Swanky Beer recipe in BA mag #101

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by geodonnokepyo, Jun 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geodonnokepyo

geodonnokepyo Disciple (388) Oct 31, 2013 Pennsylvania

So I was reading the latest issue of BA magazine and the article about swanky beer really piqued my interest.

I am thinking of trying this out myself and am wondering if anyone on here has actually experimented with a version of this "beer"?

I don't want to straight out ask for a recipe but I am also curious if and how yours may have differed from the recommended one from the issue. For those of you that don't subscribe, that recipe called for:

2.5 gallons water
    2 lb white sugar
    4 oz ground ginger
    2 oz raisins
    4 oz old/stale hops
    2 oz baker's yeast

I am also curious about using baker's yeast. Any insight on this would be awesome.

2. OldSock

OldSock Zealot (582) Apr 3, 2005 District of Columbia
    Brewery

Lukass likes this.
  3. Hanglow

Hanglow Champion (810) Feb 18, 2012 Scotland

The only thing that would really make it taste crap is the yeast used imo, or if the hops are too potent. Otherwise it's along the same lines as any number of country wines that can taste crap to good

Is there supposed to be malt in it? Bit strange to include it in a beer magazine if theres no malt imo

4. telejunkie

telejunkie Aspirant (259) Sep 14, 2007 Vermont

Don't you call them Hedgerow wines over there?
    Add in some Kool-Aid and that sounds like some solid Pruno to me...

5. wspscott

wspscott Savant (900) May 25, 2006 Kentucky

I thought you needed ketchup to make Pruno? Wasn't there a thread about ketchup beer recently? I predict that Pruno will be the next fad style once everyone gets bored with sours :slight_smile:

telejunkie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.