Germany Straubing's Gäubodenfest

Discussion in 'Europe' started by goindownsouth, Jan 14, 2013.

1. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Jun 21, 2002 Pennsylvania

Greetings,

It has been a LONG time since posting on this board, but it is good to see things still moving along.

I was wondering if I could get some background info on the Gäubodenfest in Straubing. It is an area I have visited before - September 2006 to be precise - and I truly enjoy it. In fact, we stayed in the guest house in Reibersdorf, just down the road.

Any insight would be appreciated. And yes, I am aware that this post will likely and hopefully be answered by BA Stahlsturm.

Zum wohl!

2. Stahlsturm

Stahlsturm Mar 21, 2005 Germany

Whatever gave you the impression that I might possibly be able to assist in this matter ? o_O :D

Here you go: http://www.volksfest-straubing.de/startseite.html
    If you need any specific info that you can't translate from the page ask and I shall translate :)

3. goindownsouth

Thank you, as always!

4. bullseyebill

bullseyebill Jul 11, 2006 Illinois

Went a couple of years ago.It's a much lower key event than O'fest.
    Think county fair.We went on a drizzly weekday but it was still fairly lively.I would imagine the activities pick up
    quite a bit in the evenings and weekends.Lots of good food and drink.

5. Stahlsturm

You mean it's like the Oktoberfest was in the 1960s when people weren't kicked by drunk English tourists, puked on by drunk GIs and robbed by Gypsies from all over the Balkans every 15 minutes ? I'd say that's a very good thing, innit ? :)

6. Stahlsturm

You're welcome :)

7. boddhitree

boddhitree Apr 13, 2008 Germany

You forgot the wonders of "Italian" day, where it's half of ALL Italy comes up to get drunk.

8. Stahlsturm

I've never witnessed that one but I'm sure it's a blast too :D

9. Bierman9

Bierman9 Dec 20, 2001 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Yikes.... you must have gone on a bad day. Other than a few annoying Italians, none of that other stuff has ever happened to me (1986-2012, btw...) ;)

Prosit!!

10. bullseyebill

bullseyebill Jul 11, 2006 Illinois

Gotta agree with you Bierman,went 4 or 5 times in the 90's and never got a puke polish on the shoes.
    It did seem like it was getting realllly crowded the last time we went in 99.

11. Stahlsturm

Possibly. I only went once in the past 20 years and after that result, in conjunction to my general chronic dislike for the city of München and the general conditions at the fest (crowded, expensive etc.) I quickly was convinced that my time and money were much better spent elsewhere. I'm spoild I guess... :p

12. goindownsouth

So the Fruhlingsfest (did I say that right?) is different from the Gaubodenfest, yes?

13. cu29

cu29 Sep 26, 2005 Wisconsin

The Frühlingsfest is different than the Gäubodenvolksfest. The 2012 Frühlingsfest took place in April, while the Gäubodenvolksfest takes place in August. This year the Gäubodenvolksfest runs from Aug 9-19, 2013.

Strangely, I was unable to find info on the 2013 Frühlingsfest. Their website still has the 2012 info on it. But the Gäubodenvolksfest site is up to date for 2013. Weird. I wonder if the springfest is even taking place this year? Maybe it is simply a smaller fest and thus doesn't get the web updates like it's big brother?

I went to the Gäubodenvolksfest a few years ago. I rather enjoyed it and would recommend it if you like the festival and beer tent atmosphere. I sure do! When I was there is was difficult to find seats in the larger tents. Ended up in a smaller structure one night but had a blast! Found seats in a big tent on another night.

Here are the websites:

http-::www.volksfest-straubing.de:startseite.html

http-::www.volksfest-straubing.de:fruehlingsfest_2012.html

goindownsouth likes this.
  14. Stahlsturm

The Straubinger Frühlingsfest is from the Saturday right before Easter (30.03.2013) to the 14.th of April.

cu29 and goindownsouth like this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!