Tap room turn offs

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Caitlin3894, Jan 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. westcoastbeergeek

westcoastbeergeek Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2015 Canada (BC)

Further notes:

1) A turn off for me is places that don't allow kids ever. Well behaved kids are welcome, (yes I have them and bring them sometimes) but as a parent you have to respect the location too. Don't expect people to control their language, be reasonable with the time (is it 11PM? maybe not such a smart move). I've also seen many kids much better behaved and way less obnoxious than certain adult patrons in places. I can understand a time/seating restriction though.

2) I echo the feedback on places that never have anything unique at the taproom, like not even some test batches or brewery only options.

3) Lack of public transit options - especially taprooms far away from everything, that's basically a haven for impaired driving issues.

4) Tiny ass tables/shelves along the walls. Sometimes space is tight and I get it, but it's not the most enjoyable experience either.

5) Food trucks - I used to like these, but basically you have to leave your table go stand outside in the cold, bad weather, dark and wait for your over priced food from a smelly truck while not drinking beer. I wish you could order and have food brought to you (or that more would do this). It seems petty, but it's so much nicer than having to leave your table and wait outside for 5-10 minutes for your messy street tacos that you'll eventually spill all over yourself while trying to eat them.

FonyBones and Ericness like this.
  2. Tdizzle

Tdizzle Devotee (445) Dec 19, 2006 California
    Deactivated

Had this type of experience at Russian River.

CrimeDog and Whey2Hoppy like this.
  3. Tdizzle

Tdizzle Devotee (445) Dec 19, 2006 California
    Deactivated

Man, I agree with you. This happens a lot at restaurants in my area. 90% of the time, the sever has no idea what's on tap and they just say "An IPA, a red, a brown ale, and a stout." Great. Thanks...

4. JBogan

JBogan Savant (913) Jul 15, 2007 California
    Trader

Long picnic type communal tables designed to "encourage conversation".

Look, I'm not an anti social person but often I just want to enjoy a beer without having to hear about someone's political views, or domestic problems, or how bad their job is, or how their fantasy team is doing, or rattling off how many of the top 250 beers they've had etc. I'd rather not be artificially forced into carrying on this banter, thank you very much.

And yes, I know I can go home instead and have a beer, and often when possible I do, but then again I'm not always near home.

5. flaskman

flaskman Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2015 New York

PLASTIC CUPS !!!!! :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry: It happened to me at Woodcock Brothers in Wilson NY. I took a friend from Michigan there who is a brewmaster and we ordered a flight. They came in plastic cups. A total turn off. I never went back and I live 20 miles from there.

FonyBones likes this.
  6. souvenirs

souvenirs Crusader (721) Apr 18, 2013 Canada (BC)

1) Noise level so high you can't easily communicate with the person serving you, or have a conversation with someone.

2) Not displaying the list of what's available, both where I can easily see it when ordering and online so that I can see what's available before I go (and decide whether I want to go). Going out of your way to a brewery and then finding out only after you've traveled there that they don't currently have anything you're interested in is super disappointing.

3) Lack of visible pricing for everything being sold. I want to know what something costs before I decide to buy it. I do not have infinite money.

4) Not offering smaller servings, whether it be as a flight or as singles. Generally, I want to try as many beers as possible. If it's a flight, I want to choose my own beers, not what someone else thinks I should be drinking. If you want to charge more for certain beers than others, that's fine, but give me the option of having anything in a small serving size.

5) Serving beer in inappropriate glassware, although I admit I'm willing to tolerate this if the beer is good enough.

6) Lack of stylistic variety in beer offerings.

7) Not having enough seating. Being too popular is a good problem for the brewery, I know, but if I can't sit and drink my beer, I'm probably not going there at all.

8) Not having anything on tap that I can't already get bottled/canned at the liquor store. If it's the same beer, I'll drink at home, thanks.

I disagree on the wasting taps on cider one though, at least for places that have a large number of taps. If I'm going there, it's not for the cider, but I have people I like to drink with who can't drink beer. It's nice to be able to enjoy a beer somewhere that has something available for those people.

Oh, and while this wasn't a beer-focused establishment, I once was in a bar where the washroom was no bigger than a closet and included only a urinal and a sink, no toilet. NOPE.

7. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (14,810) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

I agree. I frequent three local taprooms that are really great, having 40 craft taps and great staff - but I have to make it a point to go there right away when they open at 11AM, or mid-afternoon so I miss folks having liquid lunch with their burger. Otherwise I can't sit at the bar, right in front of the taps. I take pictures to post here, and I like to capture the taps in the background.

8. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse Initiate (153) Jul 20, 2016 Indiana

Same for me at 3 Floyds. Awful service.

Beav42 and Tdizzle like this.
  9. JBogan

JBogan Savant (913) Jul 15, 2007 California
    Trader

Maybe I've just been lucky, but my visits to Russian River have all been very pleasant, with no sign of attitude from anyone working there.

Tdizzle likes this.
  10. Whey2Hoppy

Whey2Hoppy Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2016 New Jersey

Seems like out of all breweries, I hear that about Three Floyds the most. My worst experience was at Greysail Brewing, the supposed top brewery in Rhode Island, and boy do they know it.

rails likes this.
  11. HopsDubosc

HopsDubosc Initiate (178) Apr 24, 2015 Vermont

I couldn't agree more. We often bring our six year old with the following caveats:

a) It's daytime/early eve.
    b) It's a spot that serves food.
    c) We're just going for a single flight/pint and/or something to go.

There have been times we've walked in places that are packed/loud/intangibly "adult", and we're happy to do a quick about-face and revisit without the kid.

All he wants to do is sit there and quietly look at his Pokemon cards anyway :slight_smile:

sbb32, jhavs, cjgiant and 3 others like this.
  12. RogelioRodriguez

RogelioRodriguez Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2015 California

I agree. The staff at Russian River have ego problems. They also are overly fearful of security concerns. I feel like going to Russian River is like going to an airport, it's simply not fun.

Oh and if you happen to publish an on-line review with criticism, they'll pull you aside and 86 you...Yes that actually happened.

CrimeDog and Tdizzle like this.
  13. Fox82791

Fox82791 Devotee (462) Jun 20, 2014 New York

most have been said already, but:

- No/not up to date tap lists online
    - Weird hours
    - No small pours/forcing you to do full flights
    - Weird/strict growler policies
    - Not having any special beers for in house consumption (tap or bottle)
    - Lack of a reserve/vintage bottle list (kinda fits in with the above)
    - Not allowing outside bottles for sharing
    - Lack of variety on tap

FonyBones likes this.
  14. Whey2Hoppy

Whey2Hoppy Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2016 New Jersey

Wait, how did this happen? Did they know your username associated with you, and recognize you when you came in after they read the review?

CrimeDog likes this.
  15. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,932) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

Mostly it's the other patrons...condescending, know-it-all d-bags. Especially if they have a girl with them, or they have a non-craft, or new to craft beer friend with them. Makes me wanna punch them right in the mouth!!

There's a good reason why I do most of my drinking at home

16. ncaudle

ncaudle Initiate (0) May 28, 2010 Virginia

that is going to be strictly up to the local State ABC laws.
    if the state allows it but the brewery doesn't then you have an argument... Virginia doesn't allow it at breweries but they do allow it at bars/restaurants (and the bar/rest can charge a "corking" fee).

maximum12 and Fox82791 like this.
  17. Dan_K

Dan_K Zealot (520) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Trader

Denver is cracking down too. It's been really bad, at times.

I am at least somewhat sympathetic to parents with kids. I have 2 small kids myself. You can leave your dog at home alone, you can't leave your kid at home alone.

Duckaduck and Jmorey like this.
  18. TargaFlorio

TargaFlorio Crusader (762) Jul 3, 2012 Indiana

Not a common problem in tap rooms, but there's a place I visit occasionally that all but hides how much their beers cost. No prices on their boards, instead you have to dig to the back of the clipboard food menu to find them. (A problem if you aren't ordering food and they take the menus away.) But its only really an issue because the prices are so out of step with other area tap rooms. "I just paid how much for that holiday-spiced porter???"

One tap room patron issue I have is people who come in and ask to sample almost everything before they decide on what to order. When I go to a restaurant I don't ask to sample the entire menu before I order food, why do people think its ok to do that at a brewery? The servers are often busy enough without having to deal with this.

FonyBones and jhavs like this.
  19. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (2,081) Jul 2, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Thank you! I don't want to smell cotton candy or syrup in a hazy room for hours.

CrimeDog and Whey2Hoppy like this.
  20. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (2,081) Jul 2, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Sadly. A brewer will take all my money if they have one. Finding yards Brawler on tap last week. I must have had 7 of them at $6 bucks a piece. Not to mention. All the food. Gotta have something for everybody.

KarlHungus and ecpho like this.
  21. jj139

jj139 Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2013 California

Exactly!

Ranbot likes this.
  22. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,302) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Unfortunately for you, most folks hate other patrons' smoke, hence the many current statutes everywhere that prohibit smoking in a public place. The one thing that irritates me most about "many" smokers is the utter "willingness" to toss their butts wherever they wish. I see it all of the time and it really pisses me off, and I very often say so. Smoking is fine as a personal choice, but the Earth is not an/your ashtray! The last thing that my Father said to me as he was struggling for breath and dying from emphysema was; "I wish I had never seen a god-damned cigarette". This was permanently riveting.

NotHereForGold, zid, meefmoff and 8 others like this.
  23. CrimeDog

CrimeDog Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2015 New York

I don't think you should bring a kid to a brewery for any length of time anyway...Maybe to pick up a growler or stickers (HA) but there is nothing there for them - unless you gave them an ipad and told them to sit there and STFU.

My kids would be like what the hell are you bringing me here for? Also, what are you going to do - pump them up about beer? I think that's weird.

24. CrimeDog

Totally agree! Smoking sucks and why would you want to smoke when you're drinking expensive craft beer?

25. CrimeDog

Yes! Love that post! So true! My wife also doesn't like it when I drink by myself and I'm like I just want to sit and enjoy a beer by myself listen to music or read BA!

beerluvr likes this.
  26. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,675) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I don't think I've ever seen children in a brewery that is a taproom only, and I assume that type of place is where you are coming from with your comment. Most breweries that I visit are also a good family restaurant, and I think that is the type of place that mostly everyone with 'kid' comments in this thread are talking about.

27. McMatt7

McMatt7 Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2014 Pennsylvania

Didn't mean to piss you off or strike a nerve pal, you've quoted my post twice now. It was just a smart ass joke. Im fine with not being able to smoke in breweries and i also don't litter. Sorry to hear about your dad.

RC51Mike likes this.
  28. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,302) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I'm sorry. I was hoping you were joking, but one never knows. Thanks for the message. But I do hate cigarettes!

29. WIED

WIED Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2008 Montana

I was at three different breweries before going to see Jay Leno and each place was filling growlers and just giving them a quick wipe off after capping instead of a rinse and a wipe off. If I drove my growlers two hours (one way) and lugged them around to different places to get filled for later I expect not to have me, my cooler, and my car to not smell like beer.

30. meb3476

meb3476 Aspirant (206) Apr 1, 2013 Massachusetts

"Like" isn't strong enough word for this

31. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (5,581) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

From reading this thread, I think I would probably like hanging out with the kids and dogs much better, which everyone seems to be so terrified of, than some of the people posting here. :rolling_eyes:

#151 champ103, Feb 2, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  32. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

An unfortunate truth of the taproom is that while they may be able to get a sixtel or half barrel keg to tap first before it gets sent out. Once that beer goes to market. They have to chase it too. Unique beers like what you mention are probably only going to exist in that keg you have at the tap take over. They probably make a sixtel of it for the taproom. BUt once its gone. Its gone. No one wants to sit on several pallets worth of half barrels of a cucumber infused session pale with belgian yeast for longer than they have to.

33. tepie

tepie Initiate (80) Aug 26, 2015 Ohio

I hate when I can't sit outside at a tap room because there are bees everywhere. I know the tap room can't really fix the issue, but it does bother me. Seems to happen more when I visit breweries than just visiting restaurants.

FonyBones and Tmwright7 like this.
  34. ecpho

ecpho Aspirant (252) Mar 28, 2011 New York

If I saw a bunch of neckbeards ticking away on uptapped I'd not want to return.
    Happens whenever Grimm is tapped in my area.

Most taprooms I've been to have food, board games and sometimes the game on TV to help entertain kids. I bring my kid and there's never a problem. I also don't go to pretentious places

Jmorey and champ103 like this.
  35. Sparty93

Sparty93 Initiate (50) Aug 29, 2013 Michigan

I'm not really referring to rare/limited beers - I get it that Goose Island may not have Bourbon County on 24/7. It's more about having something interesting that I can't just buy at a bottle store. As an example, here in mid-Michigan, Bell's is always a fun stop because you know that there are going to always be a half dozen or more rotating one-off's or experimental beers that you'll never try anywhere else. They don't make pallets of them, just small batches of "hey, let's see if anybody likes this". In contrast, Dark Horse for years (although it's improved a bit recently) has had pretty much the exact same tap list as what you can buy off the shelf at most stores. For years, I bet people could have named 95% of their tap list at any point in the year without having to bother actually looking.

Jmorey and PapaGoose03 like this.
  36. Sparty93

Sparty93 Initiate (50) Aug 29, 2013 Michigan

Totally agree with #1. I have no problem with kids, but the parents need to know what they're getting into. Too many parents with little children at totally inappropriate times. A special release and the place is going to be packed? Your kids are going to be miserable. It's Friday at midnight, or right in the middle of the hyped-up rivalry football game? I don't need to get a lecture about being loud or using "adult" language in front of somebody's family. You made the choice to expose them to the environment that you now find yourselves in.

37. Dravin

Dravin Initiate (179) Apr 27, 2014 Indiana

My tap room turn offs:
    • No food. It doesn't have to be hot or fancy, some cold soft pretzels and mustard are acceptable.
    • Noisy. I understand people make noise, but the way some spaces are designed make things worse and some even play music at annoying levels.
    • Uncomfortable. Uncomfortable seating, too cold, or too hot are bad things. I realize an ideal temperature is subjective so it not sitting at my personal ideal is okay but some places seem to have broken thermostats.
    • An unimpressive tap list. If it reads like the core line up of a brewery it better be of breweries that I can't just pick up at the local store. It doesn't have to be some super limited release, but some draft only options from the brewery are a nice incentive or a few taps from some non-local brewery.
    • Non-existent or outdated tap lists. I understand kegs can kick at the last minute, but screens, chalkboards, and simple printed lists mean you can update things quickly and I don't have to play, "Do they actually have it or have they just not updated the tap list?"
    • Uninformative tap lists. I feel like the name, brewery, ABV, serving size, price, and style are something I shouldn't have to ask my server for when I had a tap list in front of me. It's fine if you have serving size and price grouped into brackets at the top of the menu based on ABV or something. A little leg work doesn't bug me, but being completely in the dark does.
    • Uninformed Servers. I don't need my server to be a walking encyclopedia and I can understand that a large heavily rotated tap list may mean they need to check on something, but don't give me wrong information When combined with uninformative tap lists this can get frustrating when between the tap list and the server I'm still not sure what beers they have.

FonyBones likes this.
  38. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (472) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

Been reading this thread on and off since it started.
    I can't really disagree with most of what's been posted - with caveats to most of them.
    I am a pretty easy-going sort of guy, so I can make myself reasonably comfortable pretty much anywhere. I do like to see tables and chairs around, but sometimes due to expected crowds, it's just not something that can be done. Look at Trillium's new place (to use one nearby me.) They only have a few high-tops tables in their space, and a few more standing areas, but they obviously were planning to be pretty crowded a lot of the time, so having rows of tables #1 would get in the way of people waiting in line, and #2 would sevesly limit the number of people that could come in.
    The space they have more or less dictated where they could put one area versus the other - they have one bar for pours and another for to-go options, so they are doing what they can for each of those.
    Food is another thing too - many breweries around here are building relationships with food trucks, to come in to their place. once or twice a week. While I would like to see food options all the time, this again runs into licensing, space and cost issues. Someone running a brewery doesn't often know how to run a kitchen, and doesn't have the space or money to hire someone to do so.

FonyBones likes this.
  39. zstef99

zstef99 Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2008 New York

Even if you feel kids shouldn't be there, I don't think it's a major sacrifice to abstain from "adult" language in front of children.

People swearing in front of my kids, whatever the situation, is a pet peeve of mine.

40. zacky_U

zacky_U Initiate (0) May 22, 2013 Michigan

Serving EVERY style of beer in a snifter.

Jmorey and DLang713 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.