Suggestions for all-purpose beer glass

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Voyaging, Jun 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MUTINY

MUTINY Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2015 Virginia

Nailed it.

Hrodebert likes this.
  2. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Initiate (149) Jan 8, 2015 California

I have the Duvel, tulip, snifter and English pint glasses. The one I'm most in need of now is a heffeweisen glass. Any recs? I'd prefer a 15-16 oz glass, not the large 23 oz ones. Cheers!

3. Monkeyknife

Monkeyknife Poo-Bah (3,212) Jan 8, 2007 Missouri
    Society Trader

Tulip or snifter is my choice for any beer 98% of the time. The other 2% is from the can while outside or licking off the kitchen floor after a spill.

4. fearfactory

fearfactory Aspirant (296) Aug 12, 2012 Massachusetts

Got be only one for everything? Good old fashion, well made pint glass.

5. Brutaltruth

Brutaltruth Poo-Bah (3,519) Mar 22, 2014 Ohio
    Society

Delirium Tremens snifter and a pint glass just about covers it. A couple of tasters are good for a get together. Funny, out of all the styles of glasses I own (about 40 glasses of various shapes) it is those two I prefer over most.

6. Beer-Revelry

Beer-Revelry Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2015 Texas

I've said it once and I'll say it again, if you're wanting one singular glass that will work for and encompass all beer styles, you cannot find a better, more high quality drinking vessel than the Duvel snifter. There is literally no type of beer that is "wrong" to drink from this glass. It can hold almost two 12 ounce bottles of beer, meaning there's plenty of room for beers with massive head potentials or for if you want to get greedy with your 22oz bomber, the crystal its made from is very good quality and it has the etching in the bottom to help out with head retention.
    [​IMG]

7. Hop_God

Hop_God Meyvn (1,030) Sep 29, 2014 California

I think a Teku is very versatile.

8. Hophazzard

Hophazzard Aspirant (292) Aug 16, 2014 California

Exactly this!!! Any beer tastes better in one of these....

9. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,672) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Tiplip or red wine style glass, HF glass is great here. Pils glass for Pils and Lagers.

10. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,639) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

what particular style do you drink often, or like to drink often ?

11. mabermud

mabermud Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2006 Washington

A 15.5 oz Brandy snifter. Everything I drink out of it tastes good.

12. 4DAloveofSTOUT

4DAloveofSTOUT Poo-Bah (2,893) Nov 28, 2008 Illinois
    Society Trader

HF wine stem or SP wine stem; they are both the same shape. The glass is called "the Charente" made by the Durobar brand; prior to receiving a logo branding on the glass. It is the perfect glass shape for all beer styles. It is definitely my universal glass shape and I pour beer into it for almost all of my beer reviews unless I go to a beer tasting(dont want to break one of these glasses at a tasting). The bowl is like a hybrid of a tulip and a snifter. The glass swirls high abv barrel aged beers nicely. Provides a great shape to give the beer an excellent aroma for any style of beer.

It is a 18oz glass, so when you have a beer from a 12oz bottle or 375ml bottle you can pour without worries that you will make a mess and the entire beer will always fit even with massive head on the beer. It is also super easy to clean because the opening of the glass is not too narrow. The glass is very sturdy and well made. I can keep going on for days about why that wine stem is the most universal and best beer glass available right now. Can't think of any disadvantages of this glass.

#92 4DAloveofSTOUT, Jun 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  13. 4DAloveofSTOUT

4DAloveofSTOUT Poo-Bah (2,893) Nov 28, 2008 Illinois
    Society Trader

While that is a good glass, it is difficult to clean.

lucasj82 likes this.
  14. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2007 Minnesota

I usually just use a dimple mug.

BeerBob and Acforster2 like this.
  15. Treyliff

Treyliff Poo-Bah (4,621) Aug 10, 2010 West Virginia
    Society Trader

Tulip glass

16. BeerWizard

BeerWizard Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2012 Colorado

I think the sangria glasses from World Market suit just about any beer. Honestly, I don't know why they call them sangria glasses when they are so obviously suited for any beer. The Spiegelau IPA glasses work for just about any pale ale or lagers. That being said though, I'm drinking a DIPA from a mason jar right now, and that's pretty much all you need.

Mojo likes this.
  17. Nickcal

Nickcal Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2014 Rhode Island

I disagree with the generic pint glass. It was never intended for the use of beers and does absolutely nothing for the smell and taste of a beer.

18. imbrue002

imbrue002 Initiate (0) Oct 10, 2014 Maryland

Begian Goblet

19. drmeto

drmeto Poo-Bah (2,139) Jan 29, 2015 Germany
    Society

i had Lagers from Pilsner flutes and IPA glasses.
    The IPA glass and the snifter always won

20. lucasj82

lucasj82 Zealot (577) Aug 13, 2009 Indiana

I use a baby bottle cleaner and its not that bad.

