Terrapin is canning and releasing a refreshed RecreationAle

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Jason, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Jason

Jason Founder (8,470) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

Athens, GA (Feb 2020) - This month, Terrapin puts its newly reformulated RecreationAle in 16oz. cans!

RecreationAle, Terrapin’s Session IPA and first-ever canned beer is getting a new look. We lightened up the artwork, and the beer to reflect an important change: a lower calorie and carb count.

With 99 calories and 3.9 carbs per 12oz serving, this Lo Cal IPA still packs in all the *dry hop* flavor and aroma of the original RecreationAle. Now, it’s just that much easier to take Terrapin on all your adventures.

The beer will be available in a new package size as well: 12-packs of 16oz cans. This pack is perfect for throwing in a cooler to enjoy after a day on the trail, or in your beer fridge to sip at home.

Releasing first (for a limited time) on draft on February 19th at our breweries in Athens and Atlanta, the beer will be available in cans throughout Terrapin’s distribution footprint soon after.

RecreationAle Session IPA will continue to be available in 12oz cans the IPA Survival Kit until April when a new beer line up will be released across Terrapin's distribution footprint.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    About Terrapin Beer Co.
    Terrapin Beer Co. began as a daydream between founders John Cochran and Spike Buckowski, who brewed and released their first beer in 2002. Inspired by the creative culture of Athens, Ga., the brewery’s home, Terrapin continues to produce unique beers year after year. Whether you’re joining us for a brewery tour at our tasting room, drinking a Hopsecutioner at your favorite watering hole, enjoying some Luau Krunkles on the beach, sipping some Up-Hi on your back porch, or enjoying a RecreationAle after a long day on the trail, we hope you appreciate the dedication we’ve put into our beers.

seakayak likes this.
  2. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (263) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

So...in the race for sub 100 calorie beers, they release a beer that is 99 calories per 12 ounces...in 16 oz. cans. :thinking_face:

3. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,799) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Will be curious to try this when I get back over to Florida. This was a staple in the ice chest a few years ago, but found it lacking on flavor. I hope the reformulation introduces more hops :slight_smile:

4. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,663) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

I don't see the problem... you and three friends split 3 cans! Sitting around the campfire after your hike, crack open 3 cans, take a swig and pass in around! :wink::rolling_eyes:

Hoos78 likes this.
  5. BrewHound601

BrewHound601 Initiate (24) Jan 30, 2020

No offense but does BA take 'BIG BEER' money? This appears to be an advertisement and full disclosure especially with the 'low calorie' craze Terrapin is owned by Miller. I have nothing against Miller or Coors(though, I have zero respect for Bud) but I don't know this doesn't look too promising for free thinking beer drinkers.

6. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,799) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Can't answer if they take $$ from Big Beer, but if you go thru the Beer News & Releases you will see they do this quite frequently for other beers/breweries

BrewHound601 likes this.
  7. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,663) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Brewery news releases are regularly posted here. Stick around awhile. You'll figure it out.

BrewHound601 likes this.
  8. zid

zid Meyvn (1,411) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Last I heard, BeerAdvocate no longer knowingly accepts ad revenue from AB InBev specifically. Regarding your concern, I'm not sure what the big difference would be "for free thinking beer drinkers" if they accepted ad revenue from Molson Coors as opposed to Stone (for example). A Stone ad wouldn't be less of an ad than a Molson Coors one, but it might be a bit less transparent as one to some.

@Todd

9. Todd

Todd Founder (5,748) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

Correct. We took this stance years ago, but to be honest...I wouldn't say no to their money if they wanted to today. Keeping the lights on is more important.

People often confuse posting a press release as advertising, but we don't get paid to post press releases nor is posting them anything new for this site or others.

Cc: @BrewHound601

10. montman

montman Devotee (401) Mar 10, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

If I were a free thinking beer drinker, I probably wouldn't let any particular post bother me too much.

11. BrewHound601

Thanks for clearing it up.

Todd likes this.
  12. BrewHound601

I guess you just take what der commissar dishes out to you then.

13. montman

montman Devotee (401) Mar 10, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

Welcome to the site, you are doing stellar so far.

BrewHound601 and beertrip like this.
  14. BrewHound601

BeerAdvocate needs some brash and vulgar.