Summer of "turbid" IPAs?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bubseymour, Apr 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,195) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

So I created a thread last year called "summer of Gose" as it seems it was the year that Gose style brews exploded from just a couple scattered small breweries to many national and regional breweries. I have a hunch that this will be the summer of many New England style "turbid" unfiltered IPAs popping up across the country and in your bottle shops soon. Maybe I'm wrong. Thoughts?

JFresh21 and Eamonn-Cummings3 like this.
  2. darkandhoppy

darkandhoppy Aspirant (264) Dec 26, 2008 Connecticut

my last 3 summers have all been turbid IPA summers :grinning:

3. NotHereForGold

NotHereForGold Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2015 Wisconsin

I have no problem if this trend takes hold

4. YamBag

YamBag Initiate (181) Feb 2, 2007 Pennsylvania

Not at my house. It'll be the summer of Head Hunter IPA

5. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

I think you'll find a lot of brewers resisting the turbid, hazy IPA. But I do think this could be the summer of the tropical IPA. More and more breweries seem to be producing beers that taste of passionfruit, mango, papaya and pineapple. I'm not complaining although I do wonder if I'll fatigue eventually, especially as these beers are all starting to taste more or less the same.

jssf, afish, Shroud0fdoom and 10 others like this.
  6. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,931) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

"...New England style "turbid" unfiltered IPAs popping up across the country..."

I will follow this 'news story'. So far murky IPAs have for the most part been localized but if breweries in Kansas, North Dakota, Mississippi, etc. start making Murky IPAs that would be noteworthy.

Cheers!

matcris likes this.
  7. JackHorzempa

Society

Have you seen any bottled Head Hunter at your local beer stores?

Back in January one of the owners of a local beer distributor told me that bottled Fat Heads beers would be available on April 1st. It is now April 18th and I have not seen any bottles. Was this an April Fools joke!?!:astonished:

Cheers!

bubseymour likes this.
  8. bubseymour

Society Trader

Well Aslin Brewery in Northern VA is nailing them so the virus is spreading! :-)

SlothB77 and phillyhops like this.
  9. JackHorzempa

Society

It is possible your 'prediction' of across the country could come true. The end of summer is September 21st so there is still a number of months for this 'new trend' to happen.

Cheers!

10. bubseymour

Society Trader

Well Stone did the Enjoy by Unfiltered recently, and although it wasn't completed a murky OJ bomb in appearance like many from the North East, it was the best Enjoy By I've tasted so far. I thought it was great. So a big CA brewer has their chips pushed in. Who's next? Probably some small brewers from around I'd guess. I think Lagunitas and Sierra need to throw something "turbid" out there for us.

JFresh21 likes this.
  11. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Poo-Bah (8,159) Dec 4, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

In my humble opinion, I think the turbid beers are slowing catching on but these crazy beers using fruit juice already have momentum. With the warm weather coming, I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing more of these. Personally, they're not my gig but I know alot of people like them. The most obnoxious one I've had lately is 3 Citrus Peel Out from Southern Tier. May as well pour the stuff out of a Tropicana bottle!! To their credit, the label description is dead on, I was forewarned. :flushed:

[​IMG]

#11 jzeilinger, Apr 19, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  12. JackHorzempa

Society

Yes, I had a glass of this beer on draft at a local beer bar. That beer was not murky at all. It was just barely hazy; I could readily discern my fingers on the other side of the glass.

If you are using Stone Enjoy By unfiltered as an example of a "turbid" IPA then I would say that your prediction has already been met.

Cheers!

Dando274 and Masonz223 like this.
  13. bubseymour

Society Trader

I'm with you. Most of these Fruity Pebble IPAs I'm not really on board with (most of the Sculpin variants), as I prefer my fruitiness to come straight from the hops and not infused or creating an IPA-Shandy-Raddler concoction. A few winners thought like the Shlafly Grapefruit IPA I thought was quite solid. Majority are not though.

14. bubseymour

Society Trader

No I'm not. It wasn't nearly at the appearance level of NE IPAs but I did think it tasted awesome.

15. JackHorzempa

Society

That beer taste like 'regular' Enjoy By to me. I did not notice any difference in flavor/mouthfeel/whatever.

Cheers!

kliend and TongoRad like this.
  16. 2Xmd

2Xmd Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2013 New York

I'm hoping for a wave of dry-hopped pilsners instead, but it looks like this will be the summer of fruit infused IPAs.

17. bubseymour

Society Trader

Hmmm wish there was a way for us to do a side- by- side, but I guess that isn't really an option with the Enjoy Bys. I personally thought it was a step up from the regular Enjoy By (which I liked as well) but who knows.

18. bubseymour

Society Trader

IMO the fruit infused IPAs already in full swing and exploded this winter and spring. Not sure if there will continue to be an upward trend in even more widespread releases or not. I mean SA already has one out. Maybe your right though.

2Xmd likes this.
  19. GameOfBeers

GameOfBeers Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2014 Pennsylvania

Head Hunter is readily available in PA

20. hophugger

hophugger Poo-Bah (2,352) Mar 5, 2014 Virginia
    Society

I would be extremely happy to see this all summer long. Hope it is true !!!

21. skleice

skleice Aspirant (277) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

I live in New England.....it's a year long thang!

kalosjakar likes this.
  22. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,876) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Except there do seem to be better batches than others, for whatever reason (and, no, I'm not saying the recipe changes- to others reading along :wink:). That one just happened to be one of the best batches I've had, while still tasting like Enjoy By at the heart of it.

cavedave likes this.
  23. dripa8

dripa8 Initiate (183) Sep 19, 2014 Kansas

The next enjoy by is a tangerine,so there's more fruit. They also have a mystery IPA coming. Jack is right though, we get stuff in Kansas from the other states, but really not the NE. So I've never had the so called hazy ne style. And they ain't brewing em here.

24. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,876) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Monkey see, monkey do...

Modern craft beer drinkers are so easy to predict manipulate take advantage of please :grinning:.

laketang, Jkolls, LuskusDelph and 8 others like this.
  25. dripa8

dripa8 Initiate (183) Sep 19, 2014 Kansas

However,I just had Waldo's from Lagunitas tonight and it was certainly not clear. Delicious though!

26. Jay_P22

Jay_P22 Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2016 Virginia

I hope so. Love those juice bomb unfiltered IPAs. Tree house has perfected it and I crave them now. Swish was amazing as well from Bissell. A local Virginia brewery called Aslin is killing it with mind the hop and brining sexy back. Keep making them.

27. ArsMoriendiOU818

ArsMoriendiOU818 Zealot (554) Nov 5, 2013 Virginia

I think it's fair to have called last summer the "summer of Gose," but it certainly helps that good examples were found nearly everywhere. This is nowhere near the case with the turbid IPA's. Personally, I am excited for warm weather to come back so I can crush some Gose's on my kayak. I do get to drink turbid IPA's pretty frequently, but they are more for sharing than relaxing and taking to the face, considering the effort I have to make to obtain them. I also prefer the lower ABV of gose's for hanging out for extended periods of time drinking. This year, like last year, will be the summer of Gose and turbid IPA's for me.

ONovoMexicano likes this.
  28. JackHorzempa

Society

I have had it on draft many times in SEPA but I have not seen any bottles yet. Is bottled Head Hunter available in SEPA (like it is in Western PA)?

Cheers!

29. GameOfBeers

GameOfBeers Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2014 Pennsylvania

no clue, im from the burgh

30. JackHorzempa

Society

Fat Heads just recently (Jan. 2016) started distributing their draft beer to SEPA. Hopefully the bottles will arrive soon. When that happens your statement of "Head Hunter is readily available in PA" will be universally true (assuming that the expanded distribution is not just a SEPA thing).

Cheers!

31. matcris

matcris Meyvn (1,171) Sep 17, 2015 Arizona

Bring that shit on, Brother!

VABA and JackHorzempa like this.
  32. JackHorzempa

Society

@bubseymour and I are counting on you to keep us abreast of the North Dakota brew scene wrt "New England" style murky IPAs. Please let us know when you first see a North Dakota brewed murky IPA.

Cheers!

matcris likes this.
  33. matcris

Count on it. And remember....patience...is a virtue. :stuck_out_tongue:

VABA likes this.
  34. JackHorzempa

Society

But, but, but... @bubseymour has a schedule to keep here.:rolling_eyes:

The North Dakota brewers have to make this beer before 9/21/16 to support the 'prediction'.:slight_smile:

Cheers!

matcris likes this.
  35. jcoleMA66

jcoleMA66 Devotee (456) May 16, 2015 Massachusetts

I'm all for it, although still has to be done well. Some of the Hoof Hearted IPAs have looked kind of gruesome, for example.

36. matcris

Listen, I've lived here, off and on for most of my life. And one thing I can tell you for sure about the Flickertail state: We check out how everything else is working around the country, add ten years....THEN we do it!

37. JackHorzempa

Society

Oh boy!

There goes another 'prediction'!?!:flushed:

Cheers!

matcris likes this.
  38. matcris

Just think of me as Superman, I always tell the truth. Actually, make that Tony Montana. "I always tell the truth, even when I lie."

#38 matcris, Apr 19, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    Shroud0fdoom, JackHorzempa and VABA like this.
  39. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

Not sure if they are dry-hopped, but Barrier's Rotationer Pilsner should be up your alley.

2Xmd likes this.
  40. bubseymour

Society Trader

Summer of 2026...the North Dakota Unfiltered IPA craze hits full force. Signed, Nostradamus of beer!

matcris and JackHorzempa like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.