Supermarket sweep.

Discussion in 'Great Britain' started by EmperorBevis, May 16, 2012.

1. Hanglow

Hanglow Crusader (733) Feb 18, 2012 United Kingdom (Scotland)

Scottish lidl beer fest starts today, there is a canned sour from fierce, honey beer from 6degrees north, two canned IPAs from loch Lomond and a dipa from Broughton, all for well under £2 each. Plus a few others. Oh also a 4pack cans of Williams bros craft lager .

2. DJ-Hophead

DJ-Hophead Meyvn (1,343) May 28, 2015 United Kingdom (England)

Looks like a goodish line up. Seems form the leaflet in my local that they have upped their game in England with March of the Penguins, Vocation Heart and Soul, Skinners Betty Stogs, The London Craft Beer Factory Hazey Daze, Stewart Bright Lights etc. Will see what arrives. Suspect loads of bottles of Marston's Lancaster Bomber !!

hdtrice and Hanglow like this.
  3. Hanglow

Yeah as long as you don't set the bar too high there can be some good offerings from them. I like the fests they do as at least it means the beers tend to be freshly made for them

4. Hanglow

The can of loch Lomond lost in mosaic I just had was canned three days ago, that has to be a record for a supermarket beer. A very good beer too, plus a snip at 1.69 a 440ml can. What a time to be alive

jazzyjeff13, Redrover and CwrwAmByth like this.
  5. EmperorBevis

EmperorBevis Poo-Bah (4,386) Sep 25, 2011 United Kingdom (England)
    Premium

Lidl have two lots of beer in their specials aisles
    Craft beer Festival all beers £1.29 with
    The Good :William Bros March of the Penguins: Stewart Bright Lights; Vocation Heart & Soul; London Beer Factory Beyond the Pale & Hazey Daze; Skinners Betty Stogs
    The Bad: Black Sheep Pale; Robinson Trooper; Holts Humdinger; Shep Neame Double Stout; Penis & Gunk Man Goes on the Run
    & the F*cking Ugly: Ringwood Boondoggle; Brain's barry Island; Robinson Mojo & Beardo; Thwaites Lancaster Bomber
    With the Straw Dogs; Brains Black Mountain (not tried it); Oakham Citrs (not as hoppy as it was)
    William Bros Caesar Augustus (didn't impress me)

Also Oktober fest with five hundred mil beer for 99p
    Perlanbacher Hefeweissenbier, Patronus Festbier and Patronus Bier und Limonade

Tesco have changed/ramped up their craft
    Thornbridge Fresa Strawberry Milkshake IPA & Hops Stuff Juicy Fruit(awful smelly but tastes nice) at two pound fifty
    quite a few others including Vocation/Yeastie Boys Breakfast Club, a blueberry waffle flavoured breakfast stout thats very tasty but a bit thin for the three quid price tag

Hanglow and DJ-Hophead like this.
  6. DJ-Hophead

Is that a foreign shandy ?

EmperorBevis likes this.
  7. EmperorBevis

Premium

Ja das is shandy

8. Hoppsbabo

Hoppsbabo Champion (861) Jan 29, 2012 United Kingdom (England)
    Trader

Some interesting stuff in Tesco. 'Vermont style hazy IPA' or something. The NEIPA is creeping in. Not sure how faithful the Tesco incarnations are to the American versions. Not bad though.

DJ-Hophead likes this.
  9. jazzyjeff13

jazzyjeff13 Poo-Bah (3,643) Nov 6, 2010 United Kingdom (England)

Was in M&S earlier and noticed they've rejigged some of their beer offerings. New breweries include Bear Republic (Racer 5) and cans from Mikkeller....

DJ-Hophead likes this.
  10. DJ-Hophead

Local Tesco's has upped their game with 2 x 4 x 330 ml cans of Vocation Life and Death for an amazing offer of £9, £6 on their own, gazumping Morrison's Northern Monk New World IPA by a £1. You can mix and match with a whole range of other stuff. Also noticed Jaipur in a similar pack for £6 not in offer.

jazzyjeff13 likes this.
  11. EmperorBevis

Premium

Back in at Lidl six exclusive Belgian beers is back at the slightly higher price of £10.99
    even so with Gulden Draak, Golden Draak 9000, Bornem Dubble, Bornem Triple, Piraat & Piraat triple hop, its £1.83 a pop for some big strength big flavour beer

DJ-Hophead, jazzyjeff13 and Malt_Man like this.
  12. jazzyjeff13

jazzyjeff13 Poo-Bah (3,643) Nov 6, 2010 United Kingdom (England)

It must be that time of year....

Morrisons currently have their 'beer festival' on, with a range of beers available at reduced prices. I don't know if it's the same in every location, but my local has Rooster's Baby Faced Assassin cans for £1.25 and some other decent brews as well. Get down there!

Also, Home Bargains currently has bottles of Bornem Blonde for 99p.

EmperorBevis and DJ-Hophead like this.
  13. DJ-Hophead

They work with Real Ale, so expect the likes of Ska, Amundsen and Hardwood as well. Also have a 12 pack for Xmas of their own collab range :

https://beertoday.co.uk/british-world-beers-m-and-s-0918/

Seems to me that some of the supermarkets are upping their games.

jazzyjeff13 likes this.
  14. Hanglow

Aldi Scottish beer fest is on. Seven breweries with multiple offerings from each one, WEST have canned GPA on which is a local favourite of mine on draught, will see if it's as good canned. I don't think their bottled hefeweisse stands up as well as the draught version.

also swannay are there too, always a good brewery

https://www.aldi.co.uk/scottishbeerfestival

EmperorBevis and DJ-Hophead like this.
  15. DJ-Hophead

Picked up 2 Bear Republic Racer 5 and 2 Ska Modus Hoperandi for £7.50. Had the Racer 5 before and it is a really nice West Coast style IPA.

jazzyjeff13, Hanglow and EmperorBevis like this.
  16. ruouballantines

ruouballantines Initiate (0) Oct 12, 2018

Wonderful flavours, balance and a superb story that sets the scene. A real talking point with my friends and family. Celebrating history and innovation. Thrilled to taste the first hint of The Lakes Single Malt in this Whisky too. Well done Lakes Distillery

EmperorBevis likes this.
  17. DJ-Hophead

Just tried one of the Bear Republic Racer 5 and pretty disappointed with this. Had a bottle of this in Brewdog last winter and clearly remember it had some nice resin notes and juicy hop feel. Cannot detect much of this from this bottle. Has EXPORT printed on it and wondering if the recipe has changed as seems also a lot maltier than previous ? Anyway will crack the other bottle sometime soon to check.

EmperorBevis likes this.
  18. DJ-Hophead

Second bottle far better. Must of been a duffer the first.

jazzyjeff13 likes this.