Surly Tap takeover at 3 squares tonight 5/3

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by mnphish, May 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mnphish

mnphish Aspirant (297) Aug 19, 2012 Minnesota

from their facebook:

"We have a VERY special night tonight, for the Friday version of our 5 yr Celebration!

Surly Tap Takeover!!!!!

Beers included....

Cynic, Furious, Fest, SMOKE, a Bender White Oak Aged Firkin, and a Super, Duper, Top Secret Tap (Hint: it's got a '7' in the name).

All starts at 4pm...Tonight....Get here early....very early...for real...it's going to be awesome"

Mnmaverick, cmannes and Mplsmetro57 like this.
  2. mnphish

They just confirmed via facebook that it is Diminished 7

lonewolfcry likes this.
  3. cmannes

cmannes Disciple (354) Mar 15, 2009 Minnesota

4. mnphish

^ Nice picture compliance! I didn't make the trip unfortunately. How is the Diminished 7 tasting?

5. lonewolfcry

lonewolfcry Zealot (594) Dec 7, 2007 Minnesota

Oak Bender & Diminished are not getting here until 5 pm
    So I'm stuck eating walleye fingers and drinking some Saga.

Could be worse, could be raining!
    (Young Frankenstein was my favorite)

mnphish and theCoder like this.
  6. evilgenius1917

evilgenius1917 Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2009 Minnesota

Grumpy's NE tapped a Diminished 7 today too.

7. lonewolfcry

I'll have to say that I was actually a little taken aback by the Diminished.
    I was expecting a lighter quad, but it was more to the style of a Saison IMO.
    Not bad, and maybe the long wait influenced my opinion (had to wait an hour and a half longer than advertised:angry:) , but nothing I would seek out again.

The Bender aged on White Oak on cask was actually very good.
    Not sure if I've ever had anything quite like it - actually, I'm very sure of that - but it worked for me tonight.

Thanks 3 Squares for hosting this event.
    I'm just a bit annoyed at the fact it took so long to get the 2 beers that everyone wanted (and were promised - via advertising), actually ready to pour.
    I thought a free pour was in order - but then again, how would they draw the line.
    I did get a couple of "sorry about that" from the staff, so I won't hold a grudge.
    3 Squares is a very nice local spot, that I'm grateful to have.

Nice to have met a couple of fellow BA's tonight as well, and would've liked to stayed longer.

8. PieOhMy

PieOhMy Disciple (376) Feb 23, 2013 Minnesota

What's the damage there? Anything that may make it 'til tomorrow afternoon? I might swing by if any of the cask Bender or Fest are still on tap.

9. lonewolfcry

I ducked out early (6:30), and I couldn't imagine anything tapping out - however it is Surly, and with their following - who knows.
    I would just call ahead.

10. cmannes

cmannes Disciple (354) Mar 15, 2009 Minnesota

Yeah, I had a cynic, followed by Diminished 7, and at first, I thought it was just another Cynic. Kind of surprised me. I tried D7 at Firkin Fest, and didn't remember it being that similar to Cynic. Of course, I may have had a few more beers there. :slight_smile:

The Cask Bender was fantastic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.