Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Sunk King releases reserve cans of The Velvet Fog and Bourbon Barrel Johan the Barleywine

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Todd, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Todd

Todd Founder
    Staff Member Fest Crew Subscriber Beer Trader

Indianapolis, Ind. (January 18, 2013) – Sun King Brewing Company will release two beers in the new King's Reserve can on January 28th. The King's Reserve is a new 16 oz. resealable Alumi-Tek can that is manufactured by Ball Corporation in Monticello, IN. Sun King and Colorado's Oskar Blues pioneered the use of this vessel last year with the release of Chaka and The Deuce.

"We are excited to share two very special, award winning beers in a brand new package! Batch 333: The Velvet Fog was a 2012 World Beer Cup Gold Medal Winner in the Belgian-style Dark Strong Ale category, and Bourbon Barrel Johan was a 2011 Great American Beer Festival Silver Medal Winner in the Barrel Aged Strong Beer category." said Sun King owner/brewer Clay Robinson.

Johan the Barleywine was the first batch of beer produced at Sun King on July 1, 2009, a small portion of which was placed in Bourbon barrels to age. This process imparts even more depth of character to the beer, allowing it to pick up flavor from the Bourbon as well as the oak. There are only 250 cans of Bourbon Barrel Johan available for $25.00 per can with a limit of one per person. Half of the allotment will be available for online reservations beginning January 21st at 12:00 PM (EST) and the other half will be available in the Tasting Room on January 28th. Online reservations will have one week to pick up their beer and whatever is not picked up will be made available to the general public on February 4th.

http://skbjohanreservations2013.eventbrite.com

Batch 333: The Velvet Fog will also be released on January 28th and will be available in liquor stores throughout central Indiana, as well as at the brewery. The Velvet Fog is a Belgian-style Quadruple that was named one of Draft Magazine's 'Top 25 Beers of 2012' in addition to the aforementioned World Beer Cup® Medal. Velvet Fog will be sold in two packs for a suggested retail of $17.50.

For more information on these releases, including which liquor stores they will be available at, please follow us on Facebook or Twitter (@SunKingBrewing).

About Sun King Brewing Company
    Sun King Brewing Company is the brainchild of Dave Colt and Clay Robinson. With the help of family and friends– Omar Robinson, Andy Fagg and Steve Koers–the first keg of Sun King beer rolled out the door for delivery in July 2009. Now available on tap and in cans at hundreds of locations around central Indiana, Sun King has grown into the second-largest beer brewer in the state of Indiana. The company's commitment to handcrafted seasonal and specialty beers has been rewarded with multiple medals at the Indiana Brewers Cup, Great American Beer Festival and World Beer Cup competitions. Visit http://www.sunkingbrewing.com for more information.

###

2. myersk27

Beer Trader

i just want to know if the BA Johan can will be dipped in wax.....

3. Tnudish

$25/can!?!?!?!?! Get the fuck outta here. That bitch better atleast be a tall boy.

claaark13, stfun37, thetomG and 2 others like this.
  4. denimdemon

Beer Trader

16 oz resealable can, and your wallet turns blue when you buy it.

stfun37, Skye1024, crushedvol and 2 others like this.
  5. CWBlues

Beer Trader

I was actually expecting $30.

6. maximum12

Beer Trader

$25/can? Cue the music for the end times.

Selling at that price takes some serious nads. Wow.

7. theGroove

Sun King learning from their big brother in Munster.

gpawned, MacJenkins and cadizkyguy like this.
  8. Tnudish

I don't know that I have ever seen a de sealable can...miracles, how do they work?

gpawned likes this.
  9. TheodorHerzl

Beer Trader

I was too. johan was 15 non barrel aged. To each his own though. They won't have any trouble blowing through it I'm sure.

10. Bay01

Enjoy this one Indiana, Chicago will be drinking your Sun King milkshake come February.

CLCardinal84 likes this.
  11. CLCardinal84

Beer Trader

Just saw Vav post this news. Really pumped about this because Osiris is freaking awesome and having that accessible makes me :D

12. dsal89

Wow..Chicago will be getting Sun King stuff? Only Chicago or the surrounding parts as well?

