Suffolk county/islandia Long Island stay beer/food spots March 20-24

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by makisupapolice14, Feb 8, 2017.

1. makisupapolice14

makisupapolice14 Aspirant (205) Jun 5, 2005 New York

I'm headed to islandia ny for a work trip. Staying at the Hampton inn on veterans memorial highway. I'm staying with co workers and we only have one car but they would likely join me for drinks and dinner in evening. Looking for the best breweries/beer bars/food spots a half hour or less away.

Sand City, great South Bay, spider bite all look like must stops and pretty close. Are blue point, long Ireland or port Jeff worth going to?

Any other breweries or beer and food spots nearby that are must-dos? Thanks in advance

2. jwolf99

jwolf99 Initiate (120) Feb 20, 2012 New York

I think you've hit on the must-try breweries within your driving distance. Long Ireland and Port Jeff are both solid. I might even put them ahead of GSB if your time is limited. I'd pass on Blue Point. The tour is interesting given its the largest on L.I., but if you've seen other commercial operations, probably not worth the trip.

As for food, you've pretty much got EVERYTHING here. What are you looking for Barbecue? Steaks? Pizza? Italian? Chinese? Sushi? Korean? I assume a solid beer list is a must?

3. ScottKramer

ScottKramer Initiate (136) May 27, 2016 New York
    Beer Trader

Patchogue, which is close by, is beer lovers heaven, has Bobbique, which has tons of very good beers. And Hoptron-- more snacks than full dinner-- has an amazing taplist, often with NYC's hard to get beers (it is updated live on their website). They are easily walkable from each other, and Patchogue has many walkable dining options as well. (Bluepoint beer is a mile away if you desire). And Dave's Bellport beer store (beermenus) a few miles away has great selection (best on LI) and very cheap growlers.
    But going north (other direction) to Sand City, a bit out of the way, will indeed get you to an amazing taproom with some of the best beers in the region, but would need to eat elsewhere in Northport...

4. hyperguy220

hyperguy220 Initiate (140) Mar 24, 2011 New York

This guy gets it, completely agree

1940s brewing is new, and nearby ive heard some good things but havent been there. Sand city is a must visit.

I'm a big fan of taproom for burgers and they have good beers too. Flight is a new place thats owned by them and a few doors down the street. Cant comment on the beer list but the food is all based on "flights" so its kinda like tapas but you get several variations on the same thing.

As for beer stores, I would also add Swiftway on 112. Though I typically go to Bellport also, Swiftway has an equivalent selection (though fewer taps for growlers) but doesnt update social media or beermenus so they appear to be less traveled. I have been able to get some Grimm and other sought after beers there that would have been sold out many other places

5. jwolf99

I'll give you a couple of choices for each cuisine. The first choice listed for each has a rock solid beer selection and decent to excellent food. The second choice listed will be if you want the best food for that cuisine though beer/wine selection is limited. It's pretty hard to get the best of both worlds except for burgers where Vauxhall kicks ass (IMO) and has good selection, usually with a few hard to find gems.

Barbecue:
    LI Pour House - food is good but place is unique in that it's serve yourself with about 15-20 taps on wall where you pay by the ounce (get to try more beers without having to have 12 or 16 oz pour of each)
    Smokin' Al's it's about 40-45 mins away with best barbecue on L.I. IMO -- order anything but make sure you get burnt ends and Brunswick stew for appetizers

Steak
    Off the Block - not a steakhouse but top shelf butcher where you can pick your own steak (incl dry-aged) and they cook it order and serve to you in restaurant area or to go. Burgers are house blend of various cuts and are great
    Prime - your face and belly will smile, but your wallet will cry (the case with any proper steakhouse)

Burgers
    Vauxhall - Kitchen sink burger, poutine with duck sausage, mac & cheese -- 'nuff said
    Located about 10 minutes from Sand City

Mexican / Latin
    Del Fuego - St. James or Patchogue location
    Maria's - best Mexican / Spanish on LI; go for the Sangria -- even if you hate Sangria

Italian
    O Sole Mio - can't go wrong here with pizza or any of dinners
    Trattoria - best Italian you will find on L.I., no beer or wine but it's BYOB with no corkage/cappage charge (does it get better than that?)

Sushi
    Nothing that I know of with noteworthy beer selection
    Kotobuki - Hauppauge location

Chinese
    Nothing that I know of with noteworthy beer selection
    Ancient Ginger - if anything, at least get an order of Yellow Prawns; stick with the sake

If you're it for the pure selection / variety:
    Tap 'n Barrel - 52 taps, lots of bottles, no food
    Croxley's Ale House of Smithtown - 80 taps, just as many bottlest, decent food
    Hoptron - as mentioned above

6. ScottKramer

ScottKramer Initiate (136) May 27, 2016 New York
    Beer Trader

Very nice restaurant list,some great new ones for me...thanks!

cosmicevan likes this.
  7. makisupapolice14

Awesome guys killer additions exactly what I was looking for!

