tequilla barrel aged brews?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by fartmaster, Apr 26, 2012.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fartmaster

fartmaster Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2011 California

who makes these
    i know of cucapa and mikkeller now, but im really interested in this concept, being i love tequilla.
    thanks
    and i mean stuff distributed to california and easily accesible, i know can look it up, but ill get a lot of limited brewed and limited access results
    BRian

edit: tequilla, for all you spelling freaks

2. greenspointexas

greenspointexas Pooh-Bah (2,001) Jan 16, 2011 Texas
    Pooh-Bah Society

Twisted X, a new brewery here in Austin does a Tequila-Barrel-Aged Schwarzbier (spelling?). Its fantastic

wagenvolks likes this.
  3. daysinthewake

daysinthewake Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2010 California

4. checktherhyme

checktherhyme Pundit (902) Apr 8, 2008 Washington

Great question! I've only had Mikkellers and I loved it. Plus, Cinco de Mayo is coming up...

4balance likes this.
  5. fartmaster

exactly, the only one i know is around right now is the cucapa one.

6. fartmaster

draft only?

7. minnesotaryan

minnesotaryan Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2010 Minnesota

fartmaster is an awesome name.

yamar68 and 4balance like this.
  8. fartmaster

Le Pétomane ([​IMG] /ləˈpɛtəmn/, French pronunciation: [ləpetɔˈman]) was the stage name of the French flatulist (professional farter) and entertainer Joseph Pujol (June 1, 1857–1945). He was famous for his remarkable control of the abdominal muscles, which enabled him to seem to fart at will. His stage name combines the French verb péter, "to fart" with the -mane, "-maniac" suffix, which translates to "fartomaniac". The profession is also referred to as "flatulist", "farteur", or "fartiste".[1]
    It is a common misconception that Joseph Pujol actually passed intestinal gas as part of his stage performance. Rather, Pujol was able to "inhale" or move air into his rectum and then control the release of that air with his anal sphincter muscles. Evidence of his ability to control those muscles was seen in the early accounts of demonstrations of his abilities to fellow soldiers.

9. GregSVT

GregSVT Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2009 Texas

10. stupac2

stupac2 Pooh-Bah (2,031) Feb 22, 2011 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

The BA Black Holes were all over the place here a few months ago, I still seem some randomly. If you go to a few stores that don't move stuff quite as quickly, you might be able to just buy one.

11. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

Golden Road El Hefe Anejo.

12. shand

shand Pooh-Bah (2,166) Jul 13, 2010 Florida
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Cigar City just put out their El Murciélago double cream ale with lime and cumin aged in tequila barrels.

It's available enough (brewery release but not super limited) that you probably could trade for it with some Cali stuff.

13. cpinto6

cpinto6 Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2010 Georgia

That shit isn't very good, its just hard to find.

OP, El murcielago from CCB is a Double Cream Ale with cumin and lime peel added aged in tequila barrels.

I haven't tried that one so I can't comment on its quality.

Edit-shand beat me to the punch

14. dmoser

dmoser Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2009 California

i have good word that about 5 months down the road FW will have some sort of beer aged in tequila barrels. it is said to be sitting now.

15. WeaponTheyFear

WeaponTheyFear Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2008 Connecticut

How fresh did you have it? I really enjoyed it. I just quickly browsed the reviews and I have no idea why people think this beer would be good over a year later.

16. FosterJM

FosterJM Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2009 California

I gave it a 3.88 when I had it Thought it was still good. Lost something sitting but I liked it

Cheers!

17. Todd

Todd Founder (13,254) Aug 23, 1996 Finland
    Staff Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Word has it we'll be doing one soon; a tequila barrel-aged beer.

afrokaze likes this.
  18. ehammond1

ehammond1 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008

I didn't necessarily expect it to be good or bad after a year. I had zero expectations. The only time I've ever had it, it was provided by a friend, and the bottle happened to be a year old. It's not something I'd seek out, fresh or otherwise.

19. ShogoKawada

ShogoKawada Initiate (0) May 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

Zapata Bot was actually really good. I would love to see that as a rotating release.

jedwards and woosterbill like this.
  20. Drazzamatazz

Drazzamatazz Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2009 Maine

I'm really not a fan of the tequila barrel beers I've had. In nearly every case I've ended up thinking barrel aging hurt the base beer. Seems to be trending really hard right now, which worries me. Then again, maybe even everyone keeps trying them they might eventually end up working out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.