take it easy on the beer/brewery shorthand?

Discussion in 'Trade Talk' started by Sideshow_Luke_Perry, Dec 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sideshow_Luke_Perry

Sideshow_Luke_Perry Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2016 Massachusetts

just a request from a new person interested in trading: please take an extra 10 seconds to type out brewery names! It's not so hard, and without that info we fresh-faced noobs will never learn what to look for.

jrnyc, ktr5010, eppie82 and 5 others like this.
  2. Junior

Junior Defender (698) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

I am a fairly inexperienced trader as well. I have a few under my belt, but definitely nothing that would be considered a 'whale'. I feel your pain and I know that it is annoying. Here is my take: If you don't know what they mean, you probably don't have what it would take to trade for them. Nor do you have access. I'm not trying to be a jerk. I feel the same way.

LA_Hue24, needMIbeer and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  3. Sideshow_Luke_Perry

4. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (2,326) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Trader

I have 100 trades under my belt. I still have to Google or ask about some of the abbreviations. There are a couple of times I have had the abbreviated bottle

eppie82, Lucular, colby600 and 6 others like this.
  5. Vidblain

Vidblain Meyvn (1,135) Feb 17, 2017 Minnesota
    Society Trader

The latest one that has puzzled me - "tick dat handshake". Google has not been terribly helpful.

You'll learn. Keep buying, keep trading. Takes time to catch up on this stuff.

Coons, FFFjunkie and PA-Michigander like this.
  6. PA-Michigander

PA-Michigander Meyvn (1,438) Nov 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Probably from the 12 Days of Christmas BIF which spawned from the Locals BIF on this website.

Easy translation is, 'I've met him/her in person' aka ticked the handshake. Our group is so much more about meeting people, ticking handshakes, and sharing beer than anything else. Almost never talk about 'secondary' or 'value' or 'worth'. We value people over beer and when you see the amount of handshakes that people have acquired it will make sense.

If you're in/near Minneapolis I'd highly recommend that 'dat?' @sembo handshake. It's a whale of a tick, he's an awesome person.

7. Vidblain

Society Trader

Actually know him already - very nice guy!

Cheers for the explanation - I'd assumed as much, but that helps! :grin:

8. PA-Michigander

PA-Michigander Meyvn (1,438) Nov 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Well if you know him, then let me reverse course and say he's not a normal Local!

9. sembo

sembo Initiate (184) Feb 1, 2014 Minnesota
    Trader

You do? Reveal yourself!

PA-Michigander and Vidblain like this.
  10. Vidblain

Society Trader

PM'd and revealed!

sembo likes this.
  11. mythaeus

mythaeus Champion (801) Jul 22, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Like it or not, it's a part of the trading world. Has always been and will forever be, just like most other hobbies (though other hobbies don't have new acronyms/abbreviations added so often). Every trader was a new trader at some point. No matter where you started trading, chances are you will be trading on other sites, groups, etc. so you'll have to learn what these short hands mean regardless.

As someone who has been trading since 2013 with "a few" trades under my belt, I've begin to not know what some of these short hands mean since I've slowed my trading significantly the past year and stopped chasing new releases. Moreover, most of the new acronyms form within days, if not hours of releases. That said, if I really wanted to know, I'd just ask. No shame in that.

Junior and Sideshow_Luke_Perry like this.
  12. WIBeerSnob

WIBeerSnob Initiate (146) Jan 31, 2017 Wisconsin
    Trader

I would agree with Sideshow. In fact, when I view the
    I would have to agree. This is my first year trading and I probably only understand a small portion of the abbreviations. In fact, if I see a trade request where someone is asking for a beer I have, I'll just skip over it if I don't understand what he's offering. If everyone would just spell it out, I feel traders would find it easier obtaining what they need.

That's just me...now get off my lawn!!!!

13. stouts4everyone

stouts4everyone Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2016 Georgia

No, you guys are adapting to a hobby that has a pretty well established way of doing things. It's up to you guys to learn the rules, lingo, etc. All of us had to do it.

14. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Zealot (554) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Trader

I think the point being made is maybe everyone doesn't need to use short-hand for something that was released yesterday for the first time, for which only a select group of people would obviously know what it is. Yes, if you are new to the trade you have to learn what VR is, and even the more obscure "HBM" (Here Be Monsters). That said, I don't know that everyone should know that VBBBM should be "Vanila Bourbon Barrel Black Maple" from Jackie Os.

It seems pretty reasonable to be conscious of easing up on acronyms.

That said, as someone already pointed out, this could be used as a filtering mechanism. If someone really wants it, there's potential that they know the acronym from being in the thread(s) for that beer.

Vidblain likes this.
  15. Sideshow_Luke_Perry

Nothing special to add, just re-posting this helpful link near the end of the thread so it will be easy for others to find and use:

http://www.beertradingglossary.com/

Input is an acronym, output is a list of possible beers and breweries... a little time consuming for a long list, but very easy to use.

Vidblain likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.