SWTFYW Hints and Hauls!!!

Discussion in 'Beer It Forward' started by Cuzco, Aug 1, 2013.

1. LehighAce06

LehighAce06 Champion (828) Jul 31, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Does anyone have any input on Bomb! from Prairie? I'm specifically trying to decide which of the bottles (one no wax, current batch; or orange wax, previous batch) I should keep if I'm going to trade one away.

Anything is helpful, one batch was better than the other, or "fresher is better" (a la WCMH or BCBCS) vs "aged is better" (a la Mephistopheles or Stone IRS) ... I wish I had bought more than one waxed one/a second unwaxed (thank you to @wiingman for the unwaxed one I did get) but either way I think it's worth letting go of one for a Brother Soigne (or is it, if anyone would like to tell me it isn't I might listen)

RayOhioFelton likes this.
  2. TastyDelicousness

TastyDelicousness Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2013 Illinois

So a little business before I post the pron.....my targets box was not delivered today as they stated the recipient was not there/business was closed. They are attempting to deliver tomorrow. Let's keep fingers crossed!

So came home and wife says, "Another box showed up today. I think it's beer!" You bet your sweet ass it's beer and then some!
    [​IMG]

Forest & Main - Manu Negra
    Sweet glass to drink the above
    Flying Fish - Exit 16
    Yuengling - Lager(one of my favs that I don't get enough of). Silly distro laws
    Tired Hands - Hophands
    Another sweet glass to drink the above

Cheers to my sender. Perhaps one day I can make a dent in your driveway (wish I knew who you were)

3. anticipation23

anticipation23 Initiate (0) May 2, 2013 Wisconsin

Dude that TH glass is sick! Awesome box!

4. TastyDelicousness

Not sure which is better / worse, as each I have had does not disappoint. I have some extras as I have mules in OK so if you want I can ship you a few extras. Just drop me a line. I have orange wax, no wax, white tape.

5. TastyDelicousness

Yeah sure is. Was surprised by that little nugget.

6. LehighAce06

Trader

I guess I forgot the note I typed... I was hoping you'd enjoy the Yuengling, not only is it quintessential summer drinkin'
    around these parts, but I saw you had ticked the Porter, Black & Tan and Lord Chesterfield, so I thought I'd give you a chance to complete the set (not counting Light Lager...)

The Manu Negra is a 900 bottle release of a sour saison, I enjoyed it and I hope you will too! Gotta love #properglassware.

Lastly, I owe you an apology re: the TH tits. That one is one of mine that has been used a few times (and carefully hand-washed) ... While I was getting the growler I purchased a glass for you but they neglected to put it in the box, so without a chance to get back there I had the choice of skipping it or sending a gently used one, I hope you can forgive me. I also feel like a dumbass for sending HopHands instead of Fourth Level.... in retrospect this is quite a 'duh' but I hope you enjoy it just the same.

7. ufmj

ufmj Initiate (0) Feb 15, 2013 Florida

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

8. Houser

Houser Defender (647) Sep 10, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

the box to my target will be landing tomorrow as well. he must have really wanted some patriotic undies.

RayOhioFelton and ufmj like this.
  9. zekeman17

zekeman17 Crusader (744) Feb 14, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Right--BIF in a box--at first I thought somebody was due a shit-ton of spiders.

RayOhioFelton, jshusc and Haywire like this.
  10. Houser

Trader

trade with @mborden for a few 4packs of heady t. the other 2 were extras! :grimacing:
    [​IMG]
    thanks mike!

11. Indytruks138

Indytruks138 Initiate (0) Jun 28, 2013 Texas

My 444 box lands tomorrow to THE OG, I tried to send high quality brews as a thank you from us all for starting this magical world of SWTFYW.

12. jpsboom

jpsboom Initiate (0) Dec 30, 2013 New Jersey

Jarrod (@CTJman ) think in passed you driving today :grinning:

[​IMG]

13. Houser

Trader

haha, one of the funnier posts in a while, and by that i mean since page 420.

RayOhioFelton and Indytruks138 like this.
  14. CTJman

CTJman Champion (825) Jan 14, 2013 Connecticut
    Trader

Damn you guys talk to much. I can't keep up

RayOhioFelton and TheBeerAlmanac like this.
  15. CTJman

CTJman Champion (825) Jan 14, 2013 Connecticut
    Trader

Saw this commercial today

16. Houser

Trader

you just read too slow.

17. zekeman17

Trader

Just a heads up--I'm thinking about a SWTFYW Trivia LIF for our first anniversary.
    A bunch of random trivia questions from the last year, I'd post it up on the 31st and
    let the guessing begin. Most right within 24 hours wins, tiebreaker to the earlier response.
    Who remembers page 117?

