Strong Ale Fest Anyone?

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by Steve_0, Jan 18, 2013.

1. SiflandOlly

SiflandOlly Nov 14, 2010 Colorado

I'll be there tomorrow wearing a mustache! List looks great, very Colorado heavy, though it's too bad there doesn't seem to be any Surly/Bruery/Lost Abbey beers this year.

2. thehosh

thehosh Apr 11, 2007 Colorado

yeah no Surly is a major disappointment. Great fest, however this list does look like a ton of stuff that I drink frequently around town... It's gonna be good though.

3. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Nov 29, 2006 Colorado

I remember rat man at my first Strong ale fest at Harpos years ago. Very generous pours :)

4. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard May 19, 2005 Colorado

No, I'm the guy with the beard!

FishPondManager likes this.
  5. joshclauss

joshclauss Oct 31, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I'll be the guy that had to sell his tickets because he's out of town. FML

6. coreymcafee

coreymcafee May 30, 2006 Colorado
    Beer Trader

SO glad to see it ahead of time. Can't wait until Saturday! I'll be the guy with the beer in my hand.

7. Steve_0

Steve_0 Mar 14, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Hmmm. . . . Thought that was me.

8. ssteigerwald

ssteigerwald Mar 4, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I'll be the guy with the woody.

[​IMG]

9. bushmat2

bushmat2 Feb 18, 2011 Colorado

Going to be a blast. But a bit disappointed with the list as compared to other years.

10. drumrboy22

drumrboy22 Jul 22, 2005 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I've got the beard. The wife however, does not. See you on Friday.

11. Prospero

Prospero Jul 27, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Someone have a taste of the Upslope Barleywine for me!!!! I had it on at the tap room last summer and thought it was amazing, right up there with Bligh's, possibly sweeter but had more alcohol heat present, still incredible.

joshclauss likes this.
  12. quine

quine Feb 15, 2011 Colorado

I'll be the Asian there tomorrow!

13. joshclauss

joshclauss Oct 31, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Cambridge Bluderbuss is the tits, y'all. Also, GET MOUNTAIN SUN BOURBON BOB. You'll be very, very happy.

+1's: Big Bad Baptist on draft, COOP Sour Barleywine, Copper Kettle BA Breakfast Stout, Port Bacon & Eggs, BA NightRider, AND Poorman's IPA, Whiskey Barrel Chilly Water?!? WTF! that sounds awesome, Upslope Barleywine, and Wynkoop The Chancellor.

Yup, this makes me want to cancel my trip in a big way.

14. Ratman197

Ratman197 Aug 11, 2007 Colorado

Me too!

Tolann likes this.
  15. narayan

narayan Jun 28, 2007 Georgia

I'll be the guy not at the party, if you see me say hi.

16. Ratman197

And mine's BIGGER than both of yours put togather!

17. pokesbeerdude

pokesbeerdude Oct 2, 2007 Colorado

I'll probably be wearing at least one item of clothing with my avatar on it. Whiskey Barrel Ten Fidy and Whiskey Barrel Chocolate Yeti, PtY, Port Eggs and Bacon, as well as the Avery and Mountain Sun offerings? If you don't have fun, it's your own damn fault.

18. skycracksopen

skycracksopen Jul 12, 2012 Colorado

I'm having a hard time limiting myself to 16 choices, so I'm going to be drinking out of all your glasses, too.

19. gklover1

gklover1 Oct 18, 2009 Colorado
    Beer Trader

After perusing the list, definitely a perfect year to be on a hiatus. Very good brews, but the lineup looks a bit short of previous years. (I couldn't be saying this because I'm not going. No way.:rolleyes:)

20. denver10

denver10 Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

Looks like a nice list to me.

21. Tolann

Tolann Jul 9, 2007 Colorado

See ya tonight!! Umm...I'll be the ginger drinking beer.

I talked to Omar at Vail and he said Surly was going to be in Boulder.... Maybe he was thinking Sour Fest. Pentagram (a spin off of Surly Five) is now a seasonal release that just hit the shelves in the last few weeks.

