SWTFYW Hints and Hauls!!!

Discussion in 'Beer It Forward' started by Cuzco, Aug 1, 2013.

1. zookerman182

zookerman182 Oct 8, 2013 Alabama

Taking a bomber of moohoochiato to the dome this afternoon so I'll see what that's all about.
    Thought the white chocolate was okay and I really liked the cinnamon rolled.

Cigar city has yet to disappoint me. Even the cucumber saison was ballin

blue-dream likes this.
  2. LehighAce06

LehighAce06 Jul 31, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I thought CRWnB was awesome it just has to open up a little, my first impression was pretty 'meh' but after a minute it was much more nuanced. The WCMH I had was a cardboard bomb... not a beer meant to be sat on for 6-8 months. Cucumber Saison had ridiculously spot-on cucumber flavor but barely tasted like 'beer' to me, not that this is a horrible thing, it was pleasant just not what I expected. Oddly enough I've had CRWnB and Cucumber each only once; at the same bottle share.

zookerman182 likes this.
  3. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Feb 12, 2012 Georgia

MoohooChiato is really good. People love it and hate it for being Terrapin, but I really, really liked it. Smooth, creamy, nice espresso, good sweetness.. Needed more body but solid.

4. Mipper

Mipper Dec 14, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Have you had Heirloom Pumpkin? I have a GGA and 2 Heirlooms I am waiting to try.

A VERY good additional one is Selins Grove's pumpkin, but it is draft only.

Justinsosmart and ColdOne like this.
  5. phishbfm

phishbfm Dec 4, 2010 North Carolina

:slight_frown: I'm actually in the playoffs in my other 3 leagues...something about this one...I'll be back next season!
    Sweet...those are nice tits, thanks for the info. Normally I'd take you up on it, but...
    :grimacing::grimacing::grimacing::grimacing::grimacing: Fo real?! I will definitely take you up on that. Runs to fedex dot com. Thanks, dude.

*writes in notebook*

Theortiz01 and Dicers like this.
  6. ripps1

ripps1 Aug 28, 2012 New Jersey

I really enjoyed Moo-hooChiato. Hoping I can score some French toast WnB

LehighAce06 and FATC1TY like this.
  7. FATC1TY

Me too. It's hit ATL, but I"m south of the city, and hoping to find some next week, hopefully. I only got one bottle last year of the WnB variant, so hoping for more to share with others.

blue-dream likes this.
  8. LehighAce06

Trader

After seeing Seth's offer, I thought you might say that

phishbfm likes this.
  9. XmnwildX12

XmnwildX12 Nov 12, 2010 Minnesota
    Society Trader

The category was something about books, ColdOne's avatar pops up and I start getting all giddy as everyone has no fucking clue what I am talking about. I was like, "Hey, its ColdOne!" and then I mistakenly thought it was Ernest Hemingway and picked the answer that most matched his name (The Importance of Being Ernest About Gun Control or something) lol

PA-Michigander and ColdOne like this.
  10. phishbfm

phishbfm Dec 4, 2010 North Carolina

:wink:

11. FATC1TY

So busy, Im still drinking this Sunny side up from 12:30 this afternoon.... lol

blue-dream and Dicers like this.
  12. LehighAce06

Trader

@jdhowe has said he's bringing it to BS2.0 at the very least, you'll make it to that, right?

Worth savoring.

FATC1TY likes this.
  13. ColdOne

ColdOne Jan 19, 2013 New York
    Trader

@Mipper, that Almanac is pretty special. Enjoy it.

Also:
    @XmnwildX12 just proved that SWTFYW can be both personally rewarding AND educational. (BTW: answer=Oscar Wilde, my double doppelgänger)

14. Brewzma

Brewzma Jun 2, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

I'd wear the shit out of that shirt.

I also still wish it was possible to buy this Surly shirt
    [​IMG]

15. richardflyr

richardflyr Jul 28, 2009 Connecticut
    Trader

Hey FYI for any BIF boxes that someone might send my way, I'll be traveling from Dec 15th and not back until the 29th. Might not be a good time to be sending me stuff.

16. LehighAce06

Trader

@Mipper is Selin's Grove tap only for all their beer? Looking at their page they look pretty awesome but I've never seen bottles personally... if they are tap only, do they fill growlers? As long as they bottle or at least growler their beer, consider me ISO :slight_smile:

17. ripps1

ripps1 Aug 28, 2012 New Jersey

I'll be at BS 2.0. Can't wait to meet you all

Steve_Oldrati, end_27, Houser and 3 others like this.
  18. Mipper

Mipper Dec 14, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

As far as I am aware they are tap/growler fills only. They are an hour or so away from me and I was able to stop in while traveling by it for work. Most of what they do is good, some very good. Unfortunately the pumpkin was nitro and was on tap only. It was fantastic!

Houser likes this.
  19. mborden

mborden Jan 28, 2009 New York

Hey guys. Just popping in to say hi. Damn I forgot how looooong this thread is haha. Since I was last here I lost my job and got a new one, so I was out of the loop for a while. I'm currently sipping on a Celebration, putting up a Christmas tree with the wife, and listening to the "A Charlie Brown Christmas" album. I just wanted to say that I think you're all swell.

20. Dicers

Dicers Sep 2, 2012 California
    Fest Crew Society Trader

had GGA fresh and this year. The booze has calmed down quite a bit this year. I think it peaked this year. I imagine it going down hill a bit as the spices will start to fall after this year.