18. Houser

Trader

open book exam?

RayOhioFelton and zekeman17 like this.
  19. Brewzma

Brewzma Aspirant (290) Jun 2, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

I think I destroyed a clue to another member in there during my exhuming of the goods. I do believe that box came to me from @Houser, to add another layer to the SWTFYW-ception.

And glad you liked the contents. It was so hard to stay within the rules...

RayOhioFelton and zekeman17 like this.
  20. Brewzma

Brewzma Aspirant (290) Jun 2, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

And while my box landed, I was on the receiving end of a great 444th box from the Great @Haywire
    [​IMG]
    KANE A Night to End All Dawns (AWESOME!!!)
    Deschutes Mirror Mirror (haven't had but what isn't great by them?)
    Westbrook Gose (Gose down so good)
    Heady (needs no notification - permawant amazingness)
    Carton Monkey Chased the Weasel (looks great, can't wait to try)

Thanks Bob! Looking forward to a delicious 4th!

21. Houser

Trader

As i see some of these boxes from the 444 bif land, I'm beginning to think i under achieved.

22. mborden

mborden Initiate (185) Jan 28, 2009 New York

I think that's exactly what @Ol_Johnny_Skippelwicky didn't want, so hold that head high holmes. Free beer is free! JUST LIKE AMERICA!

RayOhioFelton, Houser, ufmj and 5 others like this.
  23. zekeman17

Trader

Yep, all 421+ pages. Remember, speed counts in case of a tie.

24. Dicers

Dicers Poo-Bah (1,817) Sep 2, 2012 California
    Fest Crew Society Trader

Leaving for HTX as you all know. Met up with @bruindre to give him a nocturn. We ended up at a bar with this

[​IMG]
    07 Iris

25. bruindre

bruindre Defender (646) Jun 20, 2009 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Y
    Yeah...it's a hard knock life.

26. Mipper

Mipper Aspirant (233) Dec 14, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

PrOn courtesy of @anticipation23 Thanks for the "peaches"

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

First time posting a photo....please help this old man out if it doesn't show :slight_frown:

27. Kwaide

Kwaide Initiate (0) Jul 11, 2012 Virginia

Well I guess today I just a FML kinda day. Car has been in the shop basically 3 days strait And several hundred dollars. while on a short trip to buy a bike from a CL ad (3 hrs) later my car over heats and my wife and I get stranded in nowheresville. 4 hours later I am finally home. My question to you guys is if your basement floods messing up your beer storage, spent all day in a service station to have you shit mobile take a dump an hour from home. What beer do you drink to unsuck the night

28. Dicers

Fest Crew Society Trader

2007 cantillon iris

29. TastyDelicousness

This.....I thought I was the only one who felt this way.

30. bruindre

bruindre Defender (646) Jun 20, 2009 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

Houser, zekeman17 and mborden like this.
  31. Dicers

Fest Crew Society Trader

Jesus is pretty cool. I met him during this messag........

32. Justinsosmart

Justinsosmart Initiate (0) May 14, 2013 California

Regular BCBS, that beer is magic

33. Steve_Oldrati

Steve_Oldrati Initiate (0) Nov 1, 2012 Pennsylvania

[​IMG]

There you go. Next time just copy the "IMG" code next to the picture on Photobucket and paste it right in. Cheers!

34. LehighAce06

Trader

So we're thoroughly on the wrong side of 3am. I woke up this morning in Houston at about 8am with a slight hangover and complete disregard for the fact that I had luggage to pack and 12-shippers to get fedex-ready. Eventually I get a start on these tasks only to realize I need to depart for my client lunch sooner than I'll be finished, courtesy late checkout is awesome.

The client picked a local burger joint, counter service, rickety chairs (and good burgers, I give them credit for that) ... we would've taken them anywhere they wanted to go, and this is where they chose... Afterward, I somehow get out of the hotel room by my new checkout time, take about 100 pounds (shhh, they think it's 60 lbs) over 3 boxes to the fedex store then proceed to the airport.

6 hours later my flight takes off, and I'm finally back in Philadelphia by about 12:30. Do not try to rent a car from Enterprise at 1am during a holiday week, they won't have any. This took me about an hour and a half to find out since the 3 employees operated at the speed of 1 + a retarded turtle. $100 cab ride home and here I am.

35. LehighAce06

Trader

......[/rant]

Thankfully, I am greeted at home by a box that does not contain wolf spiders, but instead contains well-wishes for my holiday, which are appreciated. These well wishes were from none other than @jshusc, and I now understand why "ironic ninjas are ironic" much better than before, since he sent an "ironic beer" box to me.

[​IMG]

So, I appreciate that he's trying to send me some "ironic" beers, but I would have much preferred beers I can drink.

