Switching between Co2 and Air on a keg

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by Chloebelle987, Jan 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chloebelle987

Chloebelle987 Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2020 New York

Okay all you great minds out there, I need some advice. Now that I have a wonderful kegerator set up in my garage, my mind is now thinking about portability. Our friends are always getting together at each others houses. I was thinking about buying a picnic tap to be used when we visit and This would allow us to bring a sixth along of something nice...

If I do this in the least expensive way, I would be pulling the beer off the co2 and then using an air pump on the tap to pressurize the keg. Then returning the beer to co2 when I return home... Any thoughts on what this might do to the beer? Let's assume temp and motion variables would be minimum.

Another couple of routes would be to use a tap with the 16 gram co2 cartridges, or actually bringing my backup co2 tank with me.

I have many more thoughts and ideas on this but would love to hear what anyone thinks, good or bad?

Thanks

Mr. Chloebelle

2. riptorn

riptorn Maven (1,410) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Not that my mind is great.....
    1) backup tank
    2) 16g cartridge(s)
    3) hand pump, but only if you think the keg will kick during the get together or you're okay with taking oxygen infused beer back home.

3. DougC123

DougC123 Savant (1,162) Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut

Hand pump is a no no. Moving the keg around might seem like a really cool idea, it’s not. Heavy when full, and you need excellent control of temps to prevent foaming which you won’t have. Best bet to be the cool beer guy is a cooler and fill growlers.

4. billandsuz

billandsuz Pooh-Bah (2,023) Sep 1, 2004 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society

As said, air will spoil your beer in about 24 hours. Once you apply oxygen to beer it's over and their ain't no going back. And it is a very noticeable sort of spoiled too. Oxygen spoils beer. You may as well put a lighter to a pile of cash. Serious.

The best way to serve keg beer is in on a draft system, so a kegerator.
    After that you can consider a jockey box. These are not cheap and not ideal but work very well for short periods. The biggest drawback is that you pressurize the keg to over 30 psi while it is on the J-box, but these are not meant to serve draft beer for much more than a day. So you kick the keg at the party or you have really carbonated keg beer for the next 3 weeks.

And as @DougC123 noted, a full half bbl is over 145 pounds. And needs to be kept cold. It's an honest PITA hauling kegs to parties. You'll be buying so much friggin' ice and draining so much friggin' water, not to mention tying down a friggin' mini submarine as the keg empties, it's a hassle.

After that, Crowlers and Growlers, lots of them.

Cheers

IceAce and Chloebelle987 like this.
  5. Chloebelle987

Thanks for the input. Appreciate it. Glad to have learned about the o2 information regarding spoiling the beer.

6. mikehartigan

mikehartigan Maven (1,397) Apr 9, 2007 Illinois

It might trigger a nostalgia trip as the taste transports you back to your college days and the second day after the kegger when the beer tasted like ...crap.

Chloebelle987 likes this.
  7. JrGtr

JrGtr Pooh-Bah (1,689) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

Like others, your last choice should be using an air pump.
    A backup tank with regulator should be your best option - especially if you can get there in time to get the keg into a bucket of ice and let it settle back down.
    CO2 cartridges are |OK, but you can't regulate the amount of pressure you're using. It works, but you'll likely have lower than expected carbonation.

Chloebelle987 likes this.
  8. Chloebelle987

Thanks everyone for kicking in on this topic. I appreciate the advice.

9. Chloebelle987

Yep had to finish it even if it tasted like S**T

10. mikehartigan

mikehartigan Maven (1,397) Apr 9, 2007 Illinois

Hey, alcohol is alcohol! Am I right? :nauseated_face:

11. Chloebelle987

Back then it sure was... not so much anymore!

mikehartigan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.