22. drumrboy22

Beer Trader

Yeah, but do you have a beard? Ginger beards are the best.

I think Omar should hook you up with some Pentagram for your next beer tasting. Just sayin'...

23. Tolann

Tolann Jul 9, 2007 Colorado

Never been a fan of facial hair... I'll leave that up to you guys.

Just missed Pentagram by mere hours when I was last in MN. I flew out the day the bottles hit the shelves. The swag looks hella cool if you haven't seen it already. Also, they are stamping the tops of the wax dipped bottles. I think they'll have a different stamp every year.

24. bitromp

bitromp May 23, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Have one extra ticket for the Saturday session. If anyone still needs one send me a BM. Selling it for face value.

25. Hessma

Hessma Oct 19, 2012 Colorado

Have an xtra ticket for tonight. $40
    Can meet you at the fest or in North Denver.

26. ssteigerwald

ssteigerwald Mar 4, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

How was it last night? Looking forward to today.

27. FishPondManager

FishPondManager Feb 28, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Pretty good overall. I think we left some beer for you guys. For some reason BA Ten Fidy was not being poured. Hopefully you guys can enjoy that tonight.

My top three were whiskey aged chocolate yeti, 2011 BA Samaels, and chancellor. I was blown away by chancellor. Wynkoop killed it on that one. It was also my first time having Slap Your Mammy. I liked it just as much as Younger. I'll definitely pick up some bottles when they hit next week. It also sounds like Trinity will be making its way to Fort Collins. Other notables were Pizza Port Bacon and Eggs, Poormans IPA, and High Country Breakfast Stout. And Tweak, of course.

It was nice to see Doodler and Ratman. Hopefully I'll get to meet some more of you guys in the future.

joshclauss and ssteigerwald like this.
  28. drumrboy22

Beer Trader

Agree with everything here. I'd also suggest seeking out Pizza Port's BA Knight Rider. Two Brothers had a wheatwine that was interesting too.

Good times last night. Different setup from the past few years. More space in the barrel room was nice. Tents got crowded at times, but not a big deal. Have fun today!

29. denver10

denver10 Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

Tap N Handle always has some Trinity offerings on tap I have noticed. I have seen Slap Your Mommy and a single IPA of theirs on tap there for the past month, at the least.

I assume, though, you are referring to bottles which should be cool.

30. FishPondManager

Beer Trader

Did anyone get the low down on why there was no BA Ten Fidy?

31. Ratman197

Probably to much sludge inthe bottom of the keg. I checked it before the fest. When I untapped it there was a lot of black sludge in the top of the opening. We cleaned it out re tapped and still would'nt pour. I went back to my pouring station and left others working on it.

FishPondManager likes this.
  32. FishPondManager

Beer Trader

Thanks for the info. That was the only disappointment in an otherwise awesome evening.

33. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard May 19, 2005 Colorado

Good times. Lotta BA versions of stuff. Wynkoop and Upslope were very tasty. Night Rider was delish as was Boulevard's Grainstorm. Some of the smaller locals were there, and while good, they were overmatched by the experienced breweries. No biggie, glad I tried them.

There was a band last night. I have mixed opinions on it. They were good, and it was nice to have live music and beer...just got crowded and kinda noisy. Then again, I'm getting old.

coreymcafee and joshclauss like this.
  34. skycracksopen

skycracksopen Jul 12, 2012 Colorado

That makes me feel better that the BA Ten Fidy wasn't being poured at all. When I saw it missing from the board, I just assumed that I was too slow and it was all gone by the time I checked for it.

35. schlegelmeister

schlegelmeister Oct 19, 2011 Massachusetts

There are no beards here, smh guys, smh.

36. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Nov 29, 2006 Colorado

I had a blast this year too! My favorites were Sentience from Crooked Stave, Tweak (as per usual) and I really enjoyed Missionary position from avery. It's always nice to have some more refreshing offerings when you're drinking heavy stouts and barleywines all day. The session station was nice too, although I don't know If I needed a full pour of white rascal after 14 or so tickets. haha Great times. (Bad hangovers)

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe