Tampa Bay area recommendations (2019)

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by MHorridge, Jan 1, 2019.

1. MJS08

MJS08 Disciple (318) Jul 29, 2014 Florida
    Society

I believe the CCB Tasting Room will be remodeled this summer. Maybe the regulars can keep the visitors informed as I would expect a different ambiance during that time.

Also, I was lucky to find NASA in the cooler two weeks ago, fresh off the canning line. It's good, and, I believe, worthy of a year round brew. It no longer shows in the cooler, but they do answer the phones. Space Pope and NASA now neck and neck as my favorites.

Cheers!

2. Beer_Baron87

Beer_Baron87 Initiate (29) Feb 15, 2019 Florida

I stopped into CCB on Monday hoping to snag a pack of NASA. Unfortunately they were sold out, but I did get to try it on draft. Also walked away with a bottle of Celestial Insurance, so at least I wasn’t empty handed outside of me El Catador pickups.

I hope they bring back Space Bishop soon

3. Thirst_trappist

Thirst_trappist Aspirant (274) Jan 18, 2016 Florida
    Trader

Another remodel?

4. MJS08

MJS08 Disciple (318) Jul 29, 2014 Florida
    Society

I just called and was told work will begin sometime in July, lasting 6 to 8 weeks.

Thirst_trappist likes this.
  5. FrankenMiller

FrankenMiller Initiate (179) Mar 5, 2014 Florida
    Trader

Not a remodel but a full blown redo. The bathrooms and the cooler wall were the first step. From what one of the Beertenders told me on my last trip they are going to make a horseshoe type bar moving the OG brew system that is in the fermentarium. Looking to spend close to $1M on the whole place.

Im heading to tampa with a buddy tomorrow, i see if i can get more info.

6. Thirst_trappist

Trader

Interesting. Hopefully they make the space more usable

the_bavarian likes this.
  7. Joehio

Joehio Initiate (87) Sep 7, 2016 Florida

I heard they were adding a kitchen. But I don’t remember when I heard that.

8. itracy63

itracy63 Devotee (407) Apr 20, 2013 Washington

Headed to the Tampa area Thursday for the first time. I feel like I’ve got a handle on where I’m gonna go in the Tampa area. Two questions though, are there craft options at Tropicana Field and does anybody have any recommendations for the drive between Tampa and Pensacola?

9. Beer_Baron87

Beer_Baron87 Initiate (29) Feb 15, 2019 Florida

Tropicana does have some craft options inside the stadium, pretty much at every other beer vendor station. I’d recommend to hit up a few breweries before hand that are within walking distance to the stadium (Green Bench, 3 Daughters, Cycle). There are several others, but those are the main 3 I go checkout when I’m in the area.

I’m also partial to Fergs for a pre or post game meal. Wings there are some of the best I’ve had and it’s a big party scene before and after games.

Have fun!

itracy63 likes this.
  10. itracy63

3 Daughters is a must since I have 3 daughters!

11. MHorridge

MHorridge Zealot (502) May 16, 2010 Florida
    Society Trader

I can’t argue too much with what @Beer_Baron87 has thrown out. You shouldn’t have a hard time finding local craft at the Trop.

Presuming this is your first time in the area, I’d vote for the local flavor (Cuban) of Bodega over the very good, but ubiquitous, sports-bar food of Ferg’s. You can take it across the street to Green Bench, let the kiddos burn off some energy in their lawn area and drink a broad spectrum of delicious beer.

I think that once you leave the Tampa Bay area, your next beer “stop” would be Gainesville (there is at least one fairly current thread on it). And then you need to get to the Panhandle — and Tallahassee (Proof and Ology) specifically — before you’ll find anything of note. I feel like you can find a relatively current thread on the Pensacola area. Safe travels; enjoy your stay here!

12. Lare453

Lare453 Meyvn (1,386) Feb 1, 2012 Florida
    Trader

Not a beer place but if you want high end dining, the Gand tasting menu at noble rice is as close to a Michelin starred restaurant as you’ll get in Florida.

darkwing1 likes this.
  13. FrankenMiller

Trader

I just hit up St Pete last Thursday. Green Bench has quite a few hazy ipas on. Turbid 7 and Turbd 14, Sunshine Skyway, and a few "test" batch ipas.

14. shand

shand Meyvn (1,421) Jul 13, 2010 Florida

Yes, their variance for the kitchen was approved by the city last month, so they're going full speed ahead with it.

SWChi and the_bavarian like this.
  15. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,654) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. We're heading down on Saturday- so I've started making a handy list and I can't wait to check all of these places out. Cheers!

16. Mateo2699

Mateo2699 Zealot (564) Jun 9, 2015 Texas
    Trader

Is there any place that's close to downtown tampa worth checking out? We're staying at the Hilton, and looking for a nice bar (craft beer-centric is a plus) that's close to downtown and open late. It seems like all the lively places open up late are in Ybor, anything close to downtown worth checking out?

17. odsbodkins

odsbodkins Initiate (28) Jan 3, 2010 Georgia

Not beer centric but there is great bar near that hotel called Hotel Bar. Really good cocktails and a few good beers available. Gin Joint and Anise are also good places for drinks. There is small pub near there that I've seen Angry Chair beers on and a couple of other good things, Anchor Bar.

Lare453 likes this.
  18. Lare453

Lare453 Meyvn (1,386) Feb 1, 2012 Florida
    Trader

late start brewing at the pour house, hidden springs, garagiste meadery are all pretty close to the Hilton.

Two great craft cocktail bars within walking distance are hotel bar and cw’s gin joint.

Thirst_trappist likes this.
  19. MHorridge

Society Trader

Sparkman Wharf, Armature Works, Hall on Franklin ... with all three offering the added bonus of food. Sparkman Wharf is mostly outdoors so weather may impact your time there (and it will be PACKED on Thursday).

HeartofMiami likes this.
  20. jojo2112

jojo2112 Initiate (164) Sep 24, 2014 Pennsylvania

We may have been there at the same time. I thought the Turbid's and Skyway were decent, nothing special. Probably the highlight for me down there was the TBBC Hop Silo 6. That was delicious. Picked up a 4 pack from Hawthorne. Wish I got more and brought some home with me. Also went to Cycle. Couldn't believe how dead it was on a Thursday night.

LennyRubio likes this.
  21. Mateo2699

Mateo2699 Zealot (564) Jun 9, 2015 Texas
    Trader

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I didn’t realize Hotel Bar is pretty much right across the street, I’ll definitely check out that place. A place with great cocktails is a plus, because the people I’ll be with aren’t all into craft beer. And I really enjoyed Hall on Franklin last time we went, we will stop there again for sure.

22. itracy63

Visited Cycle last night, also couldn’t believe how dead it was the evening before a holiday! I’ve actually been surprised, in general, with the lack of crowds here, it’s been quite enjoyable.

LennyRubio likes this.
  23. MHorridge

Society Trader

Here are a few mid-year updates to items specifically listed in posts 1 and 2 here:
    1. Coppertail is in the midst of taking over its in-house kitchen from Stein & Vine. I believe the plan is to have the new kitchen going in August.
    2. Green Bench's Webb's City Cellar is open Thursdays-Sundays and it's gorgeous. (Also, GBB paid big bucks to lay down FieldTurf in its outdoor area so it's better than ever.) The general setup is that they serve clean beers in the original tap room and farmhouse/wild stuff in Webb's City.
    3. Saint Somewhere's Bob Sylvester shuttered his Tarpon Springs brasserie and is back doing tours on weekends at the brewery. Keep up with his schedule on social media.
    4. Inoculum has closed its downtown St Pete tap room to concentrate on its production facility. The company's social-media post indicated keeping up with a tap room 90 minutes away from the brewery was stretching the staff so they opted to focus exclusively -- for the time being -- on making beer.

24. FrankenMiller

Trader

3- Bob makes great beer, but he is so against evolving his beer to the tastes of the market that he just could not sustain that expensive taproom. No one on a day trip to Tamps is going to go off the beaten path for a Saisonfest. He brings new meaning to "STAY OFF MY LAWN"
    4- Inoculum makes decent beer, but the few times I was in the taproom Nick was a condescending ass! good riddance.

25. Crim122

Crim122 Aspirant (239) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina

Wife and I will be in the area this weekend for a quick family trip. Getting food in Tarpon Springs & carrollwood. Anything in either area beyond Saint Somewhere? Which we're going to try and hit.

26. FrankenMiller

Trader

If your going to be in the Carrollwood area it really is not that far to Angry Chair or 7th Sun Tampa. Not much out in the CW area or even Tarpon Springs.

Crim122 likes this.
  27. Crim122

Awesome. I was hoping to swing a trip to Angry Chair, and we're getting dinner at Noble Crust. Will try to pop in there before or after.

28. shand

A new brewery, Unrefined Brewing, opened a couple weeks in what was the Brasserie Saint Somewhere (Saint Somewhere is now back in the warehouse). Haven't been yet but I've heard good things.

29. MHorridge

Society Trader

Hey, Jacob; welcome back!

In Tarpon alone are Unfrefined in the former Brasserie (as @shand mentioned), Silverking Brewing and Two Frogs Brewing. Also, Bob is still doing tours on the weekend at the Saint Somewhere facility; definitely call head, though. (And if you don't get baklava at Hellas, you really haven't done Tarpon!)

And, in fact, there is a Brass Tap not too far south of Noble Crust in Carrollwood that brews some of its own beer.

Sure, Carrollwood-to-Seminole Heights isn't that far ... as the crow flies. Moving north-south along Dale Mabry is a pain in the ass, though, as is moving east-west from Mabry to Florida Avenue. I'm not saying don't do it; however, I AM saying make sure you really have time to do so.

If your in-laws are in Pasco, don't skip Escape Brewing in Trinity!

30. kma5783

kma5783 Initiate (21) Jun 30, 2019 Florida
    Trader

If you're open to changing your dinner plans, go to Rooster & the Till for dinner and then Angry Chair(Only 2 Blocks South).

One of the best meals you'll get in Tampa and for a reasonable price! And one of the best breweries!

31. Crim122

While that does sound fantastic, I totally forgot we're doing an Escape Room before or after dinner :/

And that menu looks too adventurous for her family. I'll put it on the radar for her and I whenever we're back.

32. DamianX13

DamianX13 Initiate (107) Sep 18, 2012 Texas
    Trader

Visiting Tampa. Have been trying to find some Toppling Goliath beer to no avail. Is it really limited here. I'm not even looking for rare bottles. Just some pseudo, and that kind of stuff. We dont get them in Austin. Thanks.

33. Joehio

Joehio Initiate (87) Sep 7, 2016 Florida

Did you try the Total Wine on Dale Mabry right by Cigar City? They usually have a few TG brands on the shelf.

34. DamianX13

Trader

They were soldout.

35. shand

If, for whatever reason, you're going to be in the Lakeland area, you should be able to find Double Dry Hopped Pseudo Sue and King Sue at Grapevine. Likely not very helpful though.

36. DamianX13

Trader

Yeah, I'm just in tampa.‍♂️

37. DamianX13

Trader

Sounds like I'm gonna miss out on TG. Anything else out right now worth taking back home?

38. Thirst_trappist

Trader

Yeah almost every brewery local to FL in Tampa haha

Lare453, Bfairhurst74 and jloomis like this.
  39. gatorburt07

gatorburt07 Initiate (1) Jan 11, 2015

Does anyone know if Calusa distributes cans, specifically to the Tampa or Lakeland areas? Thanks.

40. jloomis

jloomis Aspirant (281) Jan 6, 2010 Florida
    Trader

Only available at the brewery in Sarasota