Terrapin Hopzilla - $$$?

Discussion in 'US - South' started by ontherocks, Apr 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ontherocks

ontherocks Initiate (143) Mar 4, 2008 Georgia

Does the Terrapin Hopzilla 12 oz. seem a bit pricey? Or is it just me?

2. jcb7472

jcb7472 Zealot (525) Jul 13, 2011 Florida

Not just you. It's $13.99 for a 4-pack where I shop here in Florida. I've enjoyed it on tap, but I'm not buying some to take home at that price.

3. thegoon55

thegoon55 Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2012 Massachusetts

The hopzilla side project was amazing... 4 pack not so much.

mondegreen and Beerness like this.
  4. Beerness

Beerness Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2010 North Carolina

Agreed....not sure if the recipe changed...but Hopzilla has not been the same since that first batch.

5. GatorBeerNerd

GatorBeerNerd Devotee (461) Sep 15, 2007 Georgia

Fixed the original question for you. The answers are: Yes, and no.

kp and kpanter like this.
  6. shand

shand Poo-Bah (1,765) Jul 13, 2010 Florida
    Society Trader

Wake & Bake is still a bargain though, even after inflating the price.

ThatCracker likes this.
  7. elgiacomo

elgiacomo Initiate (0) Jun 28, 2007 Georgia

Yup, Terrapin's prices keep creeping up on the specialties and seasonals....Side Project has held steady but has always been on the high side. They're not alone as Sweetwater has had price increases in the past year as well, both on their core brands and a recent increase on the Dank Tank series. Good craft value in Georgia is getting harder and harder to find...

8. GatorBeerNerd

GatorBeerNerd Devotee (461) Sep 15, 2007 Georgia

Let me know if you feel the same when Founder's Breakfast Stout is on shelves there soon for a few dollars less a 4 pack. This was the first year I did not buy Wake and Bake. Assuming the price stays the same, I will never buy it again unless someone from another state wants me to get it for them.

9. shand

shand Poo-Bah (1,765) Jul 13, 2010 Florida
    Society Trader

I guess I'll side by side my last FBS and a W&B to see exactly where I stand.

Immortale25 likes this.
  10. gdodd12

gdodd12 Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2009 Georgia

Sweetwater lowered their dank tank prices recently. They are cheaper by a couple bucks than side projects.

I though the hopzilla this year was good. But yes, it is ridiculously priced. Hard to keep supporting local when as good or better options from out of state are available for less money.

11. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,442) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Did it. FBS won.

12. samtallica

samtallica Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2010 North Carolina

Have done it a few times. WnB won. Although FBS and WnB are the same price here.

13. ndepriest

ndepriest Initiate (155) Feb 21, 2012 Georgia
    Trader

And don't forget people, FBS is moving to 6-packs for the same damn price as the 4-packs. But to answer the OP's question, yes, Hopzilla (and basically every Terrapin 4-pack) is overpriced. I'll go enjoy it at the brewery tours since it's cheap and 10 minutes away, but that's it.

14. beerFool28607

beerFool28607 Initiate (0) Feb 22, 2012 North Carolina

Or this year; when it will be in six packs at a cheaper price than Terrapin's four packs.

WnB is a great beer. I thought I liked it better than FBS but a friend set up a blind taste test and I couldn't tell them apart. That makes founders' offering the easy choice IMO..

15. mondegreen

mondegreen Devotee (442) Nov 4, 2009 Georgia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.