Surprise Philly bar opening: Boiler Maker (new Farmers Cabinet project)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by hhkal17, Mar 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hhkal17

hhkal17 Pooh-Bah (2,601) Jul 10, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah

Just around the corner from Farmer's Cabinet is the ex-Doc Watson's/Blue Bear Tavern. The latter officially closed earlier this week, and it appears that it was turned around fairly quickly as the Farmer's Cabinet crew has taken it over and renamed it Boiler Maker. It's opening this afternoon at 3pm.

It has medieval decor, is mostly candlelit, and has an upstairs bar of 12 local drafts including a dedicated McKenzie's Brew House tap (some "Fork & Barrel"-esque traits there). Downstairs bar has 28 drafts of American crafts from around the country. Simple bar food including giant turkey legs (maybe like the Ren. Faire ones?).

Full article just came out late last night. It's below and it mentions some of the opening beers - http://www.phillybeerscene.com/2012/03/new-bar-from-farmers-cabinet/

2. ThoreauLikeAGirl

ThoreauLikeAGirl Initiate (0) Mar 11, 2011 Pennsylvania

my bet is on 4 months.

3. ClockworkOrange

ClockworkOrange Pooh-Bah (2,116) Feb 19, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

I wonder how they transferred the liquor license so quickly. Or, they may be opening under "new management" with the old owners still listed until the transfer is done?

4. corby112

corby112 Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2008 Pennsylvania

I love farmers cabinet so I'm excited to check this place out.

5. Annesemj

Annesemj Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2010 California

was there at 5, doors finally unlocked around 6:30. awesome awesome place. great vibe and atmosphere. 40 taps of varying styles and "rareness". we had some food, which was good. but you can tell they are still in early stages. menus were all handwritten. looks like they are gonna have a lot more to offer once things gets rolling. they are def on the right path though. easily the best first impression i've ever gotten, aside from farmers cabinet

6. alemarva99

alemarva99 Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2012

What makes you say that? Rather why would you say that? Don't people usually like when a new beer bar opens up?

7. northside

northside Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2007 Pennsylvania

Where to begin young alemarva 99, where to begin.........

8. chcfan

chcfan Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2008 California

The owners have a history of quick closings and lawsuits. Hopefully, they've got things straightened out because this sounds like a cool place. I still haven't checkout out Farmer's Cabinet, but I want to.

pwoody11 likes this.
  9. alemarva99

alemarva99 Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2012

Ah. I see now. Well hopefully they have that stuff behind them. Don't they own or rent a brewery now too? I would have to assume they are taking this more seriously if that's the case.

10. Avalon68

Avalon68 Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2008 Pennsylvania

Candle light...how surprising

Erin, pwoody11, northside and 2 others like this.
  11. RC51Mike

RC51Mike Crusader (493) Dec 17, 2004 Delaware

Medieval? Candlelight? Giant turkey legs? Like Renaissance Faire?

I guess it's a vibe but not my kind.

12. chcfan

chcfan Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2008 California

Yeah, I'm definitely not a Renfest person (not that there's anything wrong with that) but dark decor is OK in my book and I enjoy giant turkey legs, so I'll probably check it out if I'm in the area and it's still open.

13. guzzle211

guzzle211 Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2006 Pennsylvania

that way there's one less bill to skip out on <zing!>
    Having witnessed their track here in the Lehigh Valley, the main reason I wish them success and viability is for Terry's sake . . .

pwoody11 likes this.
  14. hhkal17

hhkal17 Pooh-Bah (2,601) Jul 10, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah

Yea the Ren Faire thing just popped into my head after reading about the bar description and those turkey legs. If they add the pickle wagon, I'm there!

15. PSUDREW

PSUDREW Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2002 Pennsylvania

Eh, it was OK. their "house" beers were really good, but over all, it was an odd mishmash of hipster/speak-easy/old west saloon. People keep raving, and while descent, I wouldn't go out of my way for it

16. Annesemj

my girl and i are getting married there this fall, farmers cabinet that is. rented out the place for a saturday afternoon

17. northside

northside Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2007 Pennsylvania

Please tell me you didn't put out a large down payment

18. Annesemj

so far a grand. the rest later on. should we take into consideration they might be out of business by then?

19. oglmcdgl

oglmcdgl Initiate (0) Mar 10, 2007 Pennsylvania

with their track record I'd have a back up plan

20. Annesemj

great. well we are gonna have them sign a contract or something that states that we get our money back if that does happen, which will cover that end. doesn't cover the end about last minute location plans however, which would be a disaster

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.