1. Join us for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest on Sat, Sept 17 in Portland, Maine. Limited tickets still available: beeradvocate.com/belgian
    Dismiss Notice

Surly Abrasive

Discussion in 'New England' started by Chazari99, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Chazari99

Chazari99 Mar 10, 2011 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Had the pleasure of getting some Surly Abrasive from Minnesota today. Wow. It is almost virtually indistinguishable from Heady. Heady is a bit better, but not by much. If Heady is a 100, Surly is a 97.

2. Ataraxia

Ataraxia Sep 20, 2012 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

How fresh was each beer? Time to compare; I think my Heady is 2, maybe 3, weeks old, and the Abrasive should be less than that.

3. alexsergio

alexsergio Mar 7, 2011 New York
    Subscriber Beer Trader

if heady is 100, abrasive is 99. they are both amazing. im stuck on LI so i cherish either one, including the 2 abrasives ive aleady had tonight!!

4. Horbar

Horbar Feb 24, 2012 Rhode Island

Heady on tap destroys all!!

5. celfan

celfan Jul 4, 2004 Vermont
    Beer Trader

I found Abrasive to have more of a grapefruit taste while heady has that peach/apricot/mango thing going on.
    Abrasive is certainly a well made beer, I just prefer Heady. I'd say Abrasive and Kern Citra are the only ales that can hang with HF Abner/Double Galaxy, Heady, and Double Sunshine.

6. mhksuccess

mhksuccess Jul 7, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

i had some abrasive which was 5 weeks old then right after 1 week old heady and like the heady better
    i dont think that the abrasive has lost much of anything at 5 weeks
    really looking forward to trying this Lawsons Finest Triple Play IPA then a fresh heady then an abrasive and rate all 3

highdesertdrinker likes this.
  7. celfan

celfan Jul 4, 2004 Vermont
    Beer Trader

i'd go with Double Sunshine

8. Pinknuggets

Pinknuggets Oct 5, 2012 Massachusetts

I totally agree the first time I had it my reaction was, "holy shit I finally found a beer that can compete with heady topper" but i also agree it almost measures up but not quite.

9. jstilwell

jstilwell Oct 21, 2008 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Abrasive is on my list of beers that I trade for multiple times per year. I think it is one of the few actually up there with heady.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe