News Swiss beer drinkers pour Wicked Weed beer in street.

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Miles_in_beer_city, May 18, 2017.

1. Miles_in_beer_city

Miles_in_beer_city Disciple (307) Jun 18, 2014 North Carolina
    Subscriber

Zorro and BJB13 like this.
  2. woodchipper

woodchipper Defender (675) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Subscriber

Wow, and I thought that country was neutral.

3. Miles_in_beer_city

Subscriber

Not when it comes to their beer!

4. Brolo75

Brolo75 Poo-Bah (1,502) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

The money will win out because ABI will expand distribution and I believe that will at least translate into a profit from initial sales. Also, as I've read in other posts on BA, ABI will also profit from tourists visiting Wicked Weed in Asheville.

5. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Zealot (518) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader Subscriber

Must be tough living in Switzerland and having to drink InBev owned WW beer. Whaaaaaaaaaa.....Get a life MF'ers. o_O

eldoctorador likes this.
  6. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (2,738) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania

In another thread I posted:

"In the past few weeks there have been lots of ABI bashing with plenty of conspiracy theories being advocated. I am personally not a fan of ABI's Marketing & Sales practices but the level of ABI bashing of late is approaching the level of hysteria."

Apparently this hysteria is not confined to the US?:(

Cheers!

7. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (246) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

The incident happened May 11 at the Biercafé Au Trappiste pub, customer Urs Meier told Xpress in a Wednesday, May 17, email conversation. He says the events began when the café’s owner decided he “did not want the beer in his bar” any longer and discounted his remaining stock to 1 Swiss franc per bottle, down from its usual price of 7 or 8 francs. A Swiss franc is currently worth U.S. $1.02.

Wow, 7 or 8 bucks for a Wicked Weed bottle at a bar in Switzerland? It's almost like Wicked Weed is cheaper there than here.

8. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (551) Mar 28, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Meanwhile the bar next door took their allocations....

Loops likes this.
  9. Urk1127

Urk1127 Savant (992) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

"Some strangers in another country did some things" I care less every day. I get it but don't get why it's news. Every brewery that gets a buy in, gets some kind of disrespect. It's not really news. Also it's wasteful. Even at a dollar. If someone gets their "idea/work" shit on elsewhere there's gonna be a parade about it. Good for wicked weed. Maybe I'll actually see some distro now. If they want to sell and make money that's their prerogative.

#9 Urk1127, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
    CaptainHate, Loops and Dragginballs76 like this.
  10. cg123

cg123 Initiate (138) Feb 27, 2012 Ohio

Ever been to Switzerland? It is a crazy expensive country. But also crazy beautiful.

11. captaincoffee

captaincoffee Meyvn (1,148) Jul 10, 2011 United Kingdom (England)

A. Throwing out good beer is stupid.
    B. The customers dumping the beer were making a whopping $1.02 protest.
    C. The bar owner probably didn't have that many bottles in stock, so his protest didn't likely cost much either.
    D. I can understand NC locals getting pissed over this, but the f'ing Swiss? Its almost enough to make me stop buying $20K Jaeger-LeCoultre watches and hiding money in their banks. Damn it, I got so upset I scratched my iPhone 7 with my giant diamond ring again.

12. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,139) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

"Beer Drinkers Spill Beer" doesn't make the papers around these parts, even on slow news days.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  13. lordofthemark

lordofthemark Aspirant (276) Jan 28, 2015 Virginia

Perhaps it is because ABI. A. Continues to buy out independent craft brewers. B. Is doing things with ingredient supplies that in addition to destroying (?) one independent business, raise larger issues related to vertical integration C. After the SABMILLER acquisition, has a larger share of the global beer market than before.

IOW maybe it is more than hysteria. Even if concerns about ABI are downplayed here.

Miles_in_beer_city likes this.
  14. JackHorzempa

And ABI will continue to do so as part of their business strategy. With 1-2 new craft breweries opening every day there is no reason to be overly concerned here. There will be more and more independent craft breweries making beer for us to enjoy.
    Yes, this issue has been discussed a lot. The South African hop crop had poor yields this year, The 2017 crop will be sold to craft breweries in South Africa. ABI indicated that if the 2018 crop is non-poor they will be able to share this crop with US craft breweries.
    Which was approved by the US DOJ and other similar worldwide authorities.

Cheers!

Loops and drtth like this.
  15. Miles_in_beer_city

Subscriber

Please name the first government bureaucratic agency that ever took the side of the little guy, in any industry or service.

16. JackHorzempa

As part of the deal for ABI to purchase SABMiller, the DOJ:

“...the proposed Final Judgment prohibits ABI from... acquiring a distributor if the acquisition would cause more than 10% of ABI's beer in the United States to be sold through ABI-owned distributors;”

That restriction is helpful to the “little guys” of the brewing industry.

Cheers!

drtth likes this.
  17. Miles_in_beer_city

Subscriber

And very helpful for the non-ABI owned distributors, not necessarily little guys.

18. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (2,910) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Here's one for you.

https://www.sba.gov

A second would be the US Trademarks and Patent office which gives priority to date of filing for registry and not size of business. So more than one small business has benefitted from doing their homework first.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  19. rgordon

rgordon Defender (677) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Elizabeth Warren: Consumer Financial Protection Bureau... The previous incarnation of the EPA?

drtth likes this.
  20. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (246) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

We were planning on going this summer, until we saw the prices. We opted for Northern Italy instead.
    That's another reason I was so surprised that a Wicked Weed beer would be so cheap there.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.

Learn More
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.

Learn More
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Learn More