13. JohnfromPurdue

Beer Trader

So $25 for a 16oz can. Convert that to a bomber at 22oz, it would cost $34.38. Converting it to a 750ml, it would cost $39.69. I'm sorry but Sun King doesn't have the kind of pedigree that would convince me to buy a can at this price as I am continually underwhelmed by their stuff.

gpawned, stfun37, MacJenkins and 5 others like this.
  14. travMI13

Beer Trader

And people think FFF special releases and Founders Bolt Cutter were overpriced. This is really cute.

15. mdomask

Beer Trader

That's awesome, except for the whole Sun King being really mediocre thing.

When it comes to Indianapolis brewers, Flat 12 and Bierworks are where it's at.

16. CWBlues

Beer Trader

Maybe they'll send some of their hailed award winners up your way. God knows we never see them.

Rempo and eyeenjoybeer like this.
  17. TheodorHerzl

Beer Trader

Doubtful when you realize their cream ale is 3 bucks more than Half Acre daisy cutter.

crushedvol likes this.
  18. myersk27

Beer Trader

Osiris is a decent pale ale, i can drink that any time. Wee Mac and Cream Ale are just "meh" for me. Some of their seasonals and special releases are really hit or miss for me. Grapefruit Jungle is a hit, BA Octoberfest and Pappy Maibock are huge messes of beers. As a whole, I like Flat 12 more because they consistently have beers that are more hit than miss for me, and Half Cycle is just a filthy good beer.

I think once SK is more available to more people, people will start to see that they are more a product of their fantastic marketing. The beer that will hit markets is just ok.

19. mdomask

Beer Trader

Kiwi^2 Hef was great. Went through a growler of that thing in an evening last year.

jmarsh123 and CWBlues like this.
  20. denimdemon

Beer Trader

Sun King has a lot of "right place/right time" going for it in Indy. They hit the market here right as the public was really getting interested in the buzzword "local" tagged to shopping, drinking, food/agriculture and all related spending, whatever. They were basically the first Indy brewery in a long time to both package beer and that wasn't a corporate/chain entity. They opened right on the cusp of the current "boom" in microbreweries. They've marketed well (their art is leaps and bounds better than any other Indy beer-related entity), they've paired with tons of local organizations, they've gotten themselves notoriety that way. For the beer geek segment, they had a great showing at GABF in 2011 which created buzz on here. So, basically, every other Indy brewer is playing catch-up right now whether anyone wants to admit it or not.

I like many other brewers around town, but Osiris is a go-to beer for me (as are Flat12's Pogue's Run and Fountain Square's Workingman Pils) and one I'd recommend to anyone visiting Indy to get an idea of our great beers. It's one of the most consistent locals...I've never had a bad pint. The growler fills for $5 on Friday are a great deal. I also like Wee Mac. I'd agree that the seasonals and one-offs can be hit or miss - I generally will order a pint somewhere when they come around, but don't do growler fills and only pick up the cans if I want to toss in an interesting extra in a trade.

All that textual diarrhea spilled, I sure as hell can't defend their pricing on these. But the simple fact of the matter remains that because they've positioned themselves as they have and have so many local fans that like to "drink local" or "support craft beer" (but aren't the BA-type), these will sell quickly. It'll continue. I'm guessing the brand won't find a huge amount of success in the Chicago market, just like Finch's has been met with a bland reception here.

I remember being grouchy when Upland's sours jumped from $15 to $20 (and the non-fruited experiments of Sour Reserve and Gilgamesh at $25). Barrel-aged Johan the Barleywine in a sporty aluminum can for $25 brings new levels of "you've gotta be fist-f#ckin' me!" But I guess this is just a continuation of a trend that sucks and will price those of us that are just regular ol' working stiffs with other monetary obligations/bills/lives/hobbies out of the game...I'm still waiting for the backlash.

Naptown25rs, Skye1024, adamdd and 5 others like this.
  21. mdomask

Beer Trader

The Finch's comparison sounds pretty spot-on.

I'm guessing we're going to see stuff continue pushing its way upmarket. GI is raising the price on their Bourbon County line stuff, and they've stated they want to break into the wine market with their Belgians. The Bruery's Reserve Society operates like a wine club and charges premium prices. So, these high prices are pretty much here to stay, since we all seem to pay them.

