Teach A Friend to Brew Day: Who's Brewing?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jbakajust1, Nov 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Crusader (777) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon

Brewing a Belgian Tripel w/ Brett (WY Trappist Blend). 15% Sugar, 21% Wheat, 50/50 Pale/Pils, touch of Aromatic, Santiam. Should be around 1.077 OG, 8.9%ABV, 32 IBUs. How bout yall?

2. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Champion (891) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia

I'm brewing a nice simple IPA recipe that I came up with, and am doing again differently.

Maris Otter(62%), Vienna(23%), Munich(7%), and a bit of C10(4%) and C20(4%). Gonna hop burst it with Amarillo, Cascade, Citra, Simcoe to roughly 75-80 IBU's and gonna try a new dry yeast since I'm too lazy at this point in the game to make a starter for it. Using the BRY-97 west coast ale yeast, haven't used it before.. Suppose to be a really clean chico yeast that is highly flocculant, and has medium/high attenuation.

Should be round 1.070 ish, finish around 1.010 or so, nice and light, dry and blasted with some good hops.

3. MrOH

MrOH Poo-Bah (2,012) Jul 5, 2010 Malta
    Society

Brewing a dunkelweizen that'll use up the last of my 2011 german hops (1.5 oz Saphir). Already out of the english types. Have enough american hops to do one more hop soup. Can't wait for this year's pellets to be released.

4. antlerwrestler19

antlerwrestler19 Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2010 Nebraska

Going with 10 gallons of a single hop pale ale - all Simcoe (12.2 aa) - very stoked.

16lbs 2 Row
    1lb 8oz Honey Malt (honey malt is a "signature" of my recipes)
    8oz Crystal 40
    1lb Sucrose

1oz @ 60
    .5oz @ 20
    .5oz @ 10
    1oz @ 5
    1oz @ Whirlpool @ 160F
    1oz dry hop for 5 days then another 1 oz for 7

Wyeast 1.056 American Ale with a nice starter to bump it and make it worthy of 10 gallons.

OG = 1.052, IBUs = 38, ABV 5.5%

Cheers everyone!

5. basscram

basscram Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2006 Maine
    Deactivated

In the whole process of showing a friend the whole brewing process. teaching him his first homebrew with bottling going to happen today of his belgian style tripel. I'm going to steal some bottles. haha. Also doing a secondary of my ale with homegrown Columbus hops. I'm going to do another smash beer BIAB method. I kinda like this!! I did a yeast starter on some yeast I've saved on its second generation. I'm afraid it won't take off but that's ok. I got some safale 05 on standby. I'm not looking to brew the next best thing but my fermentors are very unhappy right now.

6. bbarrows

bbarrows Initiate (0) Sep 14, 2008 California

DC Homebrewers are doing an extract and all grain brew day at 3 Stars brewing company. If you're in the area, stop by, we'll be there til 5-6 or so.

7. bgjohnston

bgjohnston Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2009 Connecticut

I was not aware of an official teach a friend to brew day, but it sounds great. As it happens, I am brewing with a friend tomorrow, sharing with him my recipe and process for a favorite all-grain, hoppy pale ale that he wants to serve at Thanksgiving dinner this year. It will be his first brew day.

8. MrOH

MrOH Poo-Bah (2,012) Jul 5, 2010 Malta
    Society

Oh, so far as teaching, I'll be teaching myself to do a decoction to mash-out.

9. kaips1

kaips1 Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2011 Kentucky

i wont be brewing today but i will be cleaning bottles for bottle day tomorrow and another bottle day on wednesday. then itll be back to brewing since all my fermenters will be free

10. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,965) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

Brewing by myself -- an ordinary bitter.

11. JebediahScooter

JebediahScooter Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2010 Vermont

Brewing an oatmeal porter with cocoa nibs and coffee tomorrow.

12. OldThreeHundred

OldThreeHundred Initiate (0) Jul 8, 2011 Texas

Ganna brew a clone of Hair of the Dog brewing company's Adambier.

13. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Crusader (777) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon

Everything went great. It was kind of cool to be a part of this event since 2 years ago it was at this event that I learned to brew. Hit 81% eff, and got an extra 1/4 gallon out of the deal.

14. CASK1

CASK1 Disciple (307) Jan 7, 2010 Florida

My club did a group brew at the LHBS. Great weather, great turnout, lots of interest. Fun times!

15. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Champion (891) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia

Some of the local clubs did the same thing today, I'm not a member, but might join one soon. Didn't make it out there, but wish I could have, sounded fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.