Summit 21 IPA - "new" spring seasonal

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by MNAle, Jan 15, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HammsMeASAP

HammsMeASAP Pundit (907) Jun 14, 2012 Minnesota

An IPA? Cool, there aren't enough of those everywhere already.

LittleGus likes this.
  2. morimech

morimech Grand Pooh-Bah (3,779) Nov 6, 2006 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society

It is actually a pretty good IPA. Almost did not buy a 6-pack because it stated "juicy" on the packaging. I think I will be buying more in the future.

LittleGus likes this.
  3. bsp77

bsp77 Pooh-Bah (2,185) Apr 27, 2008 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society

Twenty One is quite good, but getting rid of Maibock other than in a 24-pack variety box simply sucks ass. And Utepils isn't canning Springbock like they did last year either.

Anyone had Beaver Island's Maibock? Might have to try that now.

Also, Hofbrau Maibock is tasty, affordable and should be out in a month or so.

LittleGus likes this.
  4. gudbrande

gudbrande Pundit (918) Jul 10, 2009 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Damn. That was a highlight for me last year. Anyone remember if they were doing growler fills of it last year?

5. bsp77

Pooh-Bah Society

You will be able to get growlers this year

gudbrande likes this.
  6. MNAle

MNAle Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

The Summit variety boxes I've bought in the past have all been 12 packs. I wonder why this one is 24... the picture only shows 3 beers, so does that mean it contains 8 of each?

Also, I bought a 6 pack of Twenty One.... it IS quite tasty!

I also see they are putting Twenty One in their IPA 12-pack, along with Sága and Slugfest, and a new box-exclusive IPA - Elderflower.

#26 MNAle, Jan 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  7. bsp77

Pooh-Bah Society

Yeah, it is one of the Go Box packs which are 3 beers of 8 each.

And I just bought the IPA box today on my lunch break, and I will try the Elderflower tonight. I already had bought a 6-pack of Twenty One, but it is really good so I don't mind the extras now. And I always enjoy Saga. I feel Summit excels at easy drinking yet flavorful IPAs. They never blow your socks off, but always on point.

edbeered and MNAle like this.
  8. ZAP

ZAP Grand Pooh-Bah (3,964) Dec 1, 2001 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Beaver Island usually does well in competitions. I really like it. Malty. Had a few cans with carbonation issues last year but that isn't the beers fault I don't think.

bsp77 likes this.
  9. islay

islay Savant (1,187) Jan 6, 2008 Minnesota

I'm drinking Twenty-One tonight, and it's coming pretty close to blowing my socks off. It's really good. It's not juicy at all, contra the box's claim (but that's de rigueur in contemporary IPA marketing), but rather a quite bitter, malty, unapologetically Midwest IPA. I think it's one of the best Minnesota-made IPAs to hit liquor stores in years and a strong contender for the best beer Summit ever has produced.

Summit always has been 5 to 10 years behind the trends, and, in 2020, that makes it one of the best breweries in the state. I do shudder to think of the neon pink, cartoon-covered 16-ounce cans of Sabro/Cashmere/Lotus-cryo-double-dry-hopped passionfruit mango guava imperial milkshake Dreamsicle Starburst tropical kettle sour hazy IPA that it'll be pushing in 2027.

LittleGus, edbeered, dele and 5 others like this.
  10. JMN44

JMN44 Pundit (775) Sep 19, 2013 Minnesota

Can someone explain to me why Summit would produce a variety pack with 24 cans with only 3 different kinds of beers (that you can also buy individually in 6 packs)? If you don't like one you have 7 more cans. Do variety packs sell so well for parties that buyers don't really care of the mix?

11. MNAle

:grin::grin::grin:

12. MNAle

Price per oz marketing for parties, etc, I would guess.

13. bsp77

Pooh-Bah Society

Yeah, they market it as for parties. And oftentimes one of the three is exclusive to the box. Maibock... sniff sniff

14. cheeseheadinMinneapolis

cheeseheadinMinneapolis Pooh-Bah (1,687) Sep 20, 2017 Wisconsin
    Pooh-Bah Society

Fulton is putting there new maibock in the Volume 4 sampler 12 pack

15. HawkEye19

HawkEye19 Devotee (389) Jun 15, 2006 Minnesota

I'll be happy once I find one of these cases. Maybe two, since I need to give the Maibock a proper sendoff.

Chaz likes this.
  16. Chaz

Chaz Grand Pooh-Bah (3,544) Feb 3, 2002 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Confirmed.

ISO: 8 cans of Summit Maibock.
    FT: Hazebois, bro.

edbeered and mjryan like this.
  17. ZAP

ZAP Grand Pooh-Bah (3,964) Dec 1, 2001 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Just found Lakefront Maibock. Not terrible but not good either. Lacks the clean lager look and tastes muddled as well. Almost like a honey ale or something...

18. cheeseheadinMinneapolis

cheeseheadinMinneapolis Pooh-Bah (1,687) Sep 20, 2017 Wisconsin
    Pooh-Bah Society

back to bock beers. I still haven't seen the Summit 24 pack with Maibock anywhere.

Earth Rider is having a bock fest, With three bock beers of there own????
    https://www.facebook.com/events/earth-rider-brewery/earth-rider-bock-fest/876248749492477/

Chicones in Hudson has Sprecher Dopplebock in stock, And just one 6 pack of Capital Dark Dopplebock. As of 2/16/2020 at 4:30 pm

As of friday night 2/14/20 Northbound Brew pub still had Eisbock on tap, plus there Czech dark lager

#38 cheeseheadinMinneapolis, Feb 17, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    JMN44 likes this.
  19. bkennealy

bkennealy Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2015 Minnesota

Summit's 24-pack variety boxes are sold at big-box/membership stores like Costco and Sam's Club. There's also a Beer Finder on Summit's website.

20. HawkEye19

HawkEye19 Devotee (389) Jun 15, 2006 Minnesota

Which lets you search for "Go Box". There's been two (Maibock containing one, Cranky Woodsman containing one), and the beer finder doesn't differentiate between the two.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.