Suggestions for all-purpose beer glass

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Voyaging, Jun 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PGD120

PGD120 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2015 New Jersey

if i had to only pick one itd be one of these. not really sure what to call it, sort of like a mega wine glass, goblet sort of thing.

[​IMG]

with that said i probablly use tulips and snifters and wheat glasses more often, and pints for lagers

2. Jerk_Store

Jerk_Store Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2015 Canada (QC)

The two main glasses I use the most are my Spiegelau IPA glass and Duvel tulip. The Duvel just accommodates pretty much any beer. If the branding turns you off, find a nice art series glass. Many dislike the Daan, but being an artist myself, I appreciated his short video on the Duvel website.

[​IMG]

3. RockAZ

RockAZ Disciple (341) Jan 6, 2009 Arizona

Looks like OP got his answers and then some, but for another modest push from an veteran imbiber: Go Spiegelau or Riedel or go back to swigging from the bottle. Anything else is not going to hold up. I personally like my Duval tulip glasses for taking on any serious flavor slash aroma testing, but that is just the shape. For glasses in any form that will last you, Spiegelau or Riedel.

4. dianimal

dianimal Initiate (0) Apr 18, 2012 California

This glass and the willi becher are my favorites!

5. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Deactivated

Tulip. I can enjoy almost any style in it.

6. Scrapss

Scrapss Meyvn (1,010) Nov 15, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

[​IMG]
    Found this at Target today, best $20 I spent there ever. Almost covers everything.

ssam, WellRested518, BeerBob and 4 others like this.
  7. StartedwithSAM

StartedwithSAM Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2015 Virginia

That's the same set I picked up from Target, nice. Had to get a Tulip from Boulevard but I would like one with a less subtle shape.

BeerBob and Scrapss like this.
  8. lucasj82

lucasj82 Zealot (577) Aug 13, 2009 Indiana

My set must have forged to have the labels longer than life will exist on this planet. I tried steel wool, razor blades, and even some paint thinners....Still pristine like Jim Koch would want.

9. FaradayUncaged

FaradayUncaged Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2014 Michigan

It's been said over and over in here already, but a great tulip glass is definitely the right place to start and can be used for any style (and somehow just seems much cooler than a standard pint glass).

10. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (553) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

What do you mean by miss? I still find them at my bottle shop.

11. beaulabauve

beaulabauve Disciple (394) Aug 5, 2011 Louisiana

I bought a set from Spieglau of all the major styles. If they are not available, I have 6 Sam Adams perfect pints to go around.

12. DiUr

DiUr Initiate (197) Aug 14, 2014 Spain

I don't! Broke mine but didn't see it in the place i bought it anymore, nor looked for it online (or in the bars they serve Urthel). Not really mad for the glass but it served very well as an all purpose one, and would buy again if it happens to be around.

13. Beer21

Beer21 Champion (848) Oct 17, 2010 Florida
    Society

Dump the fake pinecones and artichokes from your wife/girlfriend's closest decorative "piece" and have at it!

14. johnjohnbeer

johnjohnbeer Initiate (145) Oct 27, 2012 Ohio

Depends on the beer. Something more sessionable I use a Nonic Pint, ipa\dipa i use a tulip, big stouts/sours I use a teku.

Everything else I use my 16oz sniffter.

15. BeerBob

BeerBob Initiate (0) May 30, 2002 Nebraska

Have the same set, sweet!

ssam and Scrapss like this.
  16. Cnote_crafty_1

Cnote_crafty_1 Initiate (0) Apr 8, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Deactivated

17. WellRested518

WellRested518 Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2014 New York

HF stemware is nice, but it breaks easily and is often uneven. I would go with the snifter/tulip hybrid that you can pick up at virtually any good brewery. Nordic pints, large stemless, Weis glasses, and mugs are also great. The beers we drink aren't swill... portraying them in the right light really adds to the whole experience. Personally, I'm looking into getting a stange for geueze.

18. brureview

brureview Poo-Bah (2,330) Jan 20, 2012 Massachusetts
    Society

Where can I buy one?

19. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

The Internet. You can purchase anything on the internet.

20. loafinaround

loafinaround Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2011 New York

honestly, I'm not into micromanaging glass styles. And the benefit of aromas is rather minimal IMO. cost v. benefit? Not worth it.

