Summer Planning - what places outside Bamberg - Bayreuth

Discussion in 'Germany' started by biermark, Feb 21, 2017.

1. biermark

biermark Initiate (59) Sep 9, 2008 South Carolina

I'm working on this year trip in the Bamberg, Bayreuth area. We've been to Bamberg several times (always good) and want to try some of the smaller places out in the country.

Please suggest a favorite place or two and what to have there.

Pix promised as usual in my AAR.

2. Lurchus

Lurchus Aspirant (247) Jan 19, 2014 Germany

My personal favorite places in the Bayreuth area:

Waischenfeld. Brauerei Heckel is there. No food, you have to bring your own(which is no problem, given the presence of bakerys and butchers in the town). Very oldschool, rustic atmosphere, maybe not for everyone. What to have there? Ask for a beer. And bring some empty vessel to have it filled there to take away, anything will do, and you won't find this excelent beverage anywhere else. A village further, you'll find Nankendorf with Schroll Bräu, also pretty good place.. Krug Bräu Breitenlesau is also close, but nothing compares to Heckel.

Pegnitz. Brauerei Gradl in Leups and Brauerei Herold in Büchenbacher. Both a village apart, both make excellent beers:wink: What to have? At Gradl, ask for a beer. At Herold, ask for a beer and a Brotzeit and/or take some bread away- they belong to a dying breed in the area, called "Beck'n Brauer", which means they brew as well as bake. This practice used to be very common, and the bread is very good.

Bayreuth itself:
    Mann's Bräu, in the centre. Be sure to have a Dunkles or two. If you like to visit something a bit outside the centre, the son of the Mann's landlord runs the Becher brewery,also has a pretty good, very oldschool pub...If you ask me, have a Original there, from bayerischer Anstich. A very hearty,amber lager..

#2 Lurchus, Feb 21, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    biermark, jonb5, drtth and 1 other person like this.
  3. jonb5

jonb5 Meyvn (1,033) May 11, 2010 United Kingdom (England)

Merkendorf where Wagner and Hummel are across the road from each other.

Brauerei Kraus in Hirschaid has a very nice beer garden.

Brauerei Hölzlein in Lohndorf is also a really nice place to sit outside drinking beer but they close in August.

4. herrburgess

herrburgess Meyvn (1,046) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Industry Beer Trader

For Bamberg I generally recommend a loop out to the west where you hit Reundorf and the Schmausenkeller; then the rustic, wacky Herrnsdorf and Brauerei Barnikel (with its Rauchbier and its imposing twin sisters running the place); then Hirschaid (as recommended above).

Going (south)east I recommend Rossdorf am Forst with its excellent, quaint Felsenkeller; then Greisskeller; then dinner at Wernsdorf and Gasthaus Schiller, which serves awesome pork shoulder and good, fresh St Georgenbrau Kellerbier.

There are numerous other such loops in any direction, but those are my go-tos

5. spartan1979

spartan1979 Disciple (305) Dec 29, 2005 Missouri

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  6. Lurchus

The problem is..there are such too many excellent places..
    And I totally forgott that you asked specifically about the summer and places to hang out outside in nice weather, so I have to add two more for the Bayreuth area, sry:

Held Bräu Oberailsfeld. Always felt like holiday for me when I was there...nice beer garden, excellent, quite hoppy beers, friendly atmosphere, and scienic view of what makes the fränkische Schweiz famous,plus, Pottenstein is basically right around the corner.

And, kinda just outside of Bayreuth:
    Auf der Theta. Maybe my favorite Biergarten. The beer is a Kellerbier brewed by Brauerei Reichold, Aufseß, which is ok, but you do not only go there for the beer. You go there for the atmosphere. Pictures don't do it justice, but give a glimpse of the magic that awaits you there:
    [​IMG]

We hang out often there in large groups. Good, simple food, too. Very pleasant expierence...

jonb5, spartan1979 and herrburgess like this.
  7. spartan1979

We had some Brauerei Reichold biers at the Brauerei in 2015 and we thought they were very good. But your setting looks better!

herrburgess likes this.
  8. jonb5

Brauerei Hönig in Litzendorf is somewhere else you get good beer and a nice setting.

Basically, it's pretty hard to go wrong unless the place you go to happens to be closed, which is always a possibility.