And, to be fair, barrel-aged stuff takes a lot of time, storage, and expertise, and it obviously risks infection and losing whole batches.

There's plenty of cheap, great non-barrel aged stuff out there, though. And the Indy breweries seem to all have really nice prices on growler fills for good stuff. So, I'm not too worried about getting priced out on anything except special releases.

22. denimdemon

Beer Trader

Yeah, I really can't disagree with anything you said there. For me, as the trend continues, it's probably going to be more about "picking my battles" than the ever-present ticker instinct to try to catch 'em all. And even as I complain about prices, I also still get excited at brewing innovation and brands that push stylistic envelopes. Hard to have one's cake and eat it too.

23. C2H5

Beer Trader

24. Shagtastic

Fantastic, another city that gets to feel the disappointment of sun king and their prices!

eyeenjoybeer, myersk27 and mdomask like this.
  25. 4DAloveofSTOUT

Beer Trader

THIS! End there here...

26. raymo55

Beer Trader

These Indiana prices are getting to be a fucking joke!

27. jmarsh123

Beer Trader

Kiwi Hef was one of my favorite brews of 2012 and inspired 2 homebrew clone batches. Really hope they do that again.

While I prefer Flat12, Sun King has great marketing and were there first. I've had many solid beers from there, but also some disappointments. I'm hoping they make good sours when that program gets ramped up. With Upland not releasing as much lately, I'm getting low on local sours.

28. robwestcott

Beer Trader

ok, do this.

get a nice clean tulip glass, turn the lights down low, put on music or a ball game or whatever you typically look up at when you're on the barstool down the street and then give yourself 4x 4oz pours @ 5$ each, then give yourself a 5$ tip and call it even.

just sayin.

aasher and dsal89 like this.
  29. Lukafer

When other breweries charge a shitload for a less labor intensive, storage consuming beer it seems people always go to the "free market, don't buy it, entitled argument". Not this time. Right on Indianapolis (slow clap).

denimdemon likes this.
  30. bozodogbreath

Beer Trader

It's coming to NWI, too.

31. dsal89

well...crap. Awesome!

32. footballnbeer

While the price of BA Yohan is steep they will sell. I'm more pumped about Velvet Fog being released. That beer is fantastic as are most of SK's barrel aged beers. Problem is most people don't get to try them unless they are at a Tap takeover or certain beer festivals. Good thing about the Velvet Fog release and Kings Reserve series is more people will get the opportunity to try these specialty beers that have been previously well received. Their seasonal and one off IPAs are also fantastic and they also make good lagers. I much prefer SK and Bier over Flat 12 as both are much more consistent and their variety is much better.

aasher likes this.
  33. weirdbeer

Looks like this is how they will be supplying Chicago.
    http://www.indystar.com/article/201...lans-bigger-kingdom-Indy-adding-brewery-staff

I would agree with everything denimdemon has opined, and would add that SunKing has introduced those that wouldn't even think about anything but a macro to consider a local alternative. Cream Ale is certainly nothing exciting for us BAs, but a good intro to a "lite" drinker who may be beer curious.

34. heliosphann

This is the reason why I refused to buy Sun King years ago. Well that and they mostly brew mediocre beer. What a fucking joke they've become.

35. aasher

Beer Trader

I thought the BA Oktoberfest was awesome. That's why I suggested that they brew it again for March and instead of calling it Oktoberfest, call it BA Marzen.

36. aasher

Beer Trader

Velvet Fog is awesome, awesome.

37. Centennial

[​IMG]

gpawned likes this.
  38. myersk27

Beer Trader

to be fair, I'm not a huge fan of the style in the first place....I had hoped that barrel aging it would make it better for me, but it did the opposite. just didn't like it at all.

agree on Velvet Fog, it's incredibly good. And again it's a style I don't normally get on board with, but that one is one I will want to buy....

39. myersk27

Beer Trader

I wish they'd release Pappy Van Muckle....

robwestcott, MSandahl23 and antzman like this.
  40. CWBlues

Beer Trader

I do like the style, but don't really care for Sun King's version of it. The BA version didn't do anything for me, either.

I feel like I'm one of the few that hasn't tried Velvet Fog. I'm actually pretty excited about this one.

myersk27 likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe