Suggestions for all-purpose beer glass

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Voyaging, Jun 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ivegot3Dvision

ivegot3Dvision Zealot (544) Feb 9, 2015 Oregon
    Trader

I have a few Teku glasses that I use for everything and they're wonderful. My favorite, by far, is the Bottle Logic one... the artwork makes the beer taste better. It's science.

[​IMG]

davelag, maxifunk777 and MUTINY like this.
  2. AntG21

AntG21 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 Syria

For drinking my extensive whale collection.

[​IMG]

BeerBob, Nickcal, eppie82 and 7 others like this.
  3. JDW4195

JDW4195 Initiate (0) Sep 24, 2014 Florida

4. Thirstygoat

Thirstygoat Defender (620) Nov 22, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

The DFH tulip has a very heavy stem. Over 3 + years I've only damaged one . Along with the durability it has the viewing and smelling aspects of other tulips.

5. marquis

marquis Champion (802) Nov 20, 2005 England

Can't beat the pint glass though the 10 sided jars of old were pretty nice too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Stamped 1 Imperial Pint during the reign of George V , I bought a couple for a few pence each.The handle is very useful after a few pints , stops you dropping the glass :slight_smile:

gillagorilla, ssam, BeerBob and 4 others like this.
  6. doktorhops

doktorhops Poo-Bah (1,713) Jan 12, 2011 Australia
    Society

I +1 the Duvel tulip - easily the best go-to glass in any craft beer enthusiasts pantry.

7. BeerNDoggerel

BeerNDoggerel Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2011 Illinois

Shortly after getting interested in craft beer, I found these:

[​IMG]
    Riedel Ouverture Beer/Ice Water glasses. To me, a wide variety of beers smell and taste their best out of these. Best of all, something about the thickness and shape of the crystal really brings out the true color and look of a beer.

8. Pahn

Pahn Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2009 New York

Duvel tulip or largeish red wine glass

9. ehsteve

ehsteve Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2009 Texas

Someone else said it, but I'll reiterate: The Spiegelau IPA glass has the right characteristics for any style of beer. Tall and reasonably thin so a pilsner or weissbier looks good in it, and tapered at the top to focus the aroma of your bigger beers. Downsides are a high center of gravity and thin glass, so you've got to be careful with it. The Sam Adams "perfect pint" has most of the same benefits and is sturdier, but I know a lot of people aren't fans of the laser-etched logo.

I have way too many glasses so the idea of using one all-purpose glass is kind of foreign to me, but if I had to use just one, those would probably be my first and second choice.

10. KingEdward

KingEdward Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2010 North Carolina
    Deactivated

11. thedumbphase

thedumbphase Initiate (0) Mar 4, 2015 New Jersey

I have a pretty large collection of fancy to not so fancy glasses. The one I use the most is the Spiegelau IPA glass. Love the extra thin lip, shape of the bowl and the nucleation points & rings.

12. OldManMetal

OldManMetal Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2015 North Carolina

Just wanted to say that thanks to this thread I have a fancy new tulip that I am enjoying immensely. Thanks!

13. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,639) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

Depends on what style of beer you have on a regular basis I say...

14. Jeffreysan

Jeffreysan Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2013 Maryland

This is what I use:
    [​IMG]
    I think it's the perfect glass. It's a goblet by Spiegelau and is pretty inexpensive, high quality, and almost perfect for every beer style. Also works well for wine, cognac, brandy, etc.

Nickcal and irrevjim like this.
  15. irrevjim

irrevjim Initiate (0) Apr 10, 2005 Massachusetts

a burgundy or cabernet glass will work for any beer, though it is nice to drink pilsners out of pilsner glasses

16. adventurtons

adventurtons Initiate (0) May 30, 2015 Connecticut

17. Cnote_crafty_1

Cnote_crafty_1 Initiate (0) Apr 8, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Deactivated

everyone says tulip glasses. They seem like wine glasses to me. I like a thick curved glass beer mug with dimples on the outside. [​IMG] Everything just looks so good in it.

18. broadway848

broadway848 Zealot (599) Jun 8, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

Spiegelau IPA and stout glasses are both good.

surfcaster likes this.
  19. CB_Michigan

CB_Michigan Initiate (190) Sep 4, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Cnote_crafty_1 likes this.
  20. Peter_Wolfe

Peter_Wolfe Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2013 Oregon

I like the Spiegelau tulip-topped IPA glasses: here's an amazon link. Ostensibly developed to enhance hop aroma in IPAs, they work just as well for any other style of beer, and are more comfortable/roomier than a traditional straight tulip (19 oz. = room enough for a pint + head).

I also quite like drinking porters and stouts out of these pub style glasses: amazon link. They don't enhance aroma like the above Spiegelaus, but they're just comfortable and enjoyable.

