Site Suggestion: beer prices?

Discussion in 'Support & Suggestions' started by Dope, Mar 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dope

Dope Poo-Bah (2,283) Oct 5, 2010 Massachusetts

Maybe add it as an additional function of the beer reviews? You get a dropdown list of the potential sizes and then you input the actual price you paid for that size.

There is a lot of variation across the country and across all the stores of course. But after a few dozen entries it should average out nicely. It will be another aspect that can be used for people seeking new/different brews. Looking for barleywines rated 4 or higher and cost under $5 per bomber? Now you can find them! Plus, it can potentially help you from getting burned by stores that gouge badly.

Either that, or just add it as a "had" sort of function so you don't have to do a review to give a price. Just a checkbox of the sizes and then a field to enter the price.

Not sure how practical it would be to add, but it certainly would be nice.

Dope

mverity and DCon like this.
  2. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (12,114) Mar 18, 2010 California

Interesting but there is the possibility for abuse.

3. EgadBananas

EgadBananas Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2009 Louisiana

This might be functional if they used the data to assign an average price paid for the beer that would be located along with other general data about the beer. Since you have to account for gifts/trading/extras in which someone doesn't know a price, you couldn't make such a feature a requirement for a review. As well as what UCLABrewN84 said, there is a lot of potential for abuse by people intentionally over pricing it to raise the value of it.

In the end, I don't see it serving enough of a purpose to warrant the feature. People can, and some do, already put price into the meat of their review. That will likely be the suggestion the Bros. will give on this topic.

Cheers.

4. tewaris

tewaris Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2009 Minnesota

Potential of abuse is also present in ratings and most "abusers" would rather (try to) manipulate the ratings than a few bucks.

I think it's a good idea in principle. However, which prices should one put? Before taxes? 12 oz. single? Bomber?

I'd be more interested in a "value for money" or "worth the effort?" kind of thing that many people already incorporate in their reviews, if not necessarily in the Overall score.

5. emannths

emannths Initiate (187) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

Everyone should just add a line to their review regarding the price. Eg., 6pk for $10, pint for $6, etc. There are so many variables that go into pricing that a free-form field is probably the best way to do it. Yeah, hard to search, but the data is more reliable.

I dislike the comments about value without giving the actual price. The range of what's considered "good value" varies even more than price (just look at the bomber price threads...), so just tell me about the beer and how much it costs, and let me determine if it's a good value.

keithmurray likes this.
  6. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) Dec 30, 2011 New York

There could be some optional drop-down boxes at the bottom of reviews, maybe. One would have options like: 8oz, 12oz, 16oz, 550ml, 22oz, 750ml. And the other could have price options.

DCon and Dope like this.
  7. RVigz

RVigz Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2014 Pennsylvania

When reviewing beers, there should be a selection where you can list the price you paid per bottle. (or pint, growler, etc.) Once you list the price it should average it and display it near the beer. This would give me a much better idea on how expensive a lot of the beers are that i stumble upon and consider buying. Just a quick suggestion, what do you think?

Alex5 likes this.
  8. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (5,917) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I am personally not in favor of this but if you are going to do it, I think that you need to collect the following information:
    1. Quantity purchased
    2. Location type where purchased (store vs. bar)
    3. Geographical location where purchased (i.e., NYC is probably a lot more expensive than some other states with lower alcohol taxes)
    4. Price (including currency since this is an international site

drtth likes this.
  9. shovelit

shovelit Initiate (116) Dec 23, 2013 Pennsylvania

I think it would be nice to have the price paid somewhere in the review.
    Sometimes I read some reviews and run down to the distributor only to find it's $149.00 a case.
    I understand not all reviewers buy a case at a time but maybe just an idea of what they paid?

10. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Meyvn (1,452) Aug 29, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Write it into the review.

5thOhio and Boca-X like this.
  11. mj81

mj81 Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2013 New Jersey

/thread

MarioM likes this.
  12. DoubleJ

DoubleJ Poo-Bah (5,196) Oct 13, 2007 California
    Beer Trader

I sometimes make a note of price in my beer reviews. However, keep in mind that in different parts of the world, a given beer is priced differently. A bottle of Delirium Tremens is going to come at a different price if you buy it in Brussels, Toronto, Orange County, or São Paulo.

I find price to be more useful regarding establishment reviews; it gives a better idea if beer is cheaper or more expensive compared to the region.

13. shovelit

shovelit Initiate (116) Dec 23, 2013 Pennsylvania

Yes. I understand that. However, if a reviewer from my area wrote a review on Bell's Oberon and said he paid $29 a case I would run out and buy one instead of getting my hopes up only to find out it's out of my league. I will try to include price in my reviews from now on. It may help someone out a bit. I don't have many because I'm new to this and still trying to figure out what I like and why........

14. Boca-X

Boca-X Zealot (580) Jan 21, 2014 Missouri
    Subscriber

I agree it may help out in the search for some...and if nothing else a way to compare what others are paying. Adding it to the review makes sense...I assume we all realize there are small variations in cost due to distribution and rarity?

15. papat444

papat444 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2006 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Make it optional like it used to be and link it to point of purchase. Beerspy is one of the features i wish they would bring back. So helpful when travelling abroad.

16. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,085) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

peep my reviews to see how it's done

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.