Superhype beer style you're just not that into

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DeweyCheatem-n-Howe, May 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GP9

GP9 Initiate (0) May 29, 2016 New York

I am sick of going out to bars and having multiple choices of over hopped IPAs. A regular, well balanced traditional recipe is fine with me. In those cases, I just settle for the average American or Canadian adjunct lager.

Today we went to an English pub for lunch. It was nice to have Fuller's ESB on tap. If I wasn't the DD for the ride home, another pint would have been purchased. In the establishment's review, in this forum, someone said the beer selection was dated,especially with the new breweries abounding. The problem is that they don't have the traditional British beer.

LuskusDelph, hoptheology and TongoRad like this.
  2. nerdboy19

nerdboy19 Aspirant (253) Sep 20, 2015 Korea (South)
    Trader

I love IPA, hazy IPA, BA imperial stouts, sours and every great beers! But too high ABV beers(Avery, Bruery etc..) taste too boozy and I like my beer's ABV under 13.0%

3. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (3,142) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

Some of the recent dry hopped saisons have not been too agreeable. But then again, saisons are not usually my thing. Also, Belgian IPA's. To me, it's a Belgian Pale Ale, or not. Hopping it up just makes it a mess IMHO.

4. hoptheology

hoptheology Poo-Bah (5,931) May 12, 2014 South Dakota
    Society Trader

I agree 100%. I felt Xocoveza was all green pepper as well, and granted yes, it's got chiles in there, but it's like green peppers rolled in coffee grounds. I aged it a bit, had one after 6 months and it still tasted like peppers. I'm going to age it another year to see what it does.

5. hoptheology

Society Trader

I love sours, always have regardless of popularity. I welcome the popularity actually. :slight_smile:

6. hoptheology

Society Trader

Nitro anything besides porters and stouts.

Nitro IPAs? Blech.
    Nitro Witbiers? WTF?

Also any pacific style ale that tastes like I just bit into an onion and a garlic clove. I'm talking to you, Stone.

7. hoptheology

Society Trader

What kind of Gose have you been drinking?

I've yet to have anything near that and I've had a lot of Goses.

JISurfer likes this.
  8. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Poo-Bah (2,590) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Hmm. I'm thinking of a style I'm not willing to try- or Ive tried and will never try again.....And I'm drawing a blank.

9. JISurfer

JISurfer Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2002 South Carolina

Sours, Farmhouse/Saisons, and Barleywines. There, I said it.

Sours are ok, but nothing I lose my shit over. Farmhouse/Saisons, don't like barnyard funk, anything that tastes like a horse blanket (and I used to work on a horse farm). Barleywines, because I don't like overly sweet malt in my hoppy beers. Just reminds me of outdated IPAs.

10. manfromanotherplace

manfromanotherplace Initiate (0) May 19, 2015 New York

Ipa's....ive had heady topper and sip of sunshine and they were no better or worse than any old ipa ive picked up since. Maybe my palate isnt as educated or sophisticated enough to get it, but to say that Heady Topper is a top 5 beer ever is just absurd in my opinion.

11. Beric

Beric Initiate (0) Jun 1, 2013 Massachusetts

I haven't had either of the two beers you mentioned, but I had a similar experience with KBS. Honestly, the hype train paints these beers up to be so spectacular and you get incredible expectations in your head, and then you have one and you realize it's just beer. I don't think it's a matter of palate sophistication or the like, it's just a matter of you finding out that hype doesn't always translate into flavor.

Hyped beer's I've been disappointed by:
    KBS
    Boom Sauce
    Gumballhead

I will say that KBS is better than BCBS, in my opinion, but it isn't on the same level as the spiced stouts I really dig (Xocoveza and BOMB!). Boom Sauce, after being hyped in BA magazine for my entire subscription period, fell flat on its face. Gumballhead is weak compared to A Little Sumpin' Sumpin', in my opinion, as far as a hoppy wheat beer goes, not to mention much harder to get.

12. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe Initiate (0) May 23, 2015 Massachusetts

...he says, with a picture of a 14% ABV beer as his avatar.

(Just giving you trouble)

13. manfromanotherplace

manfromanotherplace Initiate (0) May 19, 2015 New York

I would agree that the 2015 KBS i thought was overrated also, this years version was excellent though!the other 2 i haven't tried but i do love Bomb, one of the best around. I agree with your overall point too.

14. nerdboy19

nerdboy19 Aspirant (253) Sep 20, 2015 Korea (South)
    Trader

Noooooo... ok that's an exception, Parabola drinks very smooth without any booze even it's 2016 fresh. :wink:

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe likes this.
  15. ClePaul

ClePaul Zealot (594) May 30, 2013 Ohio

Grown adults letting craft beer affect their life... Waiting in line, arguing over it, spending more money than they should or have, bad mouthing Budweiser, obsessing over beer they call 'whales'.

Wish more people on here could just find a nice beer, pour, enjoy life and spend less time letting a pastime companion be your full time hobby.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  16. Tdizzle

Tdizzle Devotee (445) Dec 19, 2006 California
    Deactivated

Sours. I really need to be in the mood for one, and that doesn't happen often. I can totally see the appeal, but I find that many sours taste fairly similar. However, I really enjoy the Russian River sours (Temptation, Supplication, and Consecration).

17. Jerk_Store

Jerk_Store Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2015 Canada (QC)

I just can't seem to appreciate barrel aged stuff as much as many others. There's a novelty about it that bothers me and I much prefer just drinking the base beer. I think there's just too man now to where the novelty wore off...

18. twistwrist

twistwrist Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2013 Georgia

I'm getting more on board with sours this year, but if too sour, I can't take it.
    The fruitier beers used to be on my strike list, but this summer I find myself enjoying the watermelon, grapefruit, and even orange styles.

19. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,791) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

I'm over BA stouts. Everyone and their mom makes one and they've all started to taste the same to me.

I don't like IPA's that have a strong vegetal/dank note either.

Shanex and The_FishermanJay like this.
  20. GameOfBeers

GameOfBeers Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2014 Pennsylvania

Sours and pumpkin beers

21. PSU_Mike

PSU_Mike Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2013 Pennsylvania

Gose

I can't fathom how people say they can drink them all day. Any more than 12oz of something sour is more than enough for me.

22. ThisWangsChung

ThisWangsChung Poo-Bah (3,205) Oct 15, 2011 Maryland
    Society

That's funny, because I taste the booze in Parabola a lot more than I do in comparable barrel-aged stouts. Oats are bad at exposing the alcohol in a big beer, methinks :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyways, my contribution to this thread is simple: most (but NOT all) Mosaic-hopped IPAs. Some do bring a great tropical fruit quality...but many others are pure sweet onion bombs. Two very well received examples include Grimm Tesseract and Aslin Bringing Sexy Back; they were both good, they just had too much of a sweet onion taste for me.

23. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,099) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Why, would that make your life better somehow?

Fine beer is one of my top 5 hobbies, I hope that it's okay if I do it the way I like?

croush and jcos like this.
  24. ando1331

ando1331 Initiate (0) Nov 2, 2011 New Hampshire

Framinghammer is a Baltic Porter, so maybe the flavor profiles are a bit different than you would expect from a stout.

25. LuskusDelph

LuskusDelph Initiate (0) May 1, 2008 New Jersey

LOL. That's true.
    It still amuses me to no end that some people actually consider drinking a hobby.

26. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Zealot (524) Oct 28, 2010 Iowa
    Trader

No doubt. Next thing you know they'll form forums and discuss it with people around the world. :confused:

croush and LuskusDelph like this.
  27. thepenguin

thepenguin Devotee (449) Aug 8, 2010 Massachusetts

Westbrooks gose is about as balanced as a seesaw with one person on it.

Edit: also, because of you I looked up "Gokkun." Now I have that in my browser history...thanks.

Shroud0fdoom likes this.
  28. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,099) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Well, I like to learn the history of beer, I like to brew beer and learn new styles to brew, equipment to use, new techniques, old techniques, and ways to improve the quality, I like to talk about all the many styles there are and get to try many great examples of each of them, I like to do tastings that take a bit of thought and preparation and effort to set up, I like to visit breweries, and of course I like to drink beer.

I suppose that me considering this a hobby could be amusing, just not all that sure how.

croush and elucas730 like this.
  29. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,803) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

I'm with you on the talking and drinking part Dave, the rest sounds like a lot of work.

croush likes this.
  30. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland

I am left to say either "I'm sorry" or "You're WelCOME" :stuck_out_tongue:

31. LuskusDelph

LuskusDelph Initiate (0) May 1, 2008 New Jersey

Well Dave, you misunderstand me. My hobby is homebrewing, and it has been my hobby since the summer of 1971. And I've been studying beer history and following the industry just as long.
    I was primarily referring to those who, from the way they sound sometimes, are essentially drinking as a hobby. A fine line, perhaps, but I do think there is a difference.

TongoRad and cavedave like this.
  32. skleice

skleice Aspirant (299) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

I'm actually growing to like most styles. However, i don't see the point of Triple IPAs. I just don't like them and don't want something that heavy. Leave the high ABV for the big stouts IMO. Barley wines are ok, but I usually only want 6oz or so.

33. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,797) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Society Trader

Barley wines.

Two years ago I'd have said stouts but they're also growing on me.

VABA likes this.
  34. ClePaul

ClePaul Zealot (594) May 30, 2013 Ohio

Come on David! Didn't you read the thread title! It's just something I AM not into!! You are lucky we share a common avatar or I would take a personal attack on you... Just kidding, I still wouldn't even if you weren't a dead fan. Jokes aside, I have been a fan boy and it was fun. But this weekend I went to Costco, bought a case of Sierra Nevada summer pack for $26.99 and feel liberated from hunting down/jumping threw hoops/overspending for brews, most of which only moderately better than whats on my local shelves. Just my personal preference these days. What others do doesn't bother me.

35. GrumpyGas

GrumpyGas Poo-Bah (2,377) Apr 7, 2009 Illinois
    Society Trader

Guinness is as close to coffee as I ever want to get.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.