21. EveningCordial

EveningCordial Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2014 New Jersey

Order a snifter from a brewery you like online.

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe likes this.
  22. jgido759

jgido759 Aspirant (291) Oct 7, 2014 New Jersey

On a related, or non-related topic, I'm looking for a "less breakable" option to use while tailgating, other than the cheesy standard "red solo cup". Maybe something made of a harder plastic that can be washed and reused.

Any suggestions from the beer glass enthusiasts?

23. Uhopia

Uhopia Initiate (0) Jun 12, 2015 Wisconsin

If I may... I have not ready every posting here but I feel compelled to tell you that no glass is perfect for every beer. But since I tend to keep to one variety for the most part, this little number has been worth it's weight in gold. And the pricetag nearly proves it. Keep the beverage cold, your hands warm, and sweat on your brow not the glass. Double it up baby!

http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Pavina-...pebp=1434131340803&perid=BB4F7D4B99DC4754B0E4

24. Uhopia

Uhopia Initiate (0) Jun 12, 2015 Wisconsin

jgldo759 How about a red solo cup - double walled of course.

http://www.amazon.com/Trudeau-16-Ou...pebp=1434131754358&perid=F7D3F67EE07B4797A100

25. KurtE

KurtE Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2012 Illinois

[​IMG]

My favorite......

Cnote_crafty_1 and Nickcal like this.
  26. JimKal

JimKal Zealot (504) Jul 31, 2011 North Carolina

Perhaps some craft cans would do it for you. Nice logos, disposable, and recyclable.

27. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland

This only if there's an etched logo in the middle of the bowl to concentrate the Carbonation bubbles to the center. That would cause the Aromatics to blow your nostrils apart!

28. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,350) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

I use a glass Starbucks coffee mug about half the time. It's big (at least 16 oz. unless cans are lying to me...), nice handle and base, nice circumference on top as to hold the aroma. I have other really nice glassware and even use them for the NBS and WBAYDN thread pics but I still rely heavily on old Starbuck....

29. Rothobinide

Rothobinide Disciple (354) Jun 28, 2014 California

I'm a huge fan of the miniature brandy snifters that you can buy at World Market or other such retailers. That said, if you're going for a full pour, either the American Shaker Pint or a Tulip glass are my usual go-tos

30. Rothobinide

Rothobinide Disciple (354) Jun 28, 2014 California

BeerBob likes this.
  31. jgido759

jgido759 Aspirant (291) Oct 7, 2014 New Jersey

Not really a fan of drinking out of cans... I even pour them into a glass.

Call me crazy...

32. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (7,221) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

a nonic imperial-pint glass - dishwasher safe, not fragile, and big enough to hold 500ml bottles.
    [​IMG]

eppie82 and RockAZ like this.
  33. beerluvr

beerluvr Meyvn (1,220) Jan 2, 2001 Canada (ON)

That's been my "go-to" glass for years.

34. beerluvr

beerluvr Meyvn (1,220) Jan 2, 2001 Canada (ON)

Das BOOT!

35. Cottontown201

Cottontown201 Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2013 South Carolina

A-B says screw your dark beers and stemware.

36. Yargamo

Yargamo Initiate (0) Jun 9, 2015 New York

I have 80 glasses but I only need 3: 1) Nonic Imperial 2) Tall Tulip 3) Willi

Fuck snifters all over

herrburgess likes this.
  37. JimKal

JimKal Zealot (504) Jul 31, 2011 North Carolina

Oh, I don't drink out of cans. But you asked about tailgating possibilities. there are shatter resistant glasses but I doubt they would be any better than drinking right from the can. I do love craft in cans but, like you, I always pour them into a glass.

38. DaveAnderson

DaveAnderson Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2011 Minnesota

Mine is not laser-etched. I just now used a razor blade to turn it into an unblemished, unlabeled perfect pint glass. Took less than 2 minutes.

lucasj82 and ehsteve like this.
  39. hudsonvalleyslim

hudsonvalleyslim Disciple (313) May 29, 2003 Massachusetts

The label on mine was wearing off (cheap silkscreen I guess) so I took steelwool to it and VOILA! Now it's label-less. Recently bought a Spiegelau Stout glass which is nice but very thin and lightweight. I generally like heavier glasses, mugs & shakers for ales, and a Chimay chalice for my (very occasional) Belgians.

I'm good with straight from the bottle or can as well. Or horizontal on the bar with my head under the tap!

lucasj82 likes this.
  40. hudsonvalleyslim

hudsonvalleyslim Disciple (313) May 29, 2003 Massachusetts

Got one of these, from Baxter Brewing in Maine. It's in the rotation. And of course, they'll stand on edge if yer into stupid bar tricks. (Which I am.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.