Strangest requests you have heard in a store

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by NotHereForGold, Apr 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. samuraichamploo

samuraichamploo Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2013 New York

Same here: "what do you mean I can't get Three Floyds? This is America, I can get whatever I want!" My friend calmly explained distribution, and I calmly went online and started an account on Beer Advocate and traded for a shit load of FFF. In a way I was right.

NotHereForGold likes this.
  2. albertreact

albertreact Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2014 Florida

Ive been on the look out for Red Dog it has a red bulldog on it ( maybe discontinued?)

3. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,148) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

MillerCoors still lists it on their website's OUR BEERS page (using their 'dba ' of Plank Road Brewing Co.), but previous threads on BA suggest that is very regional in distribution. I guess you could use their "CONTACT US" page or call MC's toll free number tomorrow and find out more --- 1-800-645-5376
    [​IMG]

4. IceAce

IceAce Savant (916) Jan 8, 2004 California
    Brewery

Wow...almost forgot about the Red Dog / Red Wolf war of 1995.

jmdrpi, TriggerFingers and VABA like this.
  5. patrick802

patrick802 Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2010 Vermont

i don't understand

6. smcolw

smcolw Poo-Bah (8,966) Jan 16, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

I heard a customer ask if a beer came at room temperature as opposed to refrigerated. Another asked what was the best beer to serve on ice.

NotHereForGold likes this.
  7. BluesHawk

BluesHawk Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2016 Wisconsin

I just had someone call to see if we had Surly Darkness. I told her she's about 6 months too late/6 months too early

8. albertreact

albertreact Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2014 Florida

wow
    wow i will give them a call thanks for that :grinning:

9. Hop-Droppen-Roll

Hop-Droppen-Roll Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2013 Minnesota

It was a poorly executed joke meant to mock the customers that thought you could identify a beer with its style as your only clue.

10. HopVol

HopVol Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2015 Tennessee

Nothing too strange I guess but I had a guy ask me recently where is a good place to buy imports because he doesnt like domestic beer. Havent heard that one in a while.

11. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,714) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

and throws like a handgrenade...

NotHereForGold and Immortale25 like this.
  12. patrick802

patrick802 Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2010 Vermont

lol...I know. some just don't get that you might have more than 1 milk stout.

Hop-Droppen-Roll likes this.
  13. 06Rubicon

06Rubicon Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2013 Texas

here are two:

I was in Salt Lake City and asked the lady behind the hotel counter; "are there any breweries around here?", she replied "any what -eries?"

Two weeks ago I was in St Louis and asked the server if they have any local breweries. completely straight faced, I was told "Yes, we have Budweiser"....I think I shed a tear.

14. Hop-Droppen-Roll

I am surprised by neither of these.

Brutaltruth likes this.
  15. Brutaltruth

Brutaltruth Poo-Bah (3,574) Mar 22, 2014 Ohio
    Society

Alaskan Brewing Company requests in Kentucky.

16. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,993) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Went back to my hometown over the weekend, took a long walk around the town and went into the local pub for a beer before heading back home. They had all the Louisiana breweries that they carry products for listed with the beers listed that they carried for each one. Under NOLA they had Check Back Later. I was so tempted to try to order that to see if they would post a comment here

Hop-Droppen-Roll likes this.
  17. Hop-Droppen-Roll

I've never had a Czech Bock.

18. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,148) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Well, Alaska's distribution (below) has been creeping eastward, though it seems to be avoiding the central section of the country east of the Rockies, so it could be awhile before KY sees it. :wink:
    [​IMG]

Victory_Sabre1973 likes this.
  19. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2012 California

Point them to Martinelli's Sparkling Cider.

jmasher85 likes this.
  20. Milledge_924

Milledge_924 Initiate (0) Sep 12, 2014 Georgia

Had a guy show up a little before we closed the brewery taproom and ask what kind of imports we had. I wasn't sure if he was joking or not and responded that in fact our brewmaster was brought in from abroad so all oft the beers could technically be imports. He left after I said that and I guess my humor was ignored.

21. Damen

Damen Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2015 California

That's what kills me. It's not that people really want Pliny. Duh! It's so fetishized here in Nor Cal, of course they want it. It's that once you tell them it is not distributed in this county they have zero interest in the great selection you do have.

99% of people upon learning there's no Russian River distro here are disappointed or dumbfounded (since they have no grasp of the three tier system and how spread thin RR is with their demand). But one guy tried to argue me on it. I told him places might have locations elsewhere and order bottles through that location and then drive it over or even go to the brew pub and buy a case and bring it back but there is no distributor I can call and order Russian River beers from. He still wasn't having it.

A local grocery store finally put up a chalk board sign basically explaining there is no Pliny in the entire county but here are a few great IPA's/IIPA's we recommend in its place. As a vendor I understand how frustrating that is to say, "We don't have this, but try this", no matter how much confidence you have in what you are offering in its place. So I really hope that sign worked for them.

BrettHead and alucard6679 like this.
  22. jmasher85

jmasher85 Zealot (571) Mar 27, 2015 Maryland

More an entertaining encounter than a strange question: an elderly, soft-spoken woman came into my TJ's store asking for "the kind of beer folks used to drink back in the day." We don't have too many mass-market branded beers, but I showed her the Heineken, Stella, and the store-brand Simpler Times Lager/Pilsner, saying that these are pretty much the same kind of beer she was talking about.
    She replied, "Oh, I don't know about all those. I like to keep things simple and old school. All them beers today have crazy names and when you drink them, they make you crazy too, haha!" She left with a couple Coronas.

Also, a shout-out to the customers who insist they are regulars and insist they/their friend bought a certain beer or wine at this store - yes, they're sure it was this very store - and get downright offended when I explain that I've been working in this section of the store pretty much since we opened and have absolutely never carried that item. They leave either understanding or pissed off (or both), but occasionally they tell me to go into the back and check. I go into the stockroom, laugh about the customer with my coworkers who happen to be back there, and then go back out and break the news again.

#262 jmasher85, May 21, 2016
    Last edited: May 21, 2016
    BrettHead and FBarber like this.
  23. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat Poo-Bah (2,937) Jun 29, 2014 Michigan
    Society Trader

Root beer

Cthulhusquid likes this.
  24. degbert

degbert Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2009 Texas

Kalik is revolting.

25. BergBeer

BergBeer Crusader (783) Aug 21, 2013 Virginia

Was at the local craft beer bar (read only...also stupid expensive)

Guy ordered Pinot Gris in a pint glass with ice and a straw.

I hate Rhode Island...

JxExM and TonyLema1 like this.
  26. degbert

degbert Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2009 Texas

Why yes, sir, we do. (Hands the customer a can of sparkling water.)

BrettHead likes this.
  27. deleted_user_1007501

deleted_user_1007501 Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2015

Couple days ago had someone come in and ask if we got any Russian River. In Ohio. I simply responded "I really wish we could..."

CrimeDog and FBarber like this.
  28. elmattador3976

elmattador3976 Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2012 Massachusetts

Guy comes into my store asking " what's an IPA in here that's closest to Coors Light?". He left with a 6 pack of Coors Light.

29. ian_graf

ian_graf Aspirant (237) Aug 16, 2014 Minnesota

I overheard something when I was at the liquor store yesterday and just had to resurrect this thread.

The wine guy, who knows nothing about beer, was frantically trying to help a lady find a beer. I heard him say "I don't know if we carry brew dog." He looked like he could use some help so I told the lady you can't get brew dog in Minnesota. She didn't seem to understand because she pulled out her phone and showed the guy a picture of the beer. "See it comes inside a taxidermied squirrel." I told her that they only made like 12 bottles of that beer. She looks at her phone again and says "wait, it costs $750?!" I'm still laughing thinking about it.:joy:

Many non beer geeks don't know that some beers aren't available in every state. But you gotta be pretty dumb to think that a beer packaged inside a real taxidermied animal could be produced at the scale required to find it on the shelf in any random liquor store!

mickyge, rronin, chrismattlin and 7 others like this.
  30. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,416) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

What would be dumb is her going to another store.

mickyge and Wiffler27 like this.
  31. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (13,054) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Well, Minnesota does have a lot of squirrels :wink:

32. rronin

rronin Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2005 Washington

My wife passed away in June. Recently, going through her papers, I found a list she'd made : The Alchemist, PtY, Trillium, you get the idea, all the most sought after beers. It looks like she'd gotten the names off the internet and was going to try and find them for me. Don't know if she ever tried to find them, but she could have been one of the nutty customers you read about here. I can guarantee to you that she would not have behaved obnoxiously like some of the customers depicted here. She hated beer, but she LOVED me! What a gal!

JimmyTheDook, CNoj012, jcos and 47 others like this.
  33. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (4,457) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

Man, I am so sorry to hear that she passed. Not going to lie, this post made me tear up and thats never happened on BA. Hang in there - best wishes going out your way.

jakecattleco, rronin, BruChef and 7 others like this.
  34. honkey

honkey Disciple (319) Aug 28, 2010 Arizona
    Brewery Trader

To be fair, I've bought New Glarus in Illinois... The bar just didn't carry it legally. I'd bet that leads to a lot of confusion for people when they're told "New Glarus isn't distributed in Illinois"

35. billydrinksbeer

billydrinksbeer Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2017 Colorado

I work at a liquor store and a few weeks ago an older man asked me to recommend to him a 6 pack of a double ipa, that was over 10% abv, over 100 IBUs, and under $10

36. honkey

honkey Disciple (319) Aug 28, 2010 Arizona
    Brewery Trader

Your wife sounds like she was a real badass. Sorry to hear that she passed.

37. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

My condolences, sir. This is the sweetest thing I've seen - and think I'll see - here. She sounds like she was a wonderful woman. If we could all be so lucky!

38. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Shoulda sent him to a Trader Joe's for some Boatswain DIPA. It's not quite 10%, but it tastes like diesel and it's only $5 a six pack.

FFFjunkie, PorterPro125 and BrettHead like this.
  39. breadwinner

breadwinner Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2014 California

She loved the crap out of you and sounds like an incredible lady. My condolences, friend, as well as kudos for marrying so well.

40. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,645) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

You could get pretty close to that with Myrcenary, couldn't you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.