickboy1125 Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2012 Virginia
    Deactivated

Is there a problem with that?

BrettHead likes this.
  19. BrettHead

It just shows they aren't interested in actually buying an IPA to drink and enjoy they just want some name they read in a list. They are probably going to go waste their time by asking another store that also won't have those beers. "Can't you special order it?"

Immortale25 likes this.
  20. JayWhitson

JayWhitson Crusader (794) Feb 25, 2015 Montana
    Trader

gonna be in Greenville in a couple weeks, totally coming in with 4 or 5 questions from this thread looking for you :wink:

21. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,883) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

Bring it, Jay:grinning:

JayWhitson likes this.
  22. SlothB77

SlothB77 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2012 Virginia

what about like a Hop Drop N Roll? I've never had it and i assume not nearly on the level of julius or heady, but you go to war with the army you got. you get Bitter Valentine distro down there? it actually has a decent amount of haze.

23. jimboothdesigns

jimboothdesigns Initiate (0) Nov 1, 2014 Pennsylvania

That is what I should call my Heady homebrew clone!

24. Squire

Society Trader

Did Granny get her Flopper?

OldManMetal likes this.
  25. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,348) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Yeah, I heard. Such a shame. I guess as a replacement suggestion one could go for Evil Twin's new Modern IPA. Not as hazy as Fatamorgana used to be and not as hazy as some NE IPAs but a step in the right direction.

26. DaltonCastle

DaltonCastle Initiate (0) Apr 24, 2016 California

Not really a request but I witnessed an older gentleman being kicked out of a Total Wine for trying to bring in his scooter in the store. "What do you mean? I have the right to bring this in here."

NotHereForGold and utopiajane like this.
  27. nortmand

nortmand Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2003 Illinois

Thank you. Jesus Christ, my employer basically pays me to say this all day on busy Saturdays. "But my paw always says you gots to keep the beer cold iffin its cold." Well, your paw is an idiot.

mikeinportc and oldn00b like this.
  28. KELPAK

KELPAK Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2007 Massachusetts

Actually yes, I had a couple of cans in the back that I just gave her because I can't sell them. Like the great Lloyd Christmas once said "Hey, I guess they're right. Senior citizens, although slow and dangerous behind the wheel, can still serve a purpose". She scored her grandson a heady topper because I just didn't have the heart to say no.

29. AnchorDrops

AnchorDrops Initiate (0) May 11, 2013 Michigan

I love to see the list people, going down the Top 10 list for this or that, when I visit my local bottle shop. Asking for Pliny, Heady, Dark Lord, Hunahpu, etc. These people are capable enough to read and print off a list from the internet but not able to research any further than that to realize production and distribution limitations? I'm sure KBS is an extremely common request all year for shops in MI.

30. JayWhitson

JayWhitson Crusader (794) Feb 25, 2015 Montana
    Trader

+1000 Beer karma for you sir

31. beerchic

beerchic Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2015 Ohio

Not beer, but I had a guy asking for "wet wine". I had an idea of what he actually wanted, but asked for him to clarify. "My girlfriend doesn't like 'dry' wine, so I want to get her some 'wet' wine."

32. Squire

Society Trader

Yes sir, we keep the wet stuff on isle 3 right over there.

33. stickboy1125

stickboy1125 Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2012 Virginia
    Deactivated

You're making assumptions. I've asked for a specific items, not just beer, many times and left if the store didn't have it. Nothing is wrong with wanting to try a beer that is rated high on a list, most people aren't aware of what is and what isn't distributed in their area.

ShetlandJon and Corrado42 like this.
  34. Squire

Society Trader

At least they were in your store. Be nice and they might come back.

rronin, ShetlandJon, Junior and 4 others like this.
  35. BrettHead

Never said otherwise

I've experienced many many times a potential customer not listening to any word after "No" when asked for Pliny, Three Floyd, Heady, etc...Not really a chance to recommend an alternative or explain distribution when they aren't listening. Cheers.

bluejacket74 and Immortale25 like this.
  36. BrettHead

Believe it or not selling beer to customers (and we have plenty of those) is what keeps the doors open not telling people we don't have Top 50 BA beers. That being said I am never a dick about it; the same cannot be said about all the potential customers.

37. riegler

riegler Initiate (79) Apr 30, 2015 Iowa

When I worked at a store in town here (Dubuque, IA right on the border of Wisconsin and Illinois) we would get asked at least once a day if we had "that cow beer" (NG Spotted Cow)

I would always ask "Spotted Cow? Unfortunately that brewery doesn't distribute outside Wisconsin"

I always got one of three responses.
    1. "Damn that sucks, oh well!"
    2. "Umm I'm pretty sure I've seen it at other stores"
    3. "But I can get it across the bridge so I don't see why you can't get it?"

Customers with response #1 were cool, #2 were funny, as if I would lie to you because I want to hoard all of the spotted cow to myself Mwuahhahahah!, #3 were the folks that just didn't understand distro. I would usually be very nice and try to explain as best I could on how distro worked and that I agreed it sucks that it is so close, yet so far away (but honestly like a ten minute drive if they really wanted it)

Like others have said before, most people just aren't informed about beer as they aren't on sites like this everyday, so why should they be? That's what I was there for, so I could help with any questions they had. I was polite to 99% of people who came in and had questions. It is the people who get angry at you for something you have no control over, or call you a liar that suck.

38. BHBrewery

BHBrewery Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2010 Massachusetts

I've answered the phone several times here at the brewery and talked to people looking to order a keg for pick up. I ask them which beer they'd like, and they've replied "Bud Light" or "Heineken" please.

39. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (4,457) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

Ok Ok, its not a request, but its a funny story.

My Co-Worker gets his hair cut next to a craft beer store, and he usually goes in when he gets his hair cut. Well last week, he's headed there after work on the same day 3 Floyds usually drops their stuff off. So he texts his barber around lunch and asks if she'd run over and see if they got any Zombie Dust - if they did, he says pick it up and I'll pay you back tonight.

Fast forward to the evening, he shows up to get his hair cut and she says they didn't have any Zombie Dust, but this nice guy who is a sales representative for Victory Brewing said they brew a beer thats very similar in taste to Zombie Dust so I got you that. ... It was a six pack of Golden Monkey (a Belgian style Tripel thats brewed by Victory). Poor lady had no idea. And we have no idea if the Victory rep was just pulling her leg or has that bad of taste.

Needless to say Golden Monkey tastes nothing like Zombie Dust.

40. David_Deas

Hop Drop N Roll is the opposite of a New England IPA in almost every sense.

Its a very, very bitter, unbalanced brew. Its almost as if they threw the entire hop load in before the boil. If you're looking for that, then its great. If you're looking for balance and artwork then its not going to be for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.