Suggestions for all-purpose beer glass

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Voyaging, Jun 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldManMetal

OldManMetal Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2015 North Carolina

Went out, bought a tulip glass, and was never seen again... I bet that's more common than it sounds.

2. lester619

lester619 Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin

I used to think I needed to match the right glass to the style of beer I was drinking. I don't really bother with that anymore. I just grab the nearest mug or pint glass and call it good. There are a lot of really cool looking glasses that can make your beer look awesome, but I don't think it matters flavor wise.

beerded_drunk likes this.
  3. algebeeric_topology

algebeeric_topology Zealot (516) Dec 30, 2014 New York
    Trader

Especially if you're butt chugging.

4. lester619

Those things are just goofy.

5. lester619

He's probably spending his time doing something other than reading posts on a beer website, the loser. I hope I never end up like that.

6. Derranged

Derranged Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2010 New York

Butt chugging?

Is that a euphemism for Bud Light? (Butt-light)

algebeeric_topology likes this.
  7. algebeeric_topology

Trader

I mean, it's probably been done with Bud Light...

Derranged likes this.
  8. Kwak

Kwak Initiate (0) Nov 1, 2002 New Jersey

i like Tulip glasses butt if i was going to get just one style of glasses it would be a set of mugs

9. Derranged

Derranged Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2010 New York

I just googled butt chugging. Crikey... That's wicked, lad.

10. PourMore

PourMore Initiate (81) Oct 4, 2014 Florida

Important note up front: The following efforts only apply when I am trying new/unfamiliar beer. If I know the beer, then I don't need help with smells/flavors. So i can use a normal shaker and whatever. But for new beers, I try to pay attention to the glass.

After paying very close attention to many glass styles, I have concluded that the snifter is the best all-around beer glass (in my humble opinion). If you manage to get one that is a bit taller than usual, then it is a win-win-win. Enough space to hold a big pour. Enough nose space and narrow enough rim to hold a great head aroma. Enough surface area to warm-while-you-drink and let that flavor develop as the sweetness and malts come out. I got some very nice and (somewhat) tall snifters as a Christmas gift that were intended as all-purpose beverage glasses (mostly red-or-white wine and dessert-wine) that I have been using as beer glasses for several years now. They are my go-to option. My number one criterion for a glass is actually tapered top, meaning the rim is narrower than the body. You really need that feature to capture the aroma. It doesn't have to be *way* narrower. Trappist glasses are only slightly narrower and they usually do the trick (but not quite as well, imo).

utopiajane and Archagon like this.
  11. algebeeric_topology

Trader

Sometimes I bust out the Riedel cab sauv/pinot glasses and tease my (sommelier) wife about drinking wine from her exquisite wine glasses.

12. Bogart2930

Bogart2930 Initiate (0) Jul 11, 2015 Florida

Das Horn!!!! Seriously though I love my teku glasses pretty much the same effect of the snifter but with the added bonus of having a narrower opening. Got to admit I felt I crossed some line when drinking out of it the first time.

13. mstrcrwly

mstrcrwly Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2013 New York

I pour everything into a tulip or a snifter..both good all purpose glasses

14. beersnobraven

beersnobraven Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2014 Illinois

I use a snifter for pretty much everything.

15. Cnote_crafty_1

Cnote_crafty_1 Initiate (0) Apr 8, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Deactivated

Hey, I like the looks of this glass. Now if I could just bring myself to buy something from a place
    called Bed, Bath and Beyond. OH, that's right I bought Christmas gifts for my mom, sister and most
    of the females on my Christmas list there. There is that.

16. pat61

pat61 Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota
    Society

If your spouse, partner, or whoever will let you have 6 glasses, get the Libbey Craft Brew Sampler 6-Piece Beer Glasses Set. It has a pilsner, english pub, Belgian Ale (Tulip), craft pub, a porter stout galss and a 23 oz wheat beer glass. You can get them on Amazon for $20. If you are stuck with only one glass, I like the Dogfish head signature glass for $8 - it has the right shape for most beers and it's hefty and fits nicely in the hand. The 19 oz Spiegelau glasses are also very nice and feel good in the hand. they are a little delicate and elegant but you can pick up a 2-pack from Amazon for $16. If you have outrageous appetites and favor wee heavies get the Libby Super Thistle Scotch Ale glass - its 21 oz., is hefty, fits nicely in the hand and costs $13.50 from Amazon.

PhillyRiver likes this.
  17. PhillyRiver

PhillyRiver Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2015 Pennsylvania

[​IMG] Just received my Libbey 6 beer glass set $20 yesterday at vacation house where they did not have good beer glasses until now. No way to insert the picture, I tried, sorry... porter in porter glass, summer ale in nonic, etc.

18. PhillyRiver

Oh, person before me recommended same set. Yes. And why wouldn't a spouse let you spend $19.99 on nicely shaped 6 beer glasses? What could possibly be a better buy? Why would you have to ask permission for that?

19. PhillyRiver

Barndy drinkers wouldn't call that a snifter. And it's a tulip shape.

20. Ipaupaweallpa

Ipaupaweallpa Initiate (0) Dec 26, 2014 Alabama

[​IMG] Duvel Tulip if u want the best possible classy experience, Libby Tulip for an all purpose. The Libby Tulips you can get 4/$20 on target.com. Just look up hard cider glasses. Also the Libby ones are way thicker not as delicate as the duvels

21. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,993) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

I have one of about every style thanks to tap takeovers. But I found the one I have been using the most for stouts/IPA's has been a Tulip from St Arnolds (ICON) that holds about 16 oz. Beer just looks good in it

22. muddyh2oblues

muddyh2oblues Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2010 Illinois
    Deactivated

That's the glass I use the most. Have many others, but use that one the most. The one pictured below is my second choice. I like Pale Ales, IPA's, Farmhouse Ales, Black Ales, Belgians, Porter's, and Stout's out of either one of these 2 glasses. Pilsener's get a Pilsener glass, though.

[​IMG]

23. muddyh2oblues

Deactivated

Oh, and Hefe's get their own glass too! So, I guess what I'm saying is you need more than one type of glass.

24. muddyh2oblues

Deactivated

[​IMG]
    This is what my children got me for Christmas a few years ago. Libbey's Craft Brew Assorted Set. Around $25, every glass you will need.

25. JackRWatkins

JackRWatkins Defender (677) Nov 3, 2014 Alabama

good snifter will do the trick for anything really

26. NoahMayes

NoahMayes Initiate (0) May 14, 2015 Texas

I like the can shaped glass. It just feels right. Plus it fits in a coozie.

27. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (1,849) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Society

I use my stange the most. For any type of lager and IPAs. i feel for carbonation this is best for me ( which the two i drink the most of) Had a chalice for stouts so it opens it up but its now broken so i use a nonic for darker, heavier beers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.