1. Introducing the Respect Beer® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to ad-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Super Bowl 2019 Food & Beer Pairings

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Troutbeerbum, Feb 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Troutbeerbum

Troutbeerbum Initiate (162) Dec 5, 2016 Maine

I'm not watching the Superbowl. Not into sports period. But I do know lots of folks go all out with food, and that's a good thing. Since the beer and food section has been discontinued, I thought this might be a good place to see what folks were making that go well with beer, no matter the occasion.

2. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,708) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Sausage and cheese dip using Wiz using hot sausage and hot Rotelle. Chicken poppers with different dunking sauces and a veg dtray with dip. Simple stuff. No party, I don’t do parties, beer to be seen. I’m craving a fresh Hop Devil and there’s none here to be had, but perhaps a simple Stone IPA if it’s fresh

3. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Meyvn (1,264) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Pretty standard fare here....everything goes well with beer:

Spinach & Artichoke Dip
    Crab Dip
    Onion Dip
    Pizza Rolls
    Mini Corn Dogs

And a 12 pack of SNPA for myself.

4. pjbear05

pjbear05 Initiate (165) May 28, 2008 Florida

Botana; layered from the bottom, tortilla chips, seasoned and browned ground beef, chilies, jack/cheddar cheese. Salsa and sour cream for garnish. Hit TW yesterday to beat the crowds, 2 each Modelo Negra, GLBC Dortmumder Gold, and Bell's Amber Ale.

5. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (687) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Hoagies and wings, hot and mild. Chips,salsa and other crunchy snacks.

Picked up All Day 15 packs for $13.99 canned mid January. I also got Goose Pils and IPA for $11.99.

I have almost no interest in this game so it will be more hanging with friends. Working the next day so nothing crazy.

Enjoy

Beersnob724 and Troutbeerbum like this.
  6. hopsputin

hopsputin Meyvn (1,435) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey

Food will probably be wings, chili, some spinach dip w/ some chips & salsa. some little pickies as well.

I got some Nugget Nectar, Hofbrau, Hopslam & Industrial Arts in the fridge. I'm also hoping that people will help me kick this keg of Brawler that I've had since October. Only having a few people over though, so that's wishful thinking :slight_smile:

I hate the pats, so this will not be an enjoyable game. The mrs is a pats fan, so I'll have to keep the hatred in check :stuck_out_tongue:

7. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,856) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Best of luck to you here; this requires a lot of willpower!!

Cheers!

mikeinportc, PatrickCT and hopsputin like this.
  8. TrojanRB

Society Trader

Sounds tasty, but had never heard of if before. Is it baked and served warm, or is it more like nachos or chilaquiles?

Troutbeerbum likes this.
  9. surfcaster

surfcaster Crusader (755) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Smoked wings and ribs on the egg.
    Homemade salsa verde

Keep the ABV down--certainly for the first half
    -Urquell
    -then some Revision IPA and some Fort Point PA from the source.

10. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,652) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Catering for a party tonite, so hoping I have leftovers for the game, if not will have to throw something else together, the plan is
    Tacos al Pastor
    Salsa Verde
    Black Bean soup
    Queso
    Guacamole
    Roasted red pepper and black bean dip
    Beer
    Resilience, Table and some Yellow Rose in the fridge
    Actually have no horse in this game, I hope the commercials are good

11. TrojanRB

Society Trader

On the egg do you do your wings direct or indirect?

12. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (6,844) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

I am a solid sports fan, but know when a game is just a game...

more so I just can't follow the NFL anymore...

But as for food, sure it's an excuse for a good party beer of course included.

I love a good batch of thai wings, fun and easy to whip up!!

13. Jasonja1474

Jasonja1474 Initiate (53) Oct 15, 2018 Tennessee
    Trader

mozzarella cheese dip with churizo and pizza. The rest of the food is surprise by what other people bring.
    Managed to get some heady topper and focal banger in on a earlier trade so i will be enjoying this during the game. cheers

14. BeardedWalrus

BeardedWalrus Aspirant (222) Jun 5, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

Going to make some burger wraps. Beef with coleslaw, sauteed onions, tomatoes, and spicy mustard. Will be drinking mostly Lagunitas undercover ale.

mikeinportc and Troutbeerbum like this.
  15. eppCOS

eppCOS Champion (801) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Nice... but too busy this weekend with work. Doritos, light sour cream to dip, a couple of IPAs, that's it. Plus, I could give two shits about the teams so I'll just against... well... maybe you-know-who.

mikeinportc, dcotom and SFACRKnight like this.
  16. surfcaster

surfcaster Crusader (755) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Indirect, in the middle (edges too hot) at 275-300 (like to keep it low) until no fat dripping--prob 75-85 mins (wing parts lower side, whole wings on higher)? Then coat in a homemade sauce and then 10 mins direct to kiss em a little with flame.

And an Urquell or three. :wink:

Try this recipe but lower the heat. The wing sauce is my favorite--have not found one better.

https://www.wandernorthgeorgia.com/big-green-egg-chicken-wings-recipe/

My neck of the woods was 67 today. Quite a change. Tomorrow to be as equally nice. A great day to grill and have a cold beer.

Go football. Could not give a shit who is playing.

I had your avatar as a college poster. Bad ass. Clint Eastwood now is as great as ever but I think there was no greater cool than him in those Sergio Leone flicks.

#16 surfcaster, Feb 2, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    meefmoff and TrojanRB like this.
  17. TrojanRB

Society Trader

Thanks, I will give those a shot.

Love Clint Eastwood and spaghetti westerns!

donspublic likes this.
  18. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,066) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Probably do some wings in the crock pot and finish them on the grill. I'll serve 'em up with fresh veggies and ranch dip, along with pita chips and spicy hummus. Paired with Boxer Lager. You know, for the Puppy Bowl.

19. pjbear05

pjbear05 Initiate (165) May 28, 2008 Florida

Baked and served warm. The dish was "invented" at Xochimilco, a Mexican restaurant in SW Detroit's "Mexican Town" as a snack for expectant mothers. Tortillas would be quartered and fried into chips and placed on a metal pan seasoned ground beef put on top, then cheese. The pan would be put under a broiler to melt the cheese. Jalapeno slices would be added. The snack became so popular Xochomilco's made it an appetizer and added it to their menu back when I was still living in Detroit over 30 years ago. I make a modified version as an occasional meal for the wife and I.

mikeinportc and TrojanRB like this.
  20. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Initiate (147) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

I am pumped for Superbowl-Pats fan, been on a diet for a month, have some killer guacamole to make and will fire up the pizza oven, buddy is a savant on smoked wings and have the following beers to drink:
    very green
    super sap
    Haze
    Curiosity 57
    Permutation 57
    Impermance
    Hill Farmstead Mary and Marie cans

And I have Monday off from work, so hell yeah!!!

21. Ceddd99

Ceddd99 Initiate (122) May 14, 2018 Michigan
    Trader

I am working during the Super Bowl which is fine by me since I'm not big into sports. When I get home I'm planning to make jalepeno green beans and an omelet for dinner and maybe drink some Sam Adams Boston Ale.

mikeinportc and Troutbeerbum like this.
  22. Riff

Riff Crusader (790) May 12, 2016 Virginia

Eh on the game and halftime but it's still the last football game of the year so hoping it'll be a fun one and any excuse for a party sounds good. We'll be having baked wings, pulled pork, and nachos. Beer will be SN Resilience, Blue Mountain Native Species, and SN Hop Bullet.

mikeinportc and eppCOS like this.
  23. zeff80

zeff80 Poo-Bah (9,242) Feb 6, 2006 Missouri

Chili with a growler of Southern Tier 2xSmash.

24. Lonestar9

Lonestar9 Initiate (169) Apr 27, 2008 South Carolina
    Trader

Wife is away am I have a cold. Fun. Still, I hope to drink a few IPAs at least, maybe some wings or a dip. No party this year, but if the Rams win, that’s all I need.

mikeinportc likes this.
  25. eppCOS

eppCOS Champion (801) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

before I have to travel to NM with a field-trip class.... what I have left to finish:
    2 OB Can o'bliss tropical IPAs
    1 Bell's Hopslam
    So I'll need some water to get some sleep later.

mikeinportc and Oktoberfiesta like this.
  26. CrimeDog

CrimeDog Aspirant (211) Dec 31, 2015 New York

Eating chili...I have one Grimm beer in the fridge....The superbowl is a little anti-climatic for me being on a Sunday night......:slight_frown:

dcotom and mikeinportc like this.
  27. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Disciple (334) Mar 29, 2010 Indiana
    Trader

I'll probably make guacamole because I bought a bunch advocados for 50 cents at Aldi. Gonna finally drink my pillar of beasts tonight. Be funny watching bud light commercials drinking a $30 bottle of beer

mikeinportc and StoutElk_92 like this.
  28. Beerbadger55

Beerbadger55 Initiate (168) Aug 29, 2017 Wisconsin
    Society

Putting some venison meatballs and bacon wrapped tater tots on the Traeger a bit later for some pregame snacks then a pizza in the oven for during the game. Starting off with Spotted Cow and transitioning to Milwaukee Brewing Co IPA later on. Cheers BA’s!

mikeinportc and Beersnob724 like this.
  29. LarryV

LarryV Meyvn (1,147) Jun 13, 2001 Massachusetts
    Society

Not a football fan so I won't be watching it, I'll be binging on several unseen episodes of Abandoned instead. Going to cook some ribs this afternoon and just picked up a 4 pack of Founders Breakfast Stout so that will make it onto the agenda as well. But for those of you who enjoy the sport, have fun and enjoy the game!

30. Dreyski

Dreyski Initiate (180) Dec 13, 2015 England

A 4-pack of Brewdog Cybernaut and a tube of pringles. Perks of solo viewing from midnight till 4am.

31. not2quick

not2quick Disciple (364) Dec 1, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Should have made some tacos de lengua. You would be guaranteed some tasty leftovers, lololol.

32. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Poo-Bah (2,128) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts

I’ll be splitting some local Bison County smoked wings, honey buffalo and pineapple sriracha. To pair with those I have a Trillium DDH Congress Street and True New Englander, a bottle of Evil Twin Imperial Doughnut Maple Bourbon barrel-aged for dessert and for the game, and if another drink can be consumed maybe a Scaled Way Up. Cheers! :beers:

mikeinportc and Beersnob724 like this.
  33. Beersnob724

Beersnob724 Initiate (115) Jan 11, 2016 Ohio

Damn that sounds Fantastic!!!!!

StoutElk_92 likes this.
  34. GOBLIN

GOBLIN Meyvn (1,362) Mar 3, 2013 Ohio
    Society Trader

Can't go wrong with a good barrel aged English Barleywine and bacon wrapped dates.
    Buffalo chicken dip with tortilla chips should pair very nice with Sierra Nevada Brut ipa as well.

dcotom, mikeinportc and StoutElk_92 like this.
  35. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (256) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico

Fam has some gumbo and jambalaya cooking . Refs be damned, were doing this.

Beer wise, two hearted and Hamm's mainly. Sprinkling in some locals here or there.

mikeinportc and VABA like this.
  36. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,652) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Ha yeah, only if you told them what it was. Got lucky they were 15 people short so have a nice buffet to lay out today.

not2quick likes this.
  37. laketang

laketang Meyvn (1,040) Mar 22, 2015 Illinois
    Society

A six of this and a big batch of chilli

StoutElk_92 and mikeinportc like this.
  38. JrGtr

JrGtr Disciple (376) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

Got some ribs and a chicken on the smoker. SWMBO made up some philly cheesesteak egg rolls. Chips / veg and hummus / salsa.
    Currently drinking a homebrew pale ale. Couple more of those ready to go, plus Founders Centennial, SN Resilliance, Some Tree House, Sip of Sunshine, etc, ready to go, plus my cellar on standby.

Riff likes this.
  39. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Champion (839) Nov 4, 2015 New York
    Society

:thinking_face: ???

Super Bowl food/beer ?
    Yes. :smirk:
    Have a '17 The Abyss I might get into, other than that nothing in particular in mind.

StoutElk_92 likes this.
  40. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Poo-Bah (2,128) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts

Made some nachos with various cheeses including a jalapeño sliced cheese, shredded Monterey Jack and a mixed blend to go with the Scaled Way Up. Just cracked a Hopslam to finish the night. Cheers everyone! :beer:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.