A simple pint glass please.... And, to make you happiest, with custom sand blasted graphics of what you like the most (go on etsy) That way, you have a smile on your face before you even pop the cap. (Sand blasted so you can pop that bastard into the dishwasher.)

here's mine:
    [​IMG]

21. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Initiate (0) Aug 21, 2005 Minnesota

Snifter or tulip fits the bill well for an all purpose glass.

JackRWatkins likes this.
  22. Gundlach

Gundlach Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2012 Colorado

Tulip Pints with nucleated bases.
    ^The glass I use most often. Mostly b/c I think they're best for drinking ipas out of, and that's what I drink the most of.

23. a77cj7

a77cj7 Poo-Bah (1,800) May 7, 2010 South Dakota
    Society

I use plastic over-sized red wine glasses. Few bucks each at target. Unbreakable within reason, hold 20oz or so.

24. Jsteez

Jsteez Zealot (535) Apr 28, 2012 Utah

The pokal glass is a decent glass.

BeerBob likes this.
  25. stickboy1125

stickboy1125 Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2012 Virginia
    Deactivated

26. Doug537

Doug537 Initiate (0) Apr 24, 2013 Colorado

Wellington, I guess its also called a Schooner.
    [​IMG]

ssam likes this.
  27. Harlan_Pepper

Harlan_Pepper Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2014 Indiana

I first drank out of one these (Lawson's-branded) at Blackback in Waterbury, VT about a month ago. It was a revelation to me! The perfect beer glass in my eyes! Thanks for the brand info, now I need to buy some of these.

PJ_ likes this.
  28. turbotype

turbotype Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2013 California

OP, you are going to get a lot of different answers, most of which are probably fine suggestions. But if I were you, I would just buy and drink from a glass that you like. Anything from a simple run of the mill pint glass up to any of the fancier specialized offerings. I have a few different styles of beer glasses that fulfill my needs, but I almost always end up using a simple Founders pint glass or my trusty Duvel glass. Plain and simple get the job done.

29. Yargamo

Yargamo Initiate (0) Jun 9, 2015 New York

I could get by with a nonic and a tulip if I had to limit myself to two glasses (which I do not).

JimKal likes this.
  30. YodersBeerEmporium

YodersBeerEmporium Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2014 Iowa

I could get by just using a tulip, but what fun would that be??

Hop-Droppen-Roll likes this.
  31. Hop-Droppen-Roll

Hop-Droppen-Roll Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2013 Minnesota

My favorite glass. Perfect for all beers. Only $5

http://fultonbeer.com/fulton-gear

Edit: oops, it won't let me link directly to the glass. Just choose the 'glassware and accessories' category - it's the only one.

32. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,684) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

While I use fancier glassware for things like Lambics (and similar US beers), I use a glass similar to this most of the time.

[​IMG]

dagimp, FaradayUncaged and rogerdandy like this.
  33. stonermouse

stonermouse Initiate (0) Aug 16, 2006 Massachusetts

The Sam Adams Perfect Pint is my regular glass, unless the beer absolutely calls for something else specific. I've also become fond of the can-shaped glass, which doesn't get enough love probably because it looks gimmicky, but they really are a good all-purpose glass.

34. Derranged

Derranged Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2010 New York

At a beer festival the other day I got meself an EKU vessel. I look forward to drinking from it.

35. Derranged

Derranged Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2010 New York

Just use one of these and you'll be fine

[​IMG]

36. Hop-Droppen-Roll

Hop-Droppen-Roll Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2013 Minnesota

So, has anyone else noticed that OP hasn't logged in since the day after joining and posting his question? I send him a direct message with my suggestion. Hopefully he gets an email about that.

37. RPM3334

RPM3334 Aspirant (212) Jul 27, 2015 South Carolina

I personally prefer the Duvel glasses. Great aroma

Element1290 likes this.
  38. twb0392

twb0392 Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2014 Wisconsin

The Sam Adams glass is pretty nice for hoppy or malty beers.

39. CantankerousCaveBear

CantankerousCaveBear Initiate (0) Jul 26, 2015 Canada (ON)

Honestly, I find myself using a Tulip glass more than anything else. Even for imperial stouts.

40. Archagon

Archagon Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2015 California

Picked up one of these Libbey Belgian glasses at BevMo for $3. The shape is perfect, but the glass quality is a bit poor (as you would expect for that price). Anyone know of a beer glass that has this exact shape but that has wine glass quality?

Still love it, though! Great for everything.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.