1. Introducing the Respect Beer® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to ad-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Sweetest chocolate beer readily available

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by sulldaddy, Feb 17, 2019.

1. sulldaddy

sulldaddy Poo-Bah (3,302) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut
    Society Trader

So. I have a friend who doesnt really love beer. He has a HUGE sweet tooth and loves chocolate.
    I tried somewhere something from Tree House with him tonight and it wasnt sweet enough.

I strive to find beers that people like. Please give recommendations in replies.
    And im willing to trade for the most favorably replied beer.

PatrickCT and GreenBayBA like this.
  2. CheapHysterics

CheapHysterics Aspirant (212) Apr 1, 2009 Pennsylvania

Blockhouse chocolate Bock from Pittsburgh brewing is the sweetest chocolate beer I've had. It's like a liquid Tootsie roll, and completely terrible. I had 3 bottles. Couldn't finish one and drain poured the other two. But judging from its reviews, some people liked it. probably not available in your neck of the woods though.

For widely distributed stuff, I'd suggest southern tier. A lot of their large format bottles are really sweet.

3. HopsAreDaMan

HopsAreDaMan Defender (638) Jul 28, 2015 Missouri
    Society

4. rozzom

rozzom Crusader (783) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

Any 10%+ ABV Other Half stouts

5. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,285) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

6. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,067) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Something from Southern Tier"s Blackwater Series should do the trick.

7. hopsputin

hopsputin Meyvn (1,435) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey

-Southerners Tier Stouts
    -Ommegang Chocolate Indulgence, if it’s available, I think it’s rotating
    -Young’s Double Chocolate

8. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,319) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

The only chocolate beer that I've had that fits your requirements is Choklat stout from Southern Tier. It is almost sickenly sweet.

9. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Champion (804) Apr 21, 2014 Ontario (Canada)
    Trader

Flying Monkeys Chocolate Manifesto. Tastes like chocolate milk. It used to be available in a few States.

10. 57md

57md Poo-Bah (2,441) Aug 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

+1 Southern Tier Choklat.

And, Off Color Dino S'mores

11. Invinciblejets

Invinciblejets Devotee (457) Sep 29, 2014 South Carolina
    Trader

Not sure if they got distro in CT but any Westbrook/evil twin stout should do the trick.

RobNewton likes this.
  12. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (460) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Double Dark Chocolate Biggie Smores from 3 Notch'd for me... there were chocolate chunkies in the beer. And it was fabulous.

sulldaddy likes this.
  13. Scottsbeer

Scottsbeer Disciple (314) Nov 3, 2017 Florida
    Trader

Agree with others who have posted Southern Tier Blackwater series. They rotate what is available but I believe you should currently be able to get Samoa This. Very sweet, tastes like the Girl Scout Cookie. Southern Tier's description "New York- American Double/Imperial Stout- 10.0% ABV. With booming notes of chocolate, caramel, and coconut, Samoa This is our interpretation of the famous seasonal treat. We went to great lengths carefully crafting each flavor, right down to the savory shortbread-like cookie base."

PatrickCT, GreenBayBA and sulldaddy like this.
  14. readyski

readyski Aspirant (234) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Trader

Although there are lots of imp stouts out there that are pretty sweet and taste like chocolate (eg Even More Jesus), as for one that actually uses some chocolate - would like to add Prairie Double Dunk.

GreenBayBA, sulldaddy and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  15. Kuester

Kuester Initiate (84) May 14, 2012 Colorado

One more for Southern Tier, probably the most available.

The Lost Abbey Serpent's Stout was my first super heavy chocolate stout not sure how readily available that might be over the country.

Also Great Divide Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti if available.

GOBLIN, GreenBayBA and sulldaddy like this.
  16. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (2,551) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

This one and Young’s were the first/best that came to mind. I know Southern Tier makes one too. Haven’t had it, but if it’s anything like the rest of their flavored stuff it will certainly be over the top. I recall Rogue making a double chocolate that was a good dessert beer if they still do.
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/132/60694/

sulldaddy likes this.
  17. bbtkd

Society Trader

Rogue Double Chocolate was decent, but Southern Tier Choklat was disappointing compared to the reviews.

sharpski, jlharman and sulldaddy like this.
  18. Scottsbeer

Trader

The OP asked for the sweetest. IMO Southern Tier fits the question.

sharpski and sulldaddy like this.
  19. bbtkd

Society Trader

There's sweet and then there's SWEET. Have you had an Avery Rumpkin? It is a Rum BA Pumpkin beer that tastes like they filled a bottle with sugar, then poured in as much beer as the sugar would absorb. That's sweet. I don't count a beer as sweet unless it's half as sweet as a Rumpkin.

nc41, Prince_Casual and sulldaddy like this.
  20. Ryan4120

Ryan4120 Devotee (466) Dec 17, 2014 Virginia

Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate stout is incredible. Also, any of the Blackwater series from Southern Tier. Rogue's double chocolate is also quite good.

sulldaddy likes this.
  21. HopsAreDaMan

HopsAreDaMan Defender (638) Jul 28, 2015 Missouri
    Society

If you like both mint and chocolate, Southern Tier's Thick Mint is pretty amazing: not amazing as an imperial stout--there are a number of other better stouts on the market--but amazing at how mintly and chocolaty it is.

22. CaptainHate

CaptainHate Zealot (533) Apr 22, 2006 Ohio

Ordinarily I'd agree with Southern Tier except last weekend I had an Untitled Art / Mikerphone Horchata Milk Stout that was brutally sweet with milk chocolate flavors among others. Probably not regularly available so go with Southern Tier.

sulldaddy likes this.
  23. JrGtr

JrGtr Disciple (376) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

Youngs Double Chocolate (yeah, another vote for that...) is one that you will likely enjoy as well.
    The Southern Tier Choklat and their Crème Brulee your friend might like, but make sure you have insulin handy.

ScottK22, RobNewton and sulldaddy like this.
  24. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (236) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti is not a thing anymore...:cry:

sulldaddy likes this.
  25. 57md

57md Poo-Bah (2,441) Aug 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Try Avery Plank'd. It's diabetes in a bottle.

bbtkd and sulldaddy like this.
  26. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,285) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

And it wasn't very sweet...
    I'll echo chokolat and plank'd and add in weldwerks stouts. I had their brownie batter stout, and was surprised how little it tasted like beer and how much it tasted like brownie batter. Not my bag, I like beer, but for someone with a sweet tooth who dislikes beer this may be the perfect option.

sulldaddy, PapaGoose03 and Hoos78 like this.
  27. bbtkd

Society Trader

I've given up trying to convert non-beer-lovers since it only frustrates both parties. If your buddy were a BMC drinker and you wanted to get them into craft, that would be totally doable. Perhaps your buddy would prefer some Bailey's Irish Cream as there are a number of flavor variants, all of which are pretty sweet. There are other liqueurs that are similarly sweet.

28. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (236) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

Boulder Shake is a possibility

29. Troutbeerbum

Troutbeerbum Initiate (162) Dec 5, 2016 Maine

This.

RobNewton and bbtkd like this.
  30. Dweedlebug

Dweedlebug Disciple (340) Feb 28, 2012 Pennsylvania

Could try Moo-Hoo by Terrapin Brewing

sulldaddy likes this.
  31. sulldaddy

sulldaddy Poo-Bah (3,302) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Im not trying to convert. He is Venezuelan amd love his rum. He said he doesnt like beer and now its like a challenge for me. He is very amicable about it and enjoys trying the beers.
    Just havent found the winner yet. Which would be something that he asks for a second pour of into his glass.

I appreciate all the tips and am going to look for Souther Tier first as they are a shelfie here so can find.
    May chase a couple other suggestions via trade.
    Thanks BA 'ers!!

PapaGoose03 and bbtkd like this.
  32. bbtkd

Society Trader

Might want to seek a Rum Barrel Aged Stout. Some have chocolate, such as Prairie Pirate Bomb. Unfortunately it can be tough to find and it's brewery-only this year. Might be able to trade for some.

sulldaddy likes this.
  33. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Poo-Bah (1,899) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Trader

Another on for Southern Tier.
    And though not specifically chocolate, Shebeen has some dessert beers. They are right here in CT.

34. miniditka77

miniditka77 Initiate (146) May 21, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Mikerphone's recent Taking Back Sundae tasted like straight hot fudge (with some peanuts up front). Not exactly "readily available," but there's plenty of it out there, and it trades pretty easily.

sulldaddy likes this.
  35. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (687) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Patron chocolate......I prefer the coffee version

If they dont like beer its ok.

Its about being able to hang out with good friends every chance you get.

Enjoy

36. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,267) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado

Southern Tier wins for readily available items.
    If we're talking "anything goes" - some of those Weldwerks pastry series beers might be even more so. Ditto with Evil Twin's various "break" items.

37. paulys55

paulys55 Devotee (491) Aug 2, 2010 Pennsylvania

The sweetest i've had was Hubbard's Cave Coffee & Cakes. If you want to get an idea of how sweet it is, take a bottle of Hershey's Chocolate Syrup, dump a third of it out, fill with sugar and enjoy...diabetes. There are very few beers in my nearly 30 year history that I have not been able to finish, but this one beat me. YMMV

cavedave and sulldaddy like this.
  38. Scottsbeer

Trader

OP stated "readily available" therefore I stand by Southern Tier.

39. DrumKid003

DrumKid003 Aspirant (222) Aug 10, 2013 Oklahoma

I'm just going to say NO to this. The new Boulevard Chocolate Ale is a shadow of what the beer was a few years ago when they stopped producing it. The beer itself is a lot lighter colored than it used to be. The body of the beer is quite a bit thinner and a lot less rich (due to the lack of Chocolate and other heavy dark malts in the previously iteration).

HopsAreDaMan and sulldaddy like this.
  40. bbtkd

Society Trader

I've only had the new Boulevard Chocolate, and it left me asking "where's the chocolate?".

sulldaddy likes this.