Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Surdyk's - Why shop there?

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by mcritchi, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcritchi

mcritchi Jan 13, 2010 Minnesota

Over the years I've gone there from time to time, but now I work relatively close so it's a nice lunch hour stop. Honestly, I don't get the draw (from a beer perspective). The selection is ok, but not in the same league as, say, Zipp's. Am I missing something?
  2. wuuin

wuuin May 16, 2007 Minnesota

you're not missing anything. I also work close by and rarely stop in there. prices and selection is avg at best. in the 'beer community', I don't think it is very highly regarded.
  3. LittleGus

LittleGus Mar 13, 2008 Minnesota

It has a great wine and booze selection, with a so-so beer selection. I only shop there when I'm in the area, and it's convenient.
  4. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Feb 15, 2005 Minnesota

I used to work there (2004-2006) and at the time it was near the top for beer selection. I got into beer because of working there. Now it's considered average-decent as far as beer. For wine and liquor? Second to none.
  5. pillzsix

pillzsix Mar 21, 2008 Minnesota

They have cheese
    jebsinger, biglobo8971 and maximum12 like this.
  6. sudsluvr

sudsluvr Nov 5, 2010 Minnesota

They're no longer second-to-none as far as wine and spirits anymore. They're not even second. They still do a good job for national brands when they have a sale, but the wine and spirits selection is at least as boring as the beer selection. I think it's a matter of growing comfortable at the top [in gross sales] and losing the sense of adventure. Support the passionate little guys
  7. Douggo

Douggo Oct 24, 2009 Minnesota

It's been, well, over a year I guess since I've been there, but my take is there's no real reason to go there for beer, unless you happen to be right there for some other reason. Or if you just want to check one more place for the latest limited release that may or may not be wildly overpriced.
    Reasons not to go there would include the potential for wildly overpriced limiteds, and/or you're still pissed off about Darkness Debacle 2011.
  8. Chaz

Chaz Feb 3, 2002 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

As recently as twenty years ago it was worthy of a mention, but today it is best ignored by serious beer hobbyists, as there are so many better options in the greater Twin Cities area.

The the last straw was when they offered Surly's Darkness at a ridiculous price a couple of years ago, and I doubt they can ever do anything to redeem themselves after that. In fact, with the disdain shown for Craft and specialty beer drinkers as pertains to that episode I keep asking myself whether they shouldn't be removed from the database, here. The place hardly rates an inclusion, other than for the sake of completeness.
  9. dc55110

dc55110 Oct 24, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

This is exactly what did it for me. Sure they were charging an arm and a leg, they weren't the only ones, but it was how they responded to the criticism that sealed their fate for me.
    KarlHungus and Ungertaker like this.
  10. deadbody

deadbody May 10, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

This. MGM gouged at a higher price for Darkness, but was smart enough not to insult the people who they hoped would buy it. Jim Surdyk wasn't that intelligent and express his disdain for me and my people. So I don't go there.
  11. minnesotaryan

minnesotaryan Dec 27, 2010 Minnesota

Because you have more money than you know what to do with and want to pay extra to be a baller
  12. mcritchi

mcritchi Jan 13, 2010 Minnesota

A bright side of their lack of attention to craft beer is their mis-pricing of product from time to time. Since the New Year I've gotten a 22oz of Left Hand Wake Up Dead for $7.99 (about $2 less than I see it elsewhere) and a 6 pack of Gonzo Imperial Porter for $9.99 (typically more like $13).
  13. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 May 11, 2007 Minnesota

Average service, high prices, always busy, high prices, lack of cooler space for craft beer

I kind of like the little cheese shop though, but the prices are high there as well.

I never go anymore. Stinson blows them out of the water, twice.
  14. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 May 11, 2007 Minnesota

They can do that with the extra money they made from Darkness. While my regular stop (mile away) gets less than half as much Darkness and charges normal prices. Just a little bitter, but my store always makes sure to keep two bottles aside for me.
  15. Revenant

Revenant Aug 8, 2012 Minnesota

That guy there with the beard is really annoying. I think he needs more tattoos to earn serious brew cred in my books.
    adamcarlson28 likes this.
  16. archi348

archi348 Nov 7, 2012 Minnesota

Over priced beer and a really fugly building. No thanks.
  17. DogfishRyan

DogfishRyan Mar 2, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Ever since the Darkness debacle I've made a pact with myself to never walk into Surdyk's again. Not that I shopped there too often to begin with. But I haven't missed the place for a second. There are PLENTY of other great stores out there that appreciate your business. And I'm more than happy to give them my business no matter the cost.
  18. adamcarlson28

adamcarlson28 Oct 11, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Big dick baller is the preferred nomenclature
  19. adamcarlson28

adamcarlson28 Oct 11, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I come from wisco and do the liquor store bottle shop scene... For me it's France 44, 4 firkins, haskells, MGM in that order. Have never done zips or ale jail....am I missing out?
  20. minnesotaryan

minnesotaryan Dec 27, 2010 Minnesota

zipps is great, ale jail can be pretty good too, though I don't get there as much, I would add heritage to your list too.
  21. RKPStogie

RKPStogie Nov 4, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Just don't shop there, your soul will thank you.
    accordselux and Cyclone8 like this.
  22. cmannes

cmannes Mar 15, 2009 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I think I'm about to whine about whining. But this thread kind of bugs me. If you don't like something, just say so. Don't ask people if you shouldn't like something. Figure it out your self, and share that opinion.

Asking a group of people you don't really know "Hey, should I like something?" is really weak. I'm not trying to be rude, I just want to see people step up, make a decision, and share that. Going on a forum and asking people what to think just seems a little.... weak, to me.

So, Surdyk's, seems most people don't like it. So let's step up, and say Surdyk's currently sucks. I'm fine with that.

EDIT: Btw, I have been drinking, so feel free to tell me I'm an asshole. :)
    BrettHead likes this.
  23. BrettHead

BrettHead Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

For cmannes :D

cmannes likes this.
  24. jebsinger

jebsinger Nov 15, 2012 Minnesota

is someone from Wisconsin?
  25. gatornation

gatornation Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

go to Zipps
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!