Sweetwater IPA

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by rival178, Jul 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rival178

rival178 Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2009 Oklahoma

Im drinking a sweetwater ipa trying to figure out the taste. There is a definite different taste to other ipa's. Is that a pine taste? Not looking for the super technical answer, just that major taste that comes through compared to most other ipa's.

Thanks for the help
    Matt

2. rival178

rival178 Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2009 Oklahoma

Maybe it is citrus. I'm just not sure. Still learning these taste.

3. domnalbrecc

domnalbrecc Aspirant (209) Jan 31, 2012 Pennsylvania

When I first started drinking beer (and had to learn to taste quickly because of my job), I found it helpful to drink a beer on my own, making notes of what I tasted, and then going back and comparing those notes to other reviews here on BA. It really helped me hone my ability to describe what I was tasting.
    Cheers!

4. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2007 Minnesota

Mail me one and I'll help you out with your riddle...

VonZipper and TommyLiam like this.
  5. xShoWTeKx

xShoWTeKx Disciple (318) Jan 21, 2013 South Carolina

Probably a flowery taste, at least that is what the strongest flavor is for me with some citrus and a little spice/pine.

6. cadizkyguy

cadizkyguy Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2008 Kentucky

Personally, Sweetwater IPA is one of my favorites and fortunately I can usually find it at the Kroger off Wilma Rudolph Blvd in Clarksville, TN... this is an unusual IPA, in that it doesn't sock you in the mouth with hop bitterness. I find it a kind of mellow IPA, not as up front as a Bell's Two Hearted but delicious none the less.

7. Giantspace

Giantspace Meyvn (1,030) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Grapefruit

Wish it was available here.

Enjoy

Photekut and Smoky54 like this.
  8. fuzzbalz

fuzzbalz Disciple (340) Apr 13, 2002 Georgia

Yea, grapefruit and other citrus is what I get. Prob the best ipa from Georgia, imho.

Hopportunistic likes this.
  9. rudyarmand

rudyarmand Aspirant (200) May 31, 2005 Georgia

It tastes like detergent.

10. Hopportunistic

Hopportunistic Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2013 North Carolina

I drink this frequently here in AL due to its' year-round availability here in grocery stores. I taste grapefruit in it as well. Or it could be the special water Sweetwater gets from the Chattahoochee river over there in ATL. Seriously, a relatively balanced, drinkable, and reasonably-priced IPA. Cheers !

11. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,105) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Can you be more specific? Which brand?

Photekut and Bluecane like this.
  12. Stinkypuss

Stinkypuss Initiate (0) Apr 7, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

13. huhl23

huhl23 Initiate (0) May 27, 2011 Georgia

Grapefruit. My favorite ipa.

14. CurtisMcArthur

CurtisMcArthur Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2009 Tennessee

We dryhop the hell out of this beer with simcoe. My personal fav from out year round lineup. I get some pine like others have stated, but also a citrusy grapefruit more than anything. Everyone "tastes" beer differently so there's no right or wrong way. Glad you enjoy it!

Cheers!

Curtis McArthur
    TN Sales Manager
    SweetWater Brewing Co.

15. JohnBender

JohnBender Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2012 Texas

I've always thought floral.

xShoWTeKx likes this.
  16. JimKal

JimKal Zealot (540) Jul 31, 2011 North Carolina

I like the IPA but I would really like to see it in cans one day. Are there any plans for a canning line?

17. jcb7472

jcb7472 Zealot (525) Jul 13, 2011 Florida

We just got this beer down in South Florida a couple of months ago and since it's available at all the grocery stores in town for usually around $8 a six-pack, and CCB Jai Alai has been scarce to non-existent, I've been drinking the hell out of this stuff so far this summer. It tastes fantastic when it's fresh - definitely a grapefruit bomb with a touch of pine. I also agree it's the best of Sweetwater's year-round lineup.

My request for JimKal and his colleagues is to start sending the Dank Tank series down here.

18. CurtisMcArthur

CurtisMcArthur Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2009 Tennessee

Hopefully next summer but no promises.

19. ThaCriddler

ThaCriddler Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2009 West Virginia

To me it's a straight up pineapple bomb.

20. cadizkyguy

cadizkyguy Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2008 Kentucky

Cans would be a great way to go... Again, I am elated when I can find Sweetwater IPA in my travels... Your 420 pale ale is also quite tasty and would be a good candidate for canning.

21. PALMEJ1

PALMEJ1 Initiate (0) Dec 8, 2008 Alabama

The south's best IPA in my humble opinion.

Hopportunistic likes this.
  22. Luckytiki

Luckytiki Initiate (0) Jul 15, 2010 Indiana

I frequented that Kroger all the time when I lived up the road from it... I don't ever remember them having it! Damn apparently I missed out or distro has gotten better there in the last year.

23. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Champion (891) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia

It's the simcoe hops. It's the piney resin flavor that follows with some grapefruit.

Good IPA when it's fresh. I'm 30 minutes from the brewery and I struggle to find the shit younger than 3-4 weeks in most places, which I think it flat out unacceptable, but I'm sure they bottle and store it in their cold room before the distributors get their paws on it and move it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.