Lurchus and herrburgess like this.
  9. Lurchus

I love Reichold beers. The whole Aufseß Area is a very nice place to be,too...
    At Reichold, you will get the full range though;Lager,Dunkles, Weizen, Bock when it has Season, Zwickl...at Theta, you basically only get a Kellerbier that kind of resembles Reicholds Zwickl. Sometimes a Bock. Thats it. But its a totally different experience, otherworldly, with self-service beer...

biermark and herrburgess like this.
  10. herrburgess

Industry Beer Trader

How about Kathi Braeu? Unusual and delicious dark lager in a very unique setting (up the mountain from Hoenig or just up the road from Aufsess). Can be combined with the other Aufsess breweries.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Lurchus

Usually an excellent choice... But I have been there once during the easter days und it was TOTALLY overrun by motorbiker tourists.......you know the empty space with gravel in front of the brewery? Totally PACKED with motorbikes. way to full for me to enjoy it, and strange atmosphere, and since then I've never been there again...though I do love the beer. All Aufseß Biere are good, though..

herrburgess likes this.
  12. biermark

Thank you for the detailed responses. We will be there the last week of Juni. I will add these to my map and work on a tour.

I had a suggestion of Haberstumpf in Trebgast. As a weiss bier fan I have been planning on Maisel.

13. biermark

14. Lurchus

Yeah, I've walked and cycled between these breweries, having a beer or two in each,quite often. though Gradl and Herold are my favorites.
    Kurzdörfer used to have quality problems, their Dunkles in particular sometimes tasting burnt and or sour, but when in good condition,it's tasty.
    Übelhack has a very nice Biergarten, but sadly it is close to the Autobahn...you don't see it, but you can hear it a bit...... Anyway, all of those places are worth a visit for sure..

#14 Lurchus, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  15. spartan1979

Both Kathi-Brau and Reichold are on the Brauereienweg. It's an eight mile hike that takes in the 4 breweries in Aufsess. We did it on a weekday so while there were bikers at Kathi-Brau, it wasn't overrun. They seem to cater to the bikers. They even have a helmet washing station.[​IMG]

The only problem with this hike is that it's difficult to get there from Bamberg by public transportation. We ended up spending the night at one of the breweries.

biermark, herrburgess and Lurchus like this.
  16. Lurchus

Wow, haven't seen that, but I remember the first time I was there (in the winter, totally empty), I wondered why they had a "Leicht Bier" with reduced alcohol content. After I saw the hordes of bikers, I understood that.

17. spartan1979

18. cu29

cu29 Initiate (156) Sep 26, 2005 Wisconsin

If you are in Bayreuth, Becher is worth a stop. Very small, very local. The beer is just ok. But you might meet some colorful locals. The female server and her brother are Ami. I've had a good time there.

And Maisel's in Bayreuth is a must. No question.

https://www.maisel.com/bier_erlebnis_welt/bier_erlebnis_welt_5.html

http://www.becherbraeu.de/gasthaus.php

Also mentioned was Haberstumpf in Trebgast. I know the female brewer. So I say go there!
    You'll be treated great. And the view from the brewery beer garden is spectacular. Its a bit of an uphill hike from the train station, but the walk through the little picturesque town is nice.

http://www.brauerei-haberstumpf.de/bier.htm

19. jonb5

Apparently, it's one of the most popular biker destinations in the whole of Germany.

When the bikers turn up, normal cars aren't welcome, but anyone in a vintage American Old Timer would probably be OK.

20. biermark

Found on youtube:

21. herrburgess

Industry Beer Trader

You know what would make that beer and entire experience and tradition better? A bunch of American hops!

Seriously, though...so awesome. Thanks for posting.

steveh likes this.
  22. FrankenBier

FrankenBier Initiate (184) Feb 4, 2003 California

You could always stay in Bamberg and rent a bicycle and visit many of the breweries mentioned in the thread (probably not all unless you have a lot of time :slight_smile: ) -- Or do what I do and bring my trusty Bike Friday with me. The bike paths are generally well marked and (unless they are specifically mountain bike trails) either paved or a well kept crushed limestone. You can follow the Main or the Regnitz and have a fairly flat route or head east into the Fränkische Schewiz and tackle some hills. With a little planning you can ride out until you feel tired and then take the train back.

Even better, drivers are generally courteous towards cyclists. On my first bike trip (with my then 75 year old father) we got slightly lost and wound up on a two lane highway. At one point there was a transport coming the other direction and I could see a big black Mercedes overtaking us at speed. I figured we were done for. But the Mercedes stopped, let the transport go by and then slowly passed us, giving us a friendly wave.

I've already booked my beer and bike trip for August (not the best time to go because many breweries close).

And I'm sure you could do something similar near Bayreuth or for that matter any decent sized town. I met a guy who uses Forchheim as his base, for example.

spartan1979 likes this.
  23. herrburgess

Industry Beer Trader

You catch in the video that a Mass costs 3,60€?

24. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,390) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

Yes.

25. Lurchus

I've never seen anyone drinking a Maß there, only seidlas. :wink:

26. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,062) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

Hurt me. It's just too bad the cost of the plane ticket tips the scale. :wink:

27. herrburgess

Industry Beer Trader

Been some excellent specials going through Iceland...even in the summer. R/T tickets for a little over $500.

28. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,062) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

If you're offering, I'm obliging! :grinning:

herrburgess likes this.
  29. Bierman9

Bierman9 Poo-Bah (4,344) Dec 20, 2001 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

I booked BOS-AMS rt on Delta 2 weeks ago for 18SEP-03OCT for $599....

Holland and Belgium, to Germany, then back to Holland....

Prosit!

30. Bierman9

Bierman9 Poo-Bah (4,344) Dec 20, 2001 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

I don't think I ever posted a synopsis of last year's trip.... if I get a slow day I will try to whip up a report...

Prosit

yemenmocha and gavinbrooksbank like this.
  31. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poo-Bah (2,482) Jun 18, 2002 Arizona

Please share the synopsis. I’m hoping to visit Franconia this year

32. yemenmocha

Appreciate any helpful information on this thread topic since it is already going with some helpful suggestions. Thanks to @herrburgess for getting me started on this.

Should I make Bamberg my home base and drive daily? (will have a DD) Or are there some of these towns with a place to stay for the night that I should not miss? Have about 9-10 days. How many days should I spend in Bamberg if I truly want to hit a good amount of the ones below?

Wish list is starting to look like:

Aufsess
    Pottenstein (spend night?)
    Goessweinstein
    Ebermannstadt
    Forcheim (spend night?)

Reundorf
    Herrnsdorf
    Hirschaid

Rossdorf am Forst

Go farther to

Bayreuth?
    Kulmbach?
    Erlangen?

General tourism for the family is a plus at any suggestions, especially if it is scenic at the biergarten.

herrburgess likes this.
  33. papagobrewing

papagobrewing Initiate (149) Sep 8, 2009 Arizona

That's pretty ambitious hitting all those places. You may be able to hit those places in as little as 6 days but 7-8 days is probably better if you want to spend any time in those towns, you will also need a minimum of 2-3 days just for Bamberg. I wouldn't spend to many nights outside of Bamberg as I think it's better to just have one home base and not have to hassle with packing/unpacking in different towns. You may also be able to get a better deal on vrbo/airbnb sites for a week long rental. If you do decide to stay in other towns I would advise either Bayreuth or Erlangen over Kulmbach.

You may also want to consider going out to Zoigl country one day for Zoiglbier since you have a car. It's about an hour and a half drive from Bamberg and is unique since you can only get the beer in those 5 towns, http://zoiglbier.de/an-introduction-to-the-tradition-of-zoigl-beer/

Another recommendation would be to take the train to Pilsen for a tour of P.U. You probably wont be able to take your rental car to Czech and the brewery is close to the train station. A day trip would be doable but tough because of the bus/train travel time but spending the night in Pilsen is a fun time. Lots of good bars there and you get to experience a different country.

bushycook and yemenmocha like this.
  34. yemenmocha

Thank you for the suggestions. I am tempted by the Pilsen trip!

35. herrburgess

Industry Beer Trader

Pilsen can be nice...but drive is a not. Beer and prices (and hot dogs) good. Still, would stick to Franconia

36. jonb5

Hirschaid would be a good base, it’s a short train ride to Bamberg and handily placed if you want to go to Forcheim, Ebermannstadt or Nuremberg.

yemenmocha likes this.
  37. hopfenunmaltz

Last Sept. we spent 8 nights in Bamberg. We did the following day trips. went to Memmelsdorf via bus to see Seehaus and a beer at Drei Kronnen afterwards. Train to Forcheim and the Kellerwald. Train to Buttenheim and the St. Georgian Brau Biergarten. The other days were just wandering around Bamberg and going to favorites.

We went to Pilsen and PU via rail from Regensburg the year before. It was a long day, but doable. Book your English tour online beforehand.

Depending on the time of year you can run into closures, even though the website and Facebook page say they should be open. We were there just after the Summer tourist season. We termed it the dreaded handwritten note on the door which happened at Keesmann, Klosterbräu, Torschuster, and Kraus.

38. bushycook

bushycook Aspirant (239) Jan 31, 2011 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Why can't they drive their rental to C.R.?

39. papagobrewing

papagobrewing Initiate (149) Sep 8, 2009 Arizona

My experience has been when renting a car in Germany was that we were told we couldn't drive to any of the Eastern European countries including Czech and Poland because of theft. Reading online I think that still stands for any of the nicer cars but that some companies allow you to take their low end cars over there now.

bushycook, yemenmocha and herrburgess like this.
  40. hopfenunmaltz

Theft is correct. When I worked in Germany my company car insurance was not valid in the Czech Repiblic,and everyone was instructed not to drive there. That last part might be different now.