8. makisupapolice14

One more bump before I leave tomorrow

9. Comparison_Ford

Comparison_Ford Disciple (306) Apr 4, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

Add another recommendation for Off The Block to the list. They don't have the craziest beer selection (though they have been getting Grimm cans recently and have had beers like BCBS in the past), but the food is some of the best in Suffolk county.

makisupapolice14 likes this.
  10. socon67

socon67 Poo-Bah (1,633) Jun 18, 2010 New York

I'd second Tap 'n Barrel as a place to finish the night. Great tap list, close by your hotel, and with a flight you can try a bunch of good options.

You didn't mention how many days you have. If its one day only, I'd go with that Patchogue recommendation. You could very easily check out Blue Point, and eat\drink at Bobbique. Hoptron is closed on Monday's according to their website.

makisupapolice14 likes this.
  11. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Poo-Bah (3,228) Dec 13, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

wow, gotta try smoking Als...never heard of it. I'm a big fan of bobbique and the Patchogue recs. if you want beer though make it a priority to go to sand city. great little pizza joint/Italian rest on main street about a mile from the water...think called ninas?

I'm gonna throw a wrench out here being that u are staying in between my work and my home...up for a bottle share? I'd be down to swing by w some bottles (if the wife is cool w it) and maybe drag out some of the crew. I'm sure we could get a few heads there and rip through some great bottles.

that said, OP is from NY? where in NY?

12. makisupapolice14

I'm in town tomorrow until Saturday. My limiting factor is coworkers right now. Although they are up for checking out some spots I'm not sure how much of their time I can monopolize. Sand city and patchough seem like must dos so far.

Im from Rochester NY and may be up for a meetup. I have some good stuff right now on hand, although not much good truly local stuff on hand at the moment.

cosmicevan likes this.
  13. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Poo-Bah (3,228) Dec 13, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

cheers, enjoy your time

14. sjjn

sjjn Disciple (383) Jun 4, 2004 New York
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Destination Unknown Brewery is close to GSB if you're in the area. Had some decent stuff last time I was there. Rarely gets a mention.

If time allows a trip out on the North Fork with Stops at Braun's Fish Market (Cutchogue), Greenport Harbor (Peconic), Little Creek Oyster (Greeport) and a stop at Briarmere Farms for a pie on the way back is a good plan.

Enjoy your trip...

15. Dylan255

Dylan255 Initiate (117) May 23, 2016 New York
    Beer Trader

Sand City is a must visit. A bar with a good selection of beer on tap is the Black Sheep Ale House in Mineola. If your still around Mineola and want to eat the best Italian food hit up any of Cafe Formaggio, Bachi or Vincents. Looking for wings check out Croxley's Ale House. Hopefully you'll score some good beer.

16. kegahead

kegahead Initiate (153) Apr 9, 2008 New York

While everyone is trying to be helpful, many of these recommendations will have you driving all across the island.

If you're looking for the most convenient spot to get the best beer in the area, head to Tap & Barrel, as it's only a few miles from where you're staying. Be prepared, however, for sticker shock and the fact that they don't have a kitchen. They regularly have offerings from top NYC and LI breweries like Other Half, Grimm, LIC Beer Project, Finback, Sand City, etc. and they'll occasionally have other hard to find stuff like Tired Hands and Hill Farmstead, etc. Personally, I never go their due to the pricing (often $8-9 for 8oz pours), but it's a great destination if you're looking to sample some of the best stuff downstate without having to travel too far. I much prefer Black Sheep Ale House, but you're looking at trekking almost 30 miles as opposed to 3. The benefit of being close is that you can catch a cab ride (or Uber) cheap enough between Tap and Barrel and your hotel.

I will strongly agree that if there's one place worth the drive, it's Sand City. Easily the best brewery in the area and, while they don't have food, it's at least located in an area with other bars and restaurants. It's probably a 30-40 minute drive from the hotel, but if you're looking to drink the best beer available, that's the place to go.

Patchogue is a the other recommendation that would be worthwhile for you, as there's a concentration of places to check out.

Enjoy.

17. makisupapolice14

Any spots you suggest near sand city ? Nina's and vaulleux look good just wondering if anything else

cosmicevan likes this.
  18. hyperguy220

hyperguy220 Initiate (140) Mar 24, 2011 New York

I've heard good things about the lark

cosmicevan and makisupapolice14 like this.
  19. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Devotee (473) Aug 18, 2012 New York
    Beer Trader

Smokin Al's is amazing. The original was in Bayshore but they moved to Massapequa within the past few years. It's actually right across from Pequa Beverage which routinely has a good selection (although sometimes way overpriced!).

cosmicevan likes this.
  20. jwolf99

Quality eats in Northport Village where Sand City is located are very limited. Assuming the Maroni Cuisine's $140 tasting menu ($160 on Fri/Sat) will get red flagged on your expense report, only other suggestible places there would be Bistro 44 and Wine Cellar on Main. Tim's Shipwreck Diner and Main Street Cafe are average IMO. In the broader town of Northport, a mile or so south of the Village there's really only Seven Quarts Tavern that stands out. I'd recommend making the trip 10 minutes west to Huntington where you'll have much better choices like Vauxhall, Sapsuckers, STAGS tap house, Crabtree, Swallow, Besito, and the list goes on.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.