Summer of "turbid" IPAs?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bubseymour, Apr 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. honkey

honkey Disciple (321) Aug 28, 2010 Arizona
    Brewery Trader

Lol... Nice attempt at trolling. The difficulties of securing hop contracts has become outrageous. I'm assuming you've never had to work one up otherwise you would realize how overly simple you made that comment sound. 3 years ago as a brewery that brewed 1,000 BBl of beer, it was impossible for us to know that we would be needing 2,000 lbs each of Citra, Centennial, and Amarillo. We had never had an issue with contracting the 200-300 lbs we needed until last year. We were going year by year and then next thing we know, these hops are contracted out for the next 5 years. .

2. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,010) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Two of my favorite beers are out of production now because (brewery not named here) also didn't expect to be brewing the number of barrels he routinely puts out now when he made his contracts. You guys not only need to be supermen in the brewhouse, but psychics as well. Cheers! to you, and thanks for all you do.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  3. honkey

honkey Disciple (321) Aug 28, 2010 Arizona
    Brewery Trader

In all honesty, while the availability of hops does suck and can be frustrating at times, this is what makes it fun. Learning to achieve unique flavors with what we have available I think is the number one most fun thing to do as a brewer in the industry today. We have found ways to achieve flavors similar to Citra with the use of Bravo and Calypso just by changing some of our processes. The changes we are having to make to our DIPA and Pale Ale has made my job exciting again after a few months of banging my head in frustration brewing the same beers over and over again and wanting to have time to play. Now in the last month we have released 2 100% Brett Beers in bottles, our first can release of a hefeweizen, and with these experiments with the hops, I'm having a blast!

4. ThomasJ25

ThomasJ25 Initiate (0) Jun 2, 2014 Pennsylvania

Haha, you think it's just going to be this summer? The turbid IPA is here to stay, thank God! The best IPA's being made right now are almost all hazy (Green, Haze, Juice Machine, Tired Hands IPA's, Swish, Epiphany), just to name a few. Recently had some super fresh Pliny and Pseudo Sue. I used to love these and they are still great, but they have taken a back seat to the NE style IPA's.

At the end of the day, I will drink anything that tastes delicious. If a brewer can make a super smooth, creamy, and a ton of citrus and hoppy IPA and have it be clear, then sign me up. I can't believe I am going to say this but I am tired of the bite that wears out your palette. I feel like I can drink two or three Green's where one Pliny kind of destroyed my taste buds.

5. DNICE555

DNICE555 Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2008 Connecticut

Great Notion is making these in Portland Oregon... and very well might I add.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  6. LuskusDelph

LuskusDelph Initiate (0) May 1, 2008 New Jersey

Don't kid yourself, they could absolutely do it if they wanted to.

7. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,931) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

[​IMG]

8. SlothB77

SlothB77 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2012 Virginia

oh. Like the DirectTV Settlers. Do we not provide you with this succulent jack rabbit pie, this delicious grey water soup, and a single lick of the family lolly every harvest moon?

WesMantooth, McMatt7 and JackHorzempa like this.
  9. jcoleMA66

jcoleMA66 Devotee (456) May 16, 2015 Massachusetts

Yeah, good question. I mean they've looked more milky than some of the other big IPAs out there that look like orange tangerine or pineapple juice. Not as appealing or appetizing as those IPAs is probably a better way to put it.

10. jcoleMA66

jcoleMA66 Devotee (456) May 16, 2015 Massachusetts

Yeah, like that....☺️

11. SlothB77

I've seen descriptions like 'gravy' and 'chicken broth' for when turbid beers look bad.

HorseheadsHophead and jcoleMA66 like this.
  12. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Poo-Bah (8,158) Dec 4, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I thought the same and they are bang on with the beer. I love Southern Tier (not this beer so much), but they do it right. I'm a fan for life. :slight_smile:

13. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Poo-Bah (8,158) Dec 4, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

It is. (That I know of.)

14. thuey

thuey Disciple (335) Nov 13, 2015 California

Don't you mean FW Pivo? Union Jack is their 7% IPA

JackHorzempa likes this.
  15. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (667) Mar 28, 2009 California

And all the home brewers rejoiced

16. CheapHysterics

CheapHysterics Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2009 Pennsylvania

Based on what I've seen others carrying out if local bottle shops it's going to be the summer of pseudo-beers masquerading as alcoholic sodas. Yuk.

utopiajane and dennis3951 like this.
  17. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

What NJ breweries are you speaking of?

18. JackHorzempa

Society

Whoops!:flushed:

My final answer is FW Pivo Pils.

Thanks for being my lifeline.:slight_smile:

Cheers!