Agree with people that say cinnamon roll wake and bake is better warm. Had my last bottle recently and the cinnamon is almost all gone tastes pretty similar to regular wake and bake. The moohochiato was great. Have high hopes for French Toast wake. Had a bottle of wcmh that was the only bottle that broke on the move down to Texas. Haven't heard great things about it though.

21. ColdOne

Trader

I'm glad to hear you landed safely into a new job. Of course you let me know if/when you're headed down Ithaca way.

mborden and Dicers like this.
  22. LehighAce06

Trader

Howdy! Congrats on the new job! Did you have a different avatar last time we saw you?

mborden likes this.
  23. BuckTuckian

BuckTuckian Dec 19, 2012 Kentucky
    Trader

Got crushed watching OSU crush Wisconsin last night.
    [​IMG]

24. jfstilling

jfstilling Oct 9, 2011 South Carolina

25. FATC1TY

@BuckTuckian

ISO that vanilla cherry ToD!!

Recently had a Oude Tart w/ cherries and was blown away. I have a tart of darkness like beer souring right now.. Planned to put it all in a bourbon barrel with cherries, but I might keep back a half gallon, and add vanilla and cherries and see how that is. It taste exactly the same as ToD, at this point.

26. jdhowe

jdhowe Mar 18, 2013 Georgia

I will have a bomber with me at BS2.0. I managed to snag a few extras this week in an IP trade, so I was excited to see how it was doing.

[​IMG]

I opened one tonight to try out with a friend who helped me move a massive couch today. The wax was nearly impossible to get through, so we probably need to get into it early in the share... otherwise it might become impregnable. It's nice, and marginally better than regular WnB, but the coffee is really prominent and the maple is pretty subdued, but definitely present. I'm really enjoying it, but am hoping that the maple steps forward a bit more with a little age. #VBS

27. LehighAce06

Trader

if the vanilla turns out well, you should try some of the BA version with vanilla too

28. RayOhioFelton

RayOhioFelton May 24, 2011 Ohio
    Deactivated

I saw somewhere if you it the wax in ice for a bit freezes and comes right off...yet to try it.

end_27 and LehighAce06 like this.
  29. LehighAce06

Trader

I've heard of this too. There's also the option of sabering.

mborden likes this.
  30. jdhowe

Do WTFYW. This thing is a wax fortress... it's like 0.5cm of wax.

LehighAce06 likes this.
  31. jshusc

jshusc Aug 16, 2013 South Carolina
    Trader

By the by @jdhowe, I appreciate the previous offer but I'm one of those folks who kinda hates on terrapin. If I got one from you, I would just move it later on so I'll let you keep or move it yourself. The Orpheus brews on the other hand, I'm ISO. My brother in law lives in Atlanta so next time I get up that way, let's get up for a drink!

jdhowe likes this.
  32. BuckTuckian

BuckTuckian Dec 19, 2012 Kentucky
    Trader

It's equally as awesome as oude w/ cherries.
    A buddy is a reserve society member

FATC1TY likes this.
  33. FATC1TY

Indeed.. I'm going for more of a traditional ToD, or more even, Black Angel from Wicked Weed.

Might have to pull 1 gallon of the barrel and add some vanilla.

I've got half a pound of fresh madagascar vanilla beans to use up, anyways.

blue-dream and LehighAce06 like this.
  34. RayOhioFelton

RayOhioFelton May 24, 2011 Ohio
    Deactivated

Aren't you a Ivy League educated engineer? Figure this thing out and tell US what to do....or put the bottle upside down in a cup of ice for 15 minutes and make life easy on yourself!

zekeman17 likes this.
  35. FATC1TY

Let me know what you want from Orpheus.. Jason is a hell of a brewer/owner and they have some STUPIDLY AWESOME stuff comin in the future..

I've said it before, and I'll probably just keep it to myself, but they WILL be the hottest brewery in the south putting out sours and barrel aged beers. Maybe not the most bourbon and rum, and apple brandy stuff, but barrel aged, as in wild barrel aged sours and saisons.

Hill Farmstead of the south... Mark my word.

36. FATC1TY

The double waxed shit from Terrapin is dangerous. You will lose a f'in finger opening the wax on their bottles. Engineer or just flat out redneck, doesn't matter.

37. LehighAce06

Trader

Easier than upside down would be to wrap a towel (a terrible towel, perhaps? :wink:) filled with ice and water around it. Will do the same job without needing to be upside down, disturbing whatever sediment there is.

Also this. I remember the job it was opening the CRWnB

38. Haywire

Haywire Sep 25, 2012 California

After downing my two four packs of Epitome, I can now say I am a big fan of Black IPAs. In fact, it may be my new favorite style. I guess whoever wins @blue-dream LIF can confirm whether I am correct or not.

39. ColdOne

Trader

Psyched to check it out, maybe in the spring. Atlanta was such a beer wasteland when I lived there (1993-1995). I'd just left Seattle, too, which made it even worse. So instead of a $3 Hale's Ale I was looking at a $4 Bud. What crap! Glad to see things are looking up.

40. jdhowe

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA... Ivy League... that was a good laugh. I'm a public school product, through and through. Small public high school in York, PA; Penn State; and UC Berkeley. No Ivy here... I don't want to pay for that shit. :wink: (No, srs... I probably should know how to open a fucking bottle of beer by the time I've suffered through all of these degrees... I should have enough damned practice)

Truth. The double waxing is brutal and beautiful, like lions on the Sarengeti.

Justinsosmart, FATC1TY and Houser like this.