Taproom Nation: Small Craft Breweries Expand Their Footprints

Discussion in 'Article Comments' started by BeerAdvocate, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeerAdvocate

BeerAdvocate Admin (4,017) Aug 23, 1996 Finland
    Staff Pooh-Bah

Attracted by the idea of increased brand awareness and selling directly to consumers, breweries tackle growth by opening multiple locations in their hometowns. We look at examples in San Diego, Grand Rapids, Mich., and Asheville, N.C.

Read the full article: Taproom Nation: Small Craft Breweries Expand Their Footprints

chrismattlin likes this.
  2. Squire

Squire Grand Pooh-Bah (3,981) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'm in favor of local brewers expanding their footprint.

jakecattleco, chrismattlin and VABA like this.
  3. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Initiate (0) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania

We're certainly seeing this expansion even in a small market like Pittsburgh. Certain states, however, limit how many locations that you can have. Pennsylvania is one of them.

KevSal likes this.
  4. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

In Pennsylvania each brewery is permitted to open two taprooms/tasting rooms. One example is Conshohocken Brewing which has two brewing locations: Main brewery in Conshohocken and a Brewpub they opened in Bridgeport a year or so ago. Since they have two brewing locations they can open up four taprooms/tasting rooms. One of these taprooms/tasting rooms is opening this evening in Phoenixville and another will open early next year in Havertown.

https://www.thetowndish.com/2017/05...ny-open-new-locations-phoenixville-havertown/

My guess is they will see how these two new businesses work out before deciding whether to open two more.

Cheers!

KevSal likes this.
  5. KevSal

KevSal Pooh-Bah (2,916) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Fieldwork is a great example of this at work. 5 locations all around northern California. I wish more norcal breweries would do the same.

#5 KevSal, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    Brent212 likes this.
  6. HeilanCoo

HeilanCoo Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2014 North Carolina
    Deactivated

The Asheville wrap-up forgot one of the more venerable players: Catawba Brewing. Started in nearby Morganton, opened first one and then a 2nd location in Asheville, and recently a large facility in Charlotte. That's 4 points of sale and counting.

Also, no matter what their press says, that ain't no rooftop brewery at the GreenMansion.

lateralusbeer likes this.
  7. Keene

Keene Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2009 Washington

Thanks for reading and for pointing out our omission. You're absolutely right, but as you can imagine, it can be tough to include every single example of a trend in one article. As for Green Man, we refer to a rooftop bar in the article, not a rooftop brewery.

HeilanCoo likes this.
  8. HeilanCoo

HeilanCoo Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2014 North Carolina
    Deactivated

My mistyping skills amaze me. I also meant to say rooftop bar. But it still ain't on top.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.