HorseheadsHophead likes this.
  19. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,736) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

So you don't think Klimmish is smart enough or industrious enough to clarify his beer if he felt like doing so? You might e mail him and clue him in on his production error, he might appreciate that.

cavedave likes this.
  20. emtrexx

emtrexx Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2007 New Jersey

I had Bolero Snort OBV Creamsicle, Forgotten Boardwalk Pocket Trick, and Brix City 68' Ryot. I also had Cape May Brett'd Coastal which seemed pretty turbid as well but it was a dark restaurant.

dennis3951 likes this.
  21. SlothB77

the next step in the turbid beer craze is milkshake ipas. Picture a typical hazy IPA, add lactose to give it a creamy, milky flavor, add some vanilla for an ice cream flavor and maybe some oats to make it smooth. On the juicy side - strawberry, orange or cherry for a strawberry milkshake, orange creamsicle or cherry on top of the sundae. Boom milkshake ipa. see Tired Hands/ Omnipollo Milkshake IPA or Shilkmake.

dennis3951 likes this.
  22. JackHorzempa

Society

Tired Hands makes many different versions of their Milkshake IPAs: Lychee, Passion fruit, Kiwi, Peach, Blackberry,...

Yesterday they had a can release of Peach Milkshake IPA and Blackberry Milkshake IPA.

Cheers!

bushycook likes this.
  23. Florida_Hop_Head

Florida_Hop_Head Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2016 Florida

Hey if breweries can do it as well as New England can then I'm all for it. Bring on the milkshakes! :grinning:

StoutElk_92 likes this.
  24. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (2,712) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire
    Society

Bissell Brothers Reciprocal is my favorite beer milkshake. It looks like an Orange Sherbet smoothie.

WesMantooth and ThomasJ25 like this.
  25. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,195) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

I still think back to several years ago, when Heady was #1 beer in the world, and it said "Drink from the Can". That was done IMO because the majority of consumers would be turned off by the turbid look of a NE IPA (new at the time), and to get the top #1 rating, the Appearance part of the BA rating needed to be removed from the equation (i.e. drink from the can to protect against lower rated appearance if poured in a glass). That is just my theory about that.

emtrexx and Florida_Hop_Head like this.
  26. unhyped

unhyped Initiate (77) Feb 13, 2015 Oregon

Luckily that has been proven already; Aslin brewing, Cellarmaker and Great Notion are all brewing ipas as good as the ones in New England. Now we'll just have to wait and see how this develops.

ElijahSF and Florida_Hop_Head like this.
  27. Florida_Hop_Head

Florida_Hop_Head Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2016 Florida

Damn dude, mind = blown. It makes so much sense now.

28. JackHorzempa

Society

From the back of a Heady Topper can which I have right in front of me:

“Why do I recommend that you drink from the can?

Quite simply, to ensure a delightful, hop experience. The act of pouring it in a glass smells nice, but it releases the essential hop aromas that we have worked so hard to retain….”

It is entirely you choice whether to accept the rationale provided by John Kimmich.

Cheers!

[​IMG]

nc41 likes this.
  29. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (667) Mar 28, 2009 California

30. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2012 Pennsylvania

Is the pour over ice with simple syrup and a spirit a joke or serious? Because I may actually try that. I understand why many people on BA will not like this beer, but I really enjoyed 3 Citrus.

31. MonkeyBread

MonkeyBread Defender (615) Apr 26, 2014 Nevada
    Trader

I hope you are right. Can't stand the west coast style IPAs now. Too bone dry, weak mouthfeel, overwhelming bitterness. After tasting a NE IPA it's like I can't go back but unfortunately distribution isn't out here and the California breweries have fallen way behind the times.

32. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,238) Sep 15, 2014 New York
    Society

This will be the summer of Gose for me, as I just recently got hooked on sours.

TongoRad likes this.
  33. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Poo-Bah (2,515) Mar 7, 2013 Canada (QC)
    Society Trader

I imagine that I am exhibiting ignorance or something, but that absolutely doesn't look appetizing to me. It also doesn't look the same haze-wise as your Trilliums and your Treehouses. Maybe that's just me though...

34. JackHorzempa

Society

FWIW that particular beer does not look appetizing to me either; it looks like a glass of gravy to me.

Cheers!

35. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Poo-Bah (2,515) Mar 7, 2013 Canada (QC)
    Society Trader

That's the thing, I get why people don't like the way these types of IPAs look, but for the most part they all still look like beer. Hazy beer, maybe, but definitely beer.

36. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,876) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Lost Nation is available in NY, and it's stellar. Try some if you haven't already.

cavedave and HorseheadsHophead like this.
  37. JackHorzempa

Society

FWIW I have a spectrum of hazy -> a bit murky -> very murky/turbid.

When it gets to the far right of that spectrum like the Hoof Hearted beer that is pictured I become a non-fan of these beers.

To each their own in this matter.

Cheers!

meefmoff, TongoRad and TheDoctor like this.
  38. R3ason

R3ason Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2014 Colorado

Not gonna lie, a static picture such as this does make for a rather ghastly looking beer and probably doesn't do it justice. I find that holding it in-hand (not necessarily this particular one, never had it), being able to catch light through it around the edges, coupled with the citrusy, hoppy aroma will turn the same beer into a much more appealing beverage.

TheDoctor likes this.
  39. CassinoNorth

CassinoNorth Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2013 New Jersey

Seriously did you pour that hard as anything and take the picture?

40. JohnnyMc

JohnnyMc Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2012 Ohio

It's a Mocha IPA. Was revealed awhile back. Can't wait!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.