4DAloveofSTOUT and JimKal like this.
  21. Dweedlebug

Dweedlebug Disciple (346) Feb 28, 2012 Pennsylvania

bluejacket74 likes this.
  22. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (845) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I got my glass at IKEA. Cheap and sturdy. I bought nonic types and snifter types. I like the snifter type more than my ommegang snifter/tulip

Enjoy

23. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Savant (951) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

That big sucker on the left.....

[​IMG]

haha.....jk

AntG21 and silverking like this.
  24. BWM-77

BWM-77 Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2014 Kentucky

Having only one glass is like drinking the same beer for the rest of your life. Variety is the key. Dollar tree is actually a decent place to get some everyday drinking vessels. They have a decent selection and they are only a dollar each. I pick up a lot of cool glassware at flea markets as well.

WellRested518 and priwen like this.
  25. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

I bought a Lagunitas mason jar ... I like it. It's weird that a Brewery so well known for IPAs would make that their signature glass, but whatever. I have no idea when the mason jar beer phase started an what style is appropriate but I assumed lower ABV beers with that glass.

WesMantooth and MUTINY like this.
  26. MUTINY

MUTINY Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2015 Virginia

I find that they make a fine vessel for Euro Lagers & such.

JuicesFlowing likes this.
  27. AntG21

AntG21 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 Syria

Fish bowl.

[​IMG]

BeerBob, utopiajane and MUTINY like this.
  28. priwen

priwen Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2007 Arkansas

Behold, the Libbey Super Thistle!

https://foodservice.libbey.com/var/...lass2/231295-5-eng-US/Super-Thistle-Glass.jpg

I would feel awkward drinking from a glass like that, but I still think it's kinda cool.

Like others, I feel the snifter-style glass is probably the best bet for an all-round beer glass. I picked up a couple from Dollar General for $1 each a few years ago. They look very similar to New Belgium's Globe. Personally, I don't like to spend a lot on glassware.

29. charlzm

charlzm Poo-Bah (2,180) Sep 3, 2007 California
    Society

As some have said, you really can get by with one glass: a tulip/Teku/snifter style. I also have shaker pints, nonic pints, pilsener glasses and so on, but the tulip works for pretty much everything.

30. charlzm

charlzm Poo-Bah (2,180) Sep 3, 2007 California
    Society

The trick is to not let the beer residue dry in the bottom. I rinse with warm water immediately and wash with a sponge. Occasionally, it goes in the dishwasher. No problems ever.

BWM-77 likes this.
  31. CB_Michigan

CB_Michigan Initiate (190) Sep 4, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Check out World Market as well. They have a decent selection and I got a few of these on clearance ($1.99 each) last fall:

[​IMG]

32. Das_Reh

Das_Reh Initiate (0) Mar 25, 2013 Florida

Tulip or Teku if you're fancy.

33. krome

krome Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2009 Illinois

I use this one for just about everything too (I also have a freezer chilled plastic one, for use on cheap summer beers enjoyed out on the deck in the heat of summer too).

34. Tdizzle

Tdizzle Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2006 California
    Deactivated

HopsAholic79 likes this.
  35. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Initiate (0) Sep 14, 2011 Missouri

Duvel Tulips are awesome, if not a little too large. They look half-empty after a full bottle pour. I really like the smaller Delirium tulips for most 12 oz beers. They are light and comfortable.

36. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico

Not sure what this is called. I just got gifted this one.
    [​IMG]
    It barely fits 12 ounce.

It's been taking quite a bit of playing time away from my other favorite:

[​IMG]

Fits nearly 16 ounce with foam/head. More of a globe/balloon shape.

37. Providence

Providence Crusader (713) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

Shaker pint (runs for cover)

utopiajane, MUTINY and AntG21 like this.
  38. -N8

-N8 Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2014 Germany

This elegant vessel:

[​IMG]

39. texaswhiplash

texaswhiplash Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2012 Pennsylvania

I use a 22oz stemless wine glass for 95% of the beers I drink. You can get a case of 18 of them at Costco for around $20. The glass is thick and they don't break easily. Even if they do break, who cares...they're only $1.11/each

40. Kadonny

Kadonny Meyvn (1,375) Sep 5, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Probably the Duvel tulip or a good snifter glass for all around use. I have so many favorite glasses I can't just pick one....so don't ask me what my favorite glass is.

Here is my newest glass......pretty cool. I like it.

[​IMG]

jimmygord and BWM-77 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.