I'm not sure why anyone would put doggie claws in a beer, I have a dog and his claws are disgusting. I threw this one away already.

Barrel Aged Baltic Porter... do they even have barrels in the baltics? This is too confusing so I'll probably give it to my dog, maybe he'll drink it, or maybe my 1 year old will dump it all over before he gets to it.

Mexican Cake???? Do Mexicans even eat cake? I've never seen one do it, so I'll assume no. Again, this makes no sense so I'm just going to give it to my dog.

Next, Velvet Merkin. This is in a box, and since it says on the box that it's a merkin, I'm not even going to open it and will throw this one away as well. Just gross Joel, gross.

Lastly, a piece of glassware from a brewery I've never heard of, and no #properbeerforproperglassware, so this does me no good and has also been thrown away.

I appreciate your attempt, but unfortunately you'll have to try a little harder next time and send something I actually want.

36. LehighAce06

Trader

This.
    I think he didn't want people feeling badly because they didn't send enough... feeling inadequate over the quality of your box is another thing altogether. This is a sentiment I'm very familiar with, and apologize to @TastyDelicousness accordingly.

37. Haywire

Haywire Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2012 California

Gents, let's take a step back for a sec and try to take in what this SWTFYW community is all about. I don't know if I speak for all but I like to think this encompasses the group, or at least the OG mindset.

This wild group started out as a simple BIF. Most BIFs don't get past a few hundred posts before they die out. Why does it happen? Who knows? My thoughts on it are that people tend to get into these things not only to try new beer but in hopes of landing an uber whale from an overly generous BA. Folks send out a box and hope to get a mega bomb in return.

When we all joined up for SWTFYW, we came in with the mindset that we could end up with a 6 pack of aged Lime-A-Rita's. The rule was that there was basically no rules. No minimum BA score. Simply send 144oz of beer. Ridiculous boxes began to land all over the country and the generosity of the group began to become apparent. Sure, some folks sent better boxes than others but everyone was still more than overjoyed with what they got.

We all need to remember that not everyone in here has access to whales. Not everyone can afford to have a ridiculous cellar. Not everyone can afford to send a case of extras. None of that matters in this group. No one here is trying to win a trade (or at least I hope they're not). 'Winning' in this group is defined as seeing that the recipient of your box is overjoyed with what you sent them.

I know @Ol_Johnny_Skippelwicky meant well with his limitation requirement and I understand the desire to have everyone stick to it. But you've got to understand that those that broke that limit didn't do it to win the BIF or make the recipient look bad, they did it to brighten someone's day.

So, for BIFs and LIFs going forward, I hope no one out there feels guilted into one upping their sender or someone else. Send what you can afford. If someone sends you 30 extras and you can only afford to send 5, then so be it. What matters the most when sending is how much thought you put into it. Sounds very cliche but in this group, it's the thought that counts.

And now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

38. Marti403

Marti403 Initiate (0) Jul 23, 2011 Michigan

Soooooooo.....I didn't win? :wink:

39. Dicers

Fest Crew Society Trader

Bobby T with the voice of reason

Houser and Haywire like this.
  40. Haywire

Haywire Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2012 California

BiaB Distance LIF Update:

Updated Map: http://goo.gl/maps/7ZR7w

Total Distance Traveled: 32,113

# of Participants Remaining (including me): 3

BIF in a Box Beers plus Stops:

Prairie Ale (1st Stop)
    Ithaca Luminous (1st Stop)
    Hoppin' Frog Infusion A (1st Stop)
    Bruery Three French Hens (4th Stop)
    Prairie Noir (2nd Stop)
    New Holland Dragons Milk w/ Toasted Chiles (5th Stop)
    Karbach Clown Lounge (2nd Stop)
    Karbach Hellfighter (3rd Stop)
    Pelican Mother of All Storms (1st Stop)
    Hardywood Bourbon Barleywine (3rd Stop)
    Captain Lawrence Rosa (1st Stop)
    Firestone Walker Parabola (2nd Stop)

@Kwaide, any one of the ones listed in red are available to take as a 7th. Only 3 more participants left including me: @jpsboom, @jdhowe and me.

Here's a list of LIF participants and their guesstimates:

@bruindre - 33,721
    @shrek806 - 34,343.43
    @Kwaide - 37,501
    @jfstilling - 38,450
    @Steve_Oldrati - 39,476.25
    @zekeman17 - 39,640
    @TheBeerAlmanac - 40,120
    @BorisKarloff - 41,102
    @Coldsnack - 41,111
    @Haywire - 42,650
    @UtisTheLaw - 44,816
    @IPAFan521 - 44,928

By my estimate, I think either @shrek806 or @Kwaide win this LIF.

zekeman17 and BorisKarloff like this.