Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Site Suggestion for Linking Nearby Feature to Places

Discussion in 'Support & Suggestions' started by SLeffler27, Nov 12, 2017.

1. SLeffler27

SLeffler27 Poo-Bah (1,771) Feb 24, 2008 New York
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

Is there a reason why the "Nearby" feature is a mobile App only? And more to my desire, would it be difficult to use the City/State/Country input table to generate the Nearby Map?

This would allow one to use the Nearby function to plan a trip prior to arriving at the destination. I know one can zoom-out, and pan to the desired location, but this is cumbersome. Occasionally after one checks-out a specific place, the app returns to the current location. Forcing the whole process to start over.

Also, why is the app US only?

Thanks.

2. Todd

Todd Founder (5,534) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Subscriber Beer Trader

It's not a mobile app and should work on all modern browsers with your location authorized. We ported it over from the old app due to demand, and until other solutions come to play.

3. SLeffler27

SLeffler27 Poo-Bah (1,771) Feb 24, 2008 New York
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

Thanks. Is there a way to use it to provide a map of a location other than where I am? For planning a trip.

4. Todd

Not at the moment. It was designed to be a very simple nearby feature.

SLeffler27 likes this.
  5. Bierman9

Bierman9 Poo-Bah (4,280) Dec 20, 2001 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

What does it base "location" on? When I go to "Nearby" it gives me a map of Pittsburg, and I'm in NH? Where your internet feed originates? Thnx

6. Todd

Depends on the device and local settings. Example: It could be based on your phone's location or your desktop browser's IP.

SLeffler27 likes this.
  7. moshea

moshea Devotee (426) Jul 16, 2007 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I was unaware that this feature even existed until now. What a cool feature.

To answer OP's question, yes you can load a map for another area. I just opened up the map for my area (Detroit) drug the map to Grand rapids and all the Grand Rapids locations loaded. I moved it again to Chicago and all the Chicago places loaded as well.

Edit, sorry I just saw that clicking and dragging is "too cumbersome" for OP. Good luck OP

SLeffler27 likes this.
  8. Bierman9

Bierman9 Poo-Bah (4,280) Dec 20, 2001 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Have 2 Desktops at home.... work and personal... just checked "nearby" on personal and it IS local... but on my work one it's western PA.... so must be something with my works IP.... thnx...

Prosit!

Bitterbill likes this.
  9. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (6,291) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Or it could be effected by your VPN connection if you need that for work (what allowed me to access lots of banned websites while in China).

Bierman9 likes this.
  10. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (5,223) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Supporter Beer Trader

My work one gives me places in AZ. LOL.
    I remember seeing a pop up that asked me to...but I ignored it.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.