Summer of "turbid" IPAs?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bubseymour, Apr 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyMc

JohnnyMc Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2012 Ohio

Hoof beers (for the most part) have not been any crazier and more turbid looking than Trillium beers.

2. WillemHC

WillemHC Initiate (133) Jun 21, 2013 Utah

anyone see the most recent crooked stave "clean" release? I guess it's a thing.

3. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,238) Sep 15, 2014 New York
    Society

I just bought it last week, actually. It's good stuff.

TongoRad likes this.
  4. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,010) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Appearance to me is a factor of taste. I didn't start thinking turbid was a pretty look for a beer, in fact it was a bit off putting. My love of the look followed the realization that the beer tasted amazing. Now my salivary glands activate when I see a murky glass of Tree House beer the same way they do when I see a perfectly grilled steak.

Lotsa beers that look like clear golden liquid beauty, but what good is that if they don't taste nearly as beautiful? Is the look some kind of consolation prize? Look is the most overrated of the 5 rating divisions. I for one wouldn't complain if they disallowed it for inclusion in the number rating.

5. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,420) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Dave, you mean I can't just go on and on about that limpid pool of liquid gold? Man, that's some of my best stuff.

cavedave likes this.
  6. David_Deas

David_Deas Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2016 North Carolina

Thats the way it happens for a lot of people. I've known guys who hated the look of Heady Topper prior to tasting it. Now these same people love the look of the Heady Topper and any other hazy IPA they come across.

The comments themselves about haziness have always puzzled me because why would any rational human being give a care if the beer was cloudy or not? I guess its not rational to start with. I'm not that old but I've been drinking beer long enough to know that many of the best beers in the world are all unfiltered. The idea that a beer needs to be this bright, crystal clear brilliance in a glass comes from Budweiser advertisement campaigns that many people fell victim to mentally years ago.

cavedave, StoutElk_92 and bubseymour like this.
  7. Squire

Society Trader

David you have more faith in our fellow creatures than me to put the words 'rational' and 'human' in the same sentence.

8. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Poo-Bah (2,515) Mar 7, 2013 Canada (QC)
    Society Trader

Yep. I agree. I almost wonder if the picture has some weird filter on it because it looks so different than other hazy IPAs. I do think it says a lot that the people against these aren't using pictures of Heady or Julius to illustrate their point.

R3ason likes this.
  9. Squire

Society Trader

Some of the prose describing these beers is turbid.

10. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,736) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Love HT, enjoy. I drink most big IPAs from the can, I think exposure to air kinda dumbs down the profile. But that's me. I sincerely doubt Klimmish is hiding anything, everyone knows about the floaties and most don't care.

11. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,876) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

As I'm sure you know, Jack, I've conducted my own tests with Heady Topper and much prefer it with a decanted pour (leaving the residual 'sludge' in the can); the flavors and aroma are much cleaner and brighter that way. There are solid materials in there that do negatively impact the beer, so drinking from the can doesn't give me the best experience.

cavedave and tasterschoice62 like this.
  12. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Poo-Bah (2,098) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

My lord that sounds almost like a Mikes Hard lemonade or something

TongoRad likes this.
  13. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,931) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

That is an awesome hobby!!:slight_smile:
    And that is exactly what you as an individual should do.

Cheers!

TongoRad likes this.
  14. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,876) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Yup, and I would encourage others to try it for themselves, and take it from there. Not just with HT, but other 'unfiltered and unfined ' beers.

15. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,931) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I would encourage others to do the same since this exercise involves drinking beer and I am a Beer Advocate!:slight_smile:

Cheers!

TongoRad and cavedave like this.
  16. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Poo-Bah (1,579) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Society Trader

GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  17. Squire

Society Trader

With this encouragement I believe I will. Sun's over the yardarm by Eastern Time I believe.

18. KOP_Beer_OUtlet

KOP_Beer_OUtlet Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2013 Pennsylvania

5 County Phila area release of Fatheads has been pushed back to May...

drtth and JackHorzempa like this.
  19. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Poo-Bah (8,158) Dec 4, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

They nailed the description and would definitely be best in a wine glass over ice. As much as I didn't like that "beer", I just may try that as well when the weather warms up!! :grimacing:! (More curious than anything.)

Shmuffalo likes this.
  20. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2012 Pennsylvania

Yeah, totally. I don't know how it'll taste, but it sounds like a good drink to have in the sun in the coming months.

I'm not ashamed to say that I've added a splash of OJ/Grapefruit juice to old IPAs to make a refreshing summer beer in the past.

jzeilinger likes this.
  21. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,819) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Yeah, crooked stave jumped on the neipa bandwagon on friday. It is the first clean beer they have ever brewed.

22. Grindelvasdrum

Grindelvasdrum Initiate (0) Aug 9, 2015 Kentucky

Hope you're right, sounds wonderful!

23. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (3,111) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

Amen brother. Great description.

VABA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.