Strangest requests you have heard in a store

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by NotHereForGold, Apr 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,644) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Best. Post. Ever. :slight_smile:

2. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,661) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

"I want fresh imported beer."

3. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (5,238) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society

Sorry for your loss. She sounds like she was a great partner.

4. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (5,238) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society

An old guy can dream, can't he?

LuskusDelph and chrismattlin like this.
  5. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,416) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

I've actually said that.

LuskusDelph, mickyge, jmdrpi and 5 others like this.
  6. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,092) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Dean Wormer meets Judge Smails!

7. ManforallSaisons

ManforallSaisons Devotee (423) Mar 20, 2008 Belgium

Separate thread on stout v. porter!

bbtkd likes this.
  8. AtillaTheHank

AtillaTheHank Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2017 Connecticut

I'm the beer director at my liquor store in CT. I had a customer come in looking for Sip of Sunshine, after hearing that we didn"t have any at the time he became notably upset and asked why we didn"t have it. I explained that supply and demand is a big part of their business model so they don't make very much, he wasn't very pleased. He replied "That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, as a capitalist I would just make more." I've never had someone proclaim themselves as a capitalist before, let alone that giving them the ultimate authority on what constitutes good business strategies. Stunned and concerned I just shrugged and walked away.

9. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,176) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Just another example of someone force feeding you their political beliefs regardless of what side you're on. I mean, seriously, doesn't going to a retail store and purchasing a distributed product make you a supporter of capitalism by default?

My anecdote isn't really unique or crazy. I just always get a kick out of people who are shocked at a beer selection that isn't just the typical BMC stuff. The store I go to on the way home has a pretty modest selection. 2 refrigerated cases or so dedicated to craft. It's pretty good but nothing mind blowing (I say this as an obvious fellow beer geek). It would've been impressive to me say 7 or 8 years ago but now it's just "pretty decent". Anyway, almost every time I'm choosing a beer someone comes up to me and says "Wow, so many to choose from, right? It's amazing!". I, of course, agree as to not be a dick but I always get a feeling of "god damn I am spoiled. this guy is floored by the selection and I think this place is 'just okay'. the future is crazy. maybe it is time to rethink my life."

10. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (1,849) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Society

I worked liqour retail. Ive not heard anything ridiculous. Ive only heard questions and responses by people who either dont know what theyre talking about or people who want to knowvabout "all these crazy beers"

bret717, rronin and bbtkd like this.
  11. mt817

mt817 Initiate (39) Mar 31, 2015 Michigan

Sorry for your loss. This is the most heart breaking and, at the same time, wonderful post I've read in a while. Sure sounds like she was pretty awesome.

rronin likes this.
  12. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa

Not a double IPA, but you can get hibernation for around $10 a six pack and it's a very nice old ale and around 9%. That's usually where I'd push people trying to get high abv beer at a low price.

13. rronin

rronin Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2005 Washington

I want to thank all the good and kind people who liked and quoted my post about my late wife's list of sought after beers. Jackie was a list maker and it gladdens my heart to read her lists, in her handwriting, it feels like shel's still with me. Thank you again.

14. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Initiate (0) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania

You should be a dick next time, just to see what happens. Maybe something like this:

Fellow Customer: "Wow! Look at all those different beers! They have everything here, don't they?"

You: "Well . . . obviously I'd love to see Trillium or Hill Farmstead or maybe even Russian River or Three Floyds, but that's never going to happen."

Fellow Customer: silence

You: "I mean, they have an OK selection here, but certainly not everything."

Fellow Customer: turns and walks away.

You: laughs under your breath

tzieser and chrismattlin like this.
  15. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Initiate (0) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania

Fuckin' zombie populace.

16. mickyge

mickyge Meyvn (1,387) Nov 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, this post is a tear jerker for sure. Your wife sounds like she was a sweetheart. Good luck, when things get tough remember the funny things about her. Cheers to a special woman.

VABA and rronin like this.
  17. mickyge

mickyge Meyvn (1,387) Nov 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society

I was in line at Tree House recently and the conversation a few people up from me went something like this...
    Q." this is my first time here what beer should I get"
    A "You don't get what you want you get what they have"
    Q" What if I don't like it"
    A " I'll buy it from you"
    Q"How do they stay in business?"

Number1Framer, chrismattlin and VABA like this.
  18. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (1,709) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

One of the strangest thing I've seen was in our local food co-op beer section. It's far from terrible, has all the regional staples and some odds and ends that can be exciting but rest assured it is well lit and pretty large. Anyway I walk down to the aisle and this lady is just sort of slowly moving down the aisle in fairly obvious awe taking pictures with her phone every few steps. After a minute she noticed me and she said 'There's so many and it's all so colorful!' When I inquired further she explained that she was from the UK (I think Scotland) and that no stores had this many beers for sale and that they didn't have all these brightly colored labels. She was genuinely amazed by our basic selection of beer. It left me feeling pretty lucky

19. kwkdmk

kwkdmk Initiate (0) Mar 8, 2013 Louisiana

So sorry for the loss of your wife, she sounds like a wonderful woman !!

rronin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.