Suggestions for a holiday beer

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by alli4051, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alli4051

alli4051 Aspirant (257) Oct 16, 2009 Colorado
    Trader

I think I missed my window for Thanksgiving but I'm hoping to brew something this weekend to be ready for Christmas. Problem is I have no idea what I want to brew. So give me some inspiration, and suggestions, what's everyone's style/recipe for the holidays?

2. hopsandmalt

hopsandmalt Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2006 Michigan

I'm thinking about doing a Belgian stout spiced with nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, and clove for Festivus this year.

Good for drinking around the pole whilst waiting to air my grievances.

AlCaponeJunior likes this.
  3. spartan1979

spartan1979 Aspirant (293) Dec 29, 2005 Missouri

Pick up Randy Mosher's Radical Brewing and try one of the 12 Beers of Christmas.

hopsandmalt likes this.
  4. premierpro

premierpro Aspirant (266) Mar 21, 2009 Michigan

I like a good Barly wine for Christmas! With only 7-8 weeks till then I would not brew anything over 7%. I do not like alot of spices in beer so I would prefer a Brown Ale,ESB,or California Common that for me pairs well with all the food you will be eating. Good luck!

5. FeDUBBELFIST

FeDUBBELFIST Meyvn (1,095) Oct 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

Someone just posted a link to Avery's website in another thread. Most of the recipes for their common beers are provided in detail. 'Old Jubilation' would be a good one for the season, and it should be ready in time. Here's the link:

http://averybrewing.com/brewery/recipes-for-homebrewers/

6. nolabrew

nolabrew Initiate (88) Apr 20, 2010 Louisiana

I brewed a gruit 2 weeks ago and I haven't tasted it, but the room it's fermenting in smells like Christmas now.

7. Wreckoncile

Wreckoncile Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2011 California

Great minds think alike. I actually brewed a 2.5 gallon batch of this earlier today, but I did have a slight problem. My original plan was to pitch it onto the yeast slurry from a smoked mild I bottled today. But the problem was that my smoked mild didn't exactly ferment the way it was supposed to. The OG on it was 1.031 and the expected FG should've been 1.008. I forgot to take my FG reading until after I added my priming sugar, but it came in at 1.020, and there was virtually no yeast. I was a bit shocked because I used 2/3 of a pack of nottingham dry, eventhough I didn't rehydrate, I figured the mild would only need a third of a pack rehydrated anyhow so I could afford half of it dying off. So without the yeast slurry, I ended up rehydrating the remaining third and pitched that. I'll be heading over to the LHBS store this weekend to pick up a second package of nottingham and rehydrate and pitch at least half that.

8. gtermi

gtermi Initiate (0) Apr 21, 2010 Texas

I say a Winter Warmer. They have a nice spice and you can have them ready by Thanksgiving if you brew ASAP

9. kaips1

kaips1 Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2011 Kentucky

i have an imperial chocolate stout aged with bourbon blocks and vanilla bean that im hoping will be ready for thanksgiving but if its not itll be ready by xmas or new years. i say huge all simcoe ipa

10. JebediahScooter

JebediahScooter Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2010 Vermont

I'm brewing a chocolate/coffee/oatmeal porter this weekend and giving it to folks with a suggestion to enjoy on Christmas morning whilst opening presents.

11. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Poo-Bah (2,666) May 21, 2010 Texas
    Society

However, a chile/pepper beer for festivus could easily result in a merry holiday season. Just sayin' :rolling_eyes:

12. Brewsephus

Brewsephus Initiate (130) Jan 15, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

Just brewed a Nut Brown Ale from Northern Brewer's recipe bank, ran it through BeerSmith to get everything style correct and set to my equipment. The flavor reminds me of chestnuts roasting over an open fire! Only 4 weeks from grain to glass (including bottle conditioning).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.