Site Suggestions for "Add Beer" Info

Discussion in 'Support & Suggestions' started by BlackBelt5112203, Mar 21, 2013.

?

Would you like to see "Upload Picture" and "Notes" included in the Add Beer info (not mandatory)?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackBelt5112203

BlackBelt5112203 Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

When adding beers, I feel obligated to add a picture and other notes (text from the bottle that shows up in the "Notes" section on the beer's page) along with the general beer info and review that is required. However, those pieces of information aren't able to be added on the main "Add Beer" screen, so I always find myself having to go back to the main page of the beer that I just added to add a picture and other notes. I was wondering if those couple of things could be added to the info that appears on the main "Add Beer" screen that has things like name, style, ABV, and review notes.

Obviously, not every beer has these two things, so they would not need to be mandatory to add a beer, but it would save an extra step when adding those beers that do have that information.

What do you guys think?

GONZALOYANNA and alysmith4 like this.
  2. JohnGalt1

JohnGalt1 Poo-Bah (4,636) Aug 10, 2005 Idaho
    Beer Trader

I generally try to add the notes to my review if I am one of the 1st reviewers... But it makes more sense to be at the top of the review in plain sight.

That said, adding photos right out of the gate to a 1st review is probably going to be outside the skill set of many. But once you know how, it is as easy as pie. I've added probably a few hundred photos of beers and a few dozen establishments since my wife taught me some basic photoshop. Right now, I just add the beer and review.. then crop and size the photo and upload it.

I would personally definitely support the notes function near the top.

3. BlackBelt5112203

BlackBelt5112203 Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Ya I know what you mean about the pictures. Editing them to get them just right to meet the specifications used to take me forever. I recently found this free program online called IrfanView that lets me resize, crop, and adjust quality to get them just right in literally a minute. It's helped out a bunch from that standpoint.

4. nootch23

nootch23 Initiate (179) Mar 29, 2012 Massachusetts

Makes sense to me. I'm for it.

5. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Aspirant (286) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Eliminating the 20 review minimum would be nice as well. There are some of us in the industry who don't review beers but have a steady stream of brand new stuff crossing our desks. I could probably add a dozen new beers a month if I had the power to do so.

CBlack85 likes this.
  6. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (12,114) Mar 18, 2010 California

Definitely. I have a feeling the Bros will say no because they want to be able to moderate what people are uploading.

7. TMoney2591

TMoney2591 Poo-Bah (6,693) Apr 21, 2009 Illinois

I get where you're coming from, but you'd still need to review what you add (a practice I fully support), so, in the end, you need to review either way. Hell, the only reason I'm at where I'm at in terms of reviews is because of the initial group I had to produce in order to add a few back in the day...

8. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Aspirant (286) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Easy solution to that would be to eliminate the required review as well. I'm offering to provide accurate info on new beer. Why should my subjective opinion be necessary? Also, most of the time I encounter new beers it's in the morning while I'm working; even if I could drink on the job I wouldn't start that early.

9. TMoney2591

TMoney2591 Poo-Bah (6,693) Apr 21, 2009 Illinois

The review is important because it tells something about the beer beyond the name, [stated] style, ABV, and availability: It tells what the beer is actually like, something endlessly more important to consumers than just the existence of a beer (though that is indeed important in its own right, don't get me wrong).

I was initially put off by the review requirement myself, but I learned its importance by partaking in the act itself (and in my capacity as a beer consultant: it's one thing to point out beers on the shelf, but it's another entirely to tell the customer about it)...

cavedave likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.