Suggestions for Dual Tap Beers for Holiday Party

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by JoeN1208, Nov 7, 2019.

1. JoeN1208

JoeN1208 Initiate (16) May 6, 2019 Illinois

Hi Everyone.

I am a dual Kegerator newbie and I am looking for a few keg suggestions for a holiday party coming up in a few weeks.

I was hoping to tap one holiday/festive type ale or lager on one and then something a;little darker (a Porter?) on the other. My Kegerator is able to tap two sixtel kegs.

I am also looking for suggestions and also some directions on how to best tap the darker brew., say the Porter. I have separate CO2 controls for each keg, so I am not stuck with just one pressure,. So far, I have just tapped lagers (Dortmunder Gold, Flywheel Pilsner) and one Ale (Dumaine Dupage).

Thanks for your help!

J

2. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,825) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I'd say that unless you're thinking of running a nitro beer I wouldn't do anything with your CO2. Just get it to run right, and stick with what the brewers gave you. You don't seem to have enough experience to start adjusting carbonation levels and that could lead to trouble.

I like your idea of a festive/holiday beer but I don't have any suggestions, and I also like the idea of a darker beer except that that's limiting for some folks - depends on who your guests are, and what you'll otherwise have available in bottles and cans.

3. billandsuz

billandsuz Devotee (410) Sep 1, 2004 New York

When I hear the two choices, a holiday/festive type ale or lager and then something a little darker (a porter?), I suggest carefully selecting the darker beer.
    Holiday beers tend to be dark, boozy and malty. Not always and there are many varieties that are less aggressive but in general fest beer is not All Day pints.

Having two beers is great, and the second beer should probably be a bit lighter and drinkable than the fest beer if you should decide to tap a traditional fest beer. A porter could work but you and your guests may also want something that goes a bit more dry and drinkable.
    Cheers

BeastOfTheNortheast and Redrover like this.
  4. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Devotee (408) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

What about something like Celebration and then something like Boston Lager?

Redrover likes this.
  5. PortLargo

PortLargo Devotee (463) Oct 19, 2012 Florida

Nothing says Xmas better than Arrogant Bastard & La Fin Du Monde

6. spersichilli

spersichilli Initiate (115) Apr 26, 2018 Florida
    Trader

something dark and something light. I see illinois, I'd snag a keg of revolution eugene and then maybe their pils or session IPA