Superhype beer style you're just not that into

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DeweyCheatem-n-Howe, May 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fscottkey

fscottkey Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2014 New York

+1 for Gose. It tastes more like Zima than beer.

2. HeyItsThatGuy

HeyItsThatGuy Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2016 Illinois

I agree, I'd say American Wild Ales are what is really "In" in terms of sours.

3. Urk1127

Urk1127 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,728) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Lambics. I can live without them but i do like fruited lambics.

4. Sir_Whats-his-face

Sir_Whats-his-face Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2015 Oregon

I generally like English Barleywines way more, but I have to be in the right mood for something that sweet. I've had very few American Barleywines that I enjoyed; something about the combination of heavy sweetness and hops is extremely off putting.

5. David_Deas

David_Deas Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2016 North Carolina

Barleywine isn't exactly a well defined style of beer. Someone saying they don't like barleywines is pretty much simply saying they don't like beers brewed over a certain abv.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  6. Dando274

Dando274 Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2016 Pennsylvania

I cannot appreciate gueuzes. Maybe someday but I don't find them enjoyable. Reminds me of vomit.

Goses that pussy-foot around and barely taste sour or salty are a turnoff too. I want them to at least be saltier than Gatorade and I like that refreshing aspect of goses so all these breweries jumping on the bandwagon with mild goses aren't improving things. They're trying to appeal to new people but from this thread I think it looks like people either like sour/salty beers or they don't. Trying to get the best of both worlds isn't going to please everyone.

hoptheology likes this.
  7. MaltheadWeirdo

MaltheadWeirdo Aspirant (276) Nov 18, 2015 Pennsylvania

Same for me. I can appreciate the complexity in a good barleywine, doppelbock, or dubbel, but quads just taste one-dimensional for some reason.

Boubon-barrel-aged anything just tastes like watered-down bourbon to me, not beer. Oaked beers I'm down with, but not bourbon.

PatrickCT and akolb like this.
  8. Derranged

Derranged Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2010 New York

While I do I like some IPA's, I'll never quite understand the industry's obsession with them. Of course, I've never tried Heady Topper, any of the Pliny's or Blind Pig, so perhaps I'm missing out.

EDIT: I should have specified American IPAs. Generally I prefer English IPAs and I know I'm the minority on that one. I even made a thread about it a while back.

#108 Derranged, May 24, 2016
    Last edited: May 24, 2016
  9. TomN

TomN Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2004 New Jersey

Suggesting sour beers are nothing more than fermented fruit is incorrect. The processes and ingredients to make a sour beer and a fruit wine are drastically different and many sour beers contain no fruit at all. Low wine is a term associated with distillation, so it doesn't apply to either one.

10. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2012 California

Pumpkin beers, super hazy IPA's, and Gose. I like IPAs and sours, but those haven't grown on me yet. Pumpkin beers? Ugh...they won't.

#110 TriggerFingers, May 24, 2016
  11. turbotype

turbotype Savant (1,023) Nov 5, 2013 California

"New England Styled" IPA. Not against them in any way, just prefer "West Coast" styled IPA.

Most Bourbon Barrel aged beer. When the bourbon barrel contribution is subtle, I totally dig it, but in most I have tried, the bourbon was overpowering. If I wanted that much bourbon flavor, I would just drink bourbon. And thank you Firestone Walker for doing bourbon barrel aging correctly. I wish other breweries would follow your example.

AAL. OK, so maybe alot of BAs don't drink AAL, but alot of people in the US do. I don't get it and I never did. They surely can't be drinking it for the flavor as it really doesn't have any. And if they just want to get drunk, a cheap bottle vodka would do the trick rather than having to drink an entire case of beer. Beyond my comprehension I guess.

Seriously, just give me a lifetime supply of Pliny, Duvel, Orval, Sucaba or Parabola and I would be set.

Cthulhusquid and PatrickCT like this.
  12. OnePuttBlunder

OnePuttBlunder Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2015 Arizona

American barleywine
    Coffee stouts where coffee overpowers the beer and I just think i should have had a cup of coffee instead.
    Sours. My fiance loves them. I try everyone she gets. Only one I've liked so far is Almanac hoppy axxaca

13. hopnado

hopnado Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2014 Michigan

Superhype beer style apparently means any random beer style you don't like.

SovietBillCosby, zid and champ103 like this.
  14. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Grand High Pooh-Bah (8,213) Dec 4, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Banged it. I've been at it for a long time and these two I still struggle with but continue to try and develop a palate for.

tillmac62 likes this.
  15. elNopalero

elNopalero Grand Pooh-Bah (4,568) Oct 14, 2009 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I've yet to drink any actual New England-style IPAs from the east coast but I'm already feeling over the hype. I keep trying them out here (Cellarmaker!), and it's not that they're not tasty... I just can't get over the appearance, I guess. And the hype. Did I mention the hype?

Edit: geeze, I'm a cranky old man tonight! Kids, get off my lawn! Maybe I should relax and have a beer...

16. David_Deas

David_Deas Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2016 North Carolina

You're right about the low wines. Shouldn't have used that term.

It is true that many sour beers don't have fruit, but many more sours do. Honestly, it really doesn't matter about the details of the process to me. When you ferment fruit you are making wine. When you add fermented fruit to fermented grain you are making a half wine, half beer mixed drink concoction. I don't really like wine a whole lot, which is probably why I don't really like sours. They taste too much like coolers to me.

#116 David_Deas, May 24, 2016
  17. Hoppsbabo

Hoppsbabo Pooh-Bah (2,029) Jan 29, 2012 England
    Pooh-Bah Society

18. invertalon

invertalon Pooh-Bah (2,065) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Lately, coffee stouts... For example, love Dino Smores... But just had the coffee version of it and didn't care for it. I love coffee (drinking one now), but in beer I am just not caring for it. It's too dominant in *most* beers and too intense (again, funny because the darker the coffee for me, the better!). But something like Founder's BS and KBS are examples of it done well, its there but not overpowering.

19. Ninjakillzu

Ninjakillzu Initiate (0) Oct 5, 2015 Washington

I'm not a fan of bourbon barrel aged stouts. I can't really appreciate them as I've never had bourbon.

20. westcoastbeergeek

westcoastbeergeek Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2015 Canada (BC)

I'd have to say some of the latest fruit IPA's, personally don't like Grapefruit Sculpin.

Also, some of the stupid crazy turbid beers that simply taste like juice. I like malt in my beer, so I find myself not loving these. Some are pretty good, but nowhere near as good as a well made IPA/DIPA.

Oddly enough, I love Radlers, so perhaps I simply crave the real juice